Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Fork & Shock Improvements for Café Conversions (Read 3204 times)
Gary in NJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Fork Improvements for RYCA Café Conversions
Reply #15 - 01/24/15 at 14:44:03

Here is a photo of the spacing of the Damping Rod compression holes. On the sides where there are two holes there should be a space of 20mm. As I mentioned, drill these out to 1/4" for the pair and 5/16" for the singles. There is no harm done if you just make them all 5/16". This damping rod is right on the line where you use all 1/4" holes or all 5/16". That's why I used two different sizes on mine. If I were to do it again, I'd just go 5/16" for all six holes.  What is important is that these OE holes be made larger so they don't restrict oil flow for compression damping. That is now handled by the Gold Valve Emulator.

Damping_Rod.JPG

A life long student of motorcycling
  IP Logged
Gary in NJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 01/24/15 at 14:47:46

Drilling tips: Go in steps (1/8" then 3/16" then final size) and make small cuts, backing off often to allow the bit to clear. Use cutting fluid (or Boelube) too. After the rod is drilled, you have to debur the outside and inside surfaces. The photo shows me using a speed deburring tool, but a larger drill bit for the outside and a rat-tail file for the inside can be used. Use brake cleaner and compressed air to get the small bits of metal out of the rod. You don't want metal floating in your forks, otherwise say goodbye to your fork seals and the screen in the Emulator.
« Last Edit: 01/24/15 at 17:08:31 by Gary in NJ »  

Debur.JPG

IP Logged
Gary in NJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 01/24/15 at 14:50:23

If you use the adjustable for caps you'll want to use the OE washer between the PVC spacer and the cap. The ID hole of the RT washers are too small and will come into contact with the clip at the bottom of the cap. The RT washer can be used between the top of the spring and the PVC spacer.

Use_Washer.JPG

IP Logged
Gary in NJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/24/15 at 14:57:20

Here is a photo of everything ready to go. Well almost. The photo shows two RT washers (see post above) and the OE spacer. I did use the OE spacer but only because I had 32mm OD washers from a prior project. The OE spacer will slide over the RT washer and spring (not if you use the FRSP S3243 spring). No problem, Race Tech provides a length of PVC that is used to make two spacers. I think my spacer length is around 120mm. Next time I have the forks apart I'll take a measurement. The measurement is only valid for those using the adjustable fork caps. If you are using the OE or fixed 38mm fork caps your spacer will be longer by about 10-15mm. If you use the FRSP 3234 springs your spacer will be longer by 35mm. What is important is that your baseline preload should be 15mm. You will make adjustments from there when you set the sag. That's why the adjustable caps are so nice, you don't need to open the forks and add washers or a longer spacer...just turn a wrench.
« Last Edit: 01/24/15 at 17:17:19 by Gary in NJ »  

Ready_to_Go.JPG

IP Logged
Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/11/15 at 22:57:40

Hey Gary so how did the conversion turn out? I'm wanting to start the process on this! Cheesy

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #20 - 02/12/15 at 05:39:01

Levi wrote on 02/11/15 at 22:57:40:
Hey Gary so how did the conversion turn out? I'm wanting to start the process on this! Cheesy

I don't know yet. Everything is together and ready to go, but I've got icy and salt/sand covered roads in NJ. Not the best or safest conditions for testing. I'm hoping that I can get it out on the road in 4 to 6 weeks.

All of my static measurements check out so I'm sure I'm down to just a few tweaks - if any.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 02/16/15 at 15:50:01

Somebody needs to turn up the sun to melt the roads so we can hear the results.

IP Logged
phatts27
YaBB Newbies

anyone on here play
forza 4?

clementon nj
Reply #22 - 02/17/15 at 05:47:08

**also in nj.   **also thinks the snow should melt

IP Logged
RB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/11/15 at 16:46:48

Hey Gary
Just stating the obvious, for all of anxious short travel fork owners, the weather in Jersey looks warm enough for a test ride......kidding (sorta).
Looking forward to hearing how this mod worked for you. Thanks for posting this one.
Cheers
RB

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #24 - 03/11/15 at 20:19:42

Did you guys see what Ryca just came out with? Smiley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sqEtQ8x9-A
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #25 - 03/12/15 at 05:57:16

I'm looking at the weather closely too. There is a lot of sand on the roads right now...and there is a stream running across my driveway (it's an actual stream that appears during heavy storm surges) due to the rapid snow melt.

Right now the bike is in pieces as I go through final assembly - torquing and applying Loctite to all fasteners - following initial assembly. I also have some SWEET custom parts inbound. There are some very talented people on these forums and I have taken advantage of their designs, ingenuity - and when possible - their labor. I just finished making some brackets out of 0.125" 2024 for the rear brake light switch and ignition key that I had prototyped in 0.032" 2024. So there is some work to be done this weekend.

I'm feeling good about completing the final assembly Saturday and then adding the two inbound parts when they arrive next week. I don't need the custom parts for a test ride.

We're supposed to get a good driving rain on Saturday. I'm hoping that clears most of the sand off the roads and completes the snow melt. My driveway is over 1/4 mile long, as soon as the stream clears I can at least get it going under power. I'll conduct my low-speed brake tests on the driveway and evaluate/measure the fork dive.

Regarding the RYCA upper triple clamp, I mentioned in my first post that it is available. I had sent a photo of my custom lower/upper to Ryan and he was like "sweet dude...I'll have one on the website in a week". If I had known I may have saved myself a lot of work. Even so, I'm very happy to have found my own solution at a cost just 1/10 of RYCA's upper. That, and my upper sits 13mm higher at the pinch bolt then the RYCA unit which makes the perceived protrusion of the fork raise seem smaller. My forks sit 25mm above my clamp; had I used RYCA's custom clamp they'd sit 38mm higher. To my eyes that would look very strange, resulting in using a 13mm spacer in the forks. So my upper allows full travel of the forks. In short...I like mine better  Wink

« Last Edit: 03/13/15 at 13:06:11 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
RB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/12/15 at 17:19:17

Good luck with the bike work and the weather.  
I've got my tank and bodywork at Connery's Custom Paints getting painted a Mercedes AMG matte grey. It'll be more than a few more weeks before I'm ready to ride.
But like most, I'm looking forward to getting back on the road, Feb was cold!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 03/13/15 at 09:15:37

Off topic replies have been moved to this thread.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary in NJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 03/15/15 at 15:14:07

Well today was the day when my bike migrated from the building stage to the riding stage. I updated my Builders Log on the short ride, but I wanted to provide initial feedback on the suspension.

With the bike on the ground and with my son’s help I was able to dial in the sag on the suspension. My forks are preloaded at 15mm, and 0mm at the caps. I’m using adjustable fork caps so adjustment is as simple as turning a wrench. The caps allow up to 20mm of additional preload.

The goal for properly set-up forks is 10-15mm of static sag (just the weight of the bike) and 35mm of total sag (me on the bike with gear on and the tank filled). My initial static sag was 19mm and my total sag was 38mm. I also measured the sag at the rear at 10mm static and 30mm total. This is with the preload adjustors set at 4 clicks. The method for measuring the rear allowed for some variability so I don't have high confidence in those figures, but they are in a proper range. I'll get better data in the coming days.

I dialed in an additional 5mm in the front and achieved 11mm static and 33mm total. I'm gonna leave everything where it is for now until I have a few hundred miles on the bike.

My ride was short (due to a fuel issue) and not very taxing on the suspension. However I can already tell that the suspension is dialed in nicely. A few slow speed brake tests show that I'm using a fair part of the stroke. Higher speed testing will reveal the exact amount, but under heavy braking it should be near 90% and under normal riding in the range of 50-60%.

If you've been waiting to pull the trigger...go ahead. It all works as expected and all signs indicate that this is a sweet riding bike. No RYCA owner has ever uttered those words before.

By the way, this was the first opportunity I had to sit on the bike while not on the building stand. It's a tiny little thing. And it’s not the torture rack I expected. I wouldn’t call it comfortable, but I’d say it’s an aggressive riding position for a sporting street bike. It’s stretched out well, and that takes a lot of weight off of the wrists. With some airflow on my chest I’d imagine that this might be an OK riding position.

IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #29 - 03/16/15 at 04:40:21

What is your weight Gary????   sounds very dialed in already.  Nice job!  .....when do you want me to send you my forks?     Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 13:37:26

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Fork & Shock Improvements for Café Conversions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.