Send Topic Print
legal suicide (Read 166 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

legal suicide
01/19/15 at 23:55:17

I watched this video and I was wondering if any of you do this. It's legal in California I guess. I know Versy lives in LA and a couple of others if I remember right.  How in the heck could they legalize something this suicidal?  Not legal here in Oregon, but even if it was, no way am I going to try it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=977zYEqpsSE

And this is what happens when you lane split in a truck. Luckiest man ever!
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2015/01/interstate...

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: legal suicide
Reply #1 - 01/20/15 at 01:56:56

I will lane split when absolutely necessary and I hate every minute of it and I don't do it at those speeds.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/20/15 at 03:29:28

In CA lane splitting is not illegal....and recently the Highway Patrol had to remove suggested guidelines for lane splitting from their website...as somebody got upset because they felt that by posting guidelines - the Highway Patrol was endorsing the act.

The guidelines are/were:

"You should lane-split no faster than 10 mph over the speed of traffic around you, and we recommend (motorcyclists) not split at all if the traffic is faster than 30 mph."

Lane splitting is not permission to pass folks at any time and any place, and you are not given special permission to exceed the  speed limits.  The Officers can ticket anyone they believe is operating recklessly....I have no idea how they expect to catch them in all that traffic (other than opening their door as the lane splitter tries to pass.

There is no doubt in my mind that the folks that lane split at excessive speeds are taking risky chances with their well being.....and not all will win that gamble.

« Last Edit: 01/20/15 at 04:57:47 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 01/20/15 at 04:18:03

It is basically so you can keep the bike moving in slow to stopped traffic.It was designed in hot weather areas before bikes were water cooled.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 01/20/15 at 04:19:56

We (my family; wife, daughter, and son) were sitting in traffic yesterday in our "big city" about 35 miles away, when a crotch rocket comes past us splitting lanes. We might have been crawling along toward the stoplight, or we might have been completely stopped, I can't remember. The guy seemed to be flying, but only because we were stopped and he had one of those obnoxious mufflers on the bike. My kids (16 & 21) kind of freaked out, what was that!?

I told the the guy was splitting lanes, pretty sure it was legal in NC, they started jabbering about it was dangerous, stupid, etc. You don't do that, do you?

Of course not, I'm too old and fat for that nonsense. (I really don't, not that many places I am in that much of a hurry to get to.)

My point? IDK, it happens and people realize it is not he smartest thing to do.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/20/15 at 05:05:20

This issue is a very controversial issue - hotter than an oil thread in most cases.

Here is a link to a description of the lane splitting/filtering in Wikipedia.  It is not specifically legal in any state......although CA evidently does not specifically prohibit it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/20/15 at 07:07:35

I'd do it, but I'd be a lot more wary of driver who is in or soon will be in a place to make a lane change. The distracted,texting,maybe drifting,driver is not something I would expect to be able to predict... I would not want to need to do that often..
He honked and cussed at a driver who made a legitimate lane change.
That creates animosity toward the riders and I think he is an arrogant jakkass.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/20/15 at 07:23:21

Dave wrote on 01/20/15 at 03:29:28:
In CA lane splitting is not illegal....and recently the Highway Patrol had to remove suggested guidelines for lane splitting from their website...as somebody got upset because they felt that by posting guidelines - the Highway Patrol was endorsing the act.

The guidelines are/were:

"You should lane-split no faster than 10 mph over the speed of traffic around you, and we recommend (motorcyclists) not split at all if the traffic is faster than 30 mph."

Lane splitting is not permission to pass folks at any time and any place, and you are not given special permission to exceed the  speed limits.  The Officers can ticket anyone they believe is operating recklessly....I have no idea how they expect to catch them in all that traffic (other than opening their door as the lane splitter tries to pass.

There is no doubt in my mind that the folks that lane split at excessive speeds are taking risky chances with their well being.....and not all will win that gamble.

Most likely they took it down because most of them do not follow it, and some greatly exceed it.
Of course there are a few that will lay down the law cause they can.
And besides the former guidelines, there's a law somewhere that allows it.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 01/20/15 at 07:56:36

I wouldn't mind being allowed to roll gently to the front of the cue at a light,... or roll though a traffic snarl at walking speed between lanes,... but through speeding traffic it does seem really dangerous, and must scare the carp out of cagers too...
Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/20/15 at 09:04:27

While I have no "Dog in this Fight".....I am a member of the AMA, and lane splitting is an issue that receives a lot of comments and articles.
http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/PositionStatements/LaneSplitting.aspx

The most current information is that no state has enacted legislation that approves it.  Here is some of what the AMA has said recently:

"For decades, California has been the only state to permit lane splitting. While not specifically permitted or prohibited in the California Vehicle Code, lane splitting authority comes from the California Highway Patrol. In early 2013, the CHP published lane splitting guidelines for the first time. While the guidelines do not carry the force of law, they provide clear indicators under which a motorcyclist might be cited for unsafe or imprudent behavior.

(SOURCE: Issued by the California Highway Patrol, California Motorcycle Safety Program in 2013, the guidelines were rescinded in 2014 for administrative reasons but are still viewable at “Lane Splitting General Guidelines.”

Legislatively, there has been state-level activity on lane splitting, although to date no bill has been enacted.

(SOURCE: California 2013 SB-350 would codify lane splitting but would also impose certain restrictions on motorcyclists.  Other states that have recently considered lane-splitting legislation include: Arizona (2010 HB-2475); Illinois (2006 SB-2439); Massachusetts (2007 HB-3493); Nevada (2013 AB-236); New Jersey (2012 AB-2102 and 2010 AB-140 and AB-1684); Oregon (2011 SB-463 and 2007 SB-386); Texas (2011 HB-1571 and 2009 SB-506); and Washington (2007 HB-2160 and SB-5985).

So.....if you get pulled over for lane splitting - doesn't appear that there is anything that says you are specifically "allowed" to do it.  It appears that if the California Highway Patrol used their "guidelines" to determine if you are "ticket worthy" when lane splitting. (But wadda' I know....I have only been in CA once....and that was 50 years ago!).

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/20/15 at 09:42:34

I'm generally passed by squids and motocops.
So I'd have to say my lane splitting is generally conservative.
Only full dress hogs are slower.

I'll have to check the m/c handbook for what I recall is there.

WWW   IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #11 - 01/20/15 at 09:50:42

Here in Austin we have traffic that is probably just as bad as, if not worse than L.A. I feel like lane splitting on a daily basis, but never have due to the fact I'm afraid most people 'round here would open their door on me. If it were ever an emergency I wouldn't hesitate to do it though. Of course, if traffic is moving faster than 10-15mph I don't see a need to lane split. We do get a LOT of sitting still for 20 seconds at a time. I would also hate to cook my block by sitting still too long on a hot Texas day.

On another note, I saw this in related videos from the lane splitting video, thought it was kinda clever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21V9XfMwidc

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/20/15 at 11:06:02

Aside from all other issues, would you allow someone to go safely by you if it did not impact your travel in any way?

I think most would say yes, a few will say no.

for me, it's safer to be between lanes then in them.
I've made more forced lane changes then cut off while splitting.

WWW   IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #13 - 01/20/15 at 12:35:16

I lane split when:
- I'm stopping quickly and there's a vehicle behind me. I pull in between two vehicles ahead of me and stop. I call this "Borrowing bumpers" - if the vehicle behind me cant stop in time, the cars that I'm in between will protect me.

- If the vehicle in front of me has its four ways on.

- If someone is tailgating me.

- If I find myself ahead of a truck carrying liquids - concrete mixer, fuel tankers,  and fire trucks. From talking to truckers, they tell me these vehicles can't simply stop by pressing the brakes, they have to brake - unbrake - and then brake again to manage the momentum shift of the liquids they're carrying.

As far as the video goes - lane splitting or not, aggressive riding is dangerous, and life shortening.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 01/20/15 at 19:13:37

savskad wrote on 01/20/15 at 09:50:42:
Here in Austin we have traffic that is probably just as bad as, if not worse than L.A. I feel like lane splitting on a daily basis, but never have due to the fact I'm afraid most people 'round here would open their door on me. If it were ever an emergency I wouldn't hesitate to do it though. Of course, if traffic is moving faster than 10-15mph I don't see a need to lane split. We do get a LOT of sitting still for 20 seconds at a time. I would also hate to cook my block by sitting still too long on a hot Texas day.

On another note, I saw this in related videos from the lane splitting video, thought it was kinda clever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21V9XfMwidc

I did it when I lived in Austin, regularly
I had one jackass (in 22 years) open his door to try to cause me to wreck, but since I obey the guidelines as posted (never over 30MPH, never more than 10 MPH faster than surrounding traffic) I had time to stop. When he closed the door, I went past him quickly but without drama
it's not dangerous, done right, and most folks won't start a fight over it
it is however illegal in Texas, so there's that

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:15:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › legal suicide

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.