justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: The Savage animal...
Reply #15 - 01/20/15 at 07:10:28

Moto Guzzi,,, ditch pump motor.
Man, they sound so good...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 01/20/15 at 07:11:16

pg wrote on 01/20/15 at 04:45:07:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/19/15 at 21:31:07:
Yes, that is the shell, but the round is most often used is an aluminum sabot wrapped around a depleted uranium dart.

Wow, I don't know what depleted uranium does; although, I suspect it hardens the projectile.

heavier than lead, harder than steel, sharper than a porcupine quill.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #17 - 01/20/15 at 07:16:49

WARTHOG  is good !  Cool

Not fast ; but gets by just fine . Wink
Simple and efficient design .  Wink
Reliable day in and day out .  Wink
and
Does what it was designed to do really good !  Cool

I used to have a compound bow named  "The WartHog"  , it was the same way , short and stout.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 01/20/15 at 18:50:13

pg wrote on 01/20/15 at 04:45:07:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/19/15 at 21:31:07:
Yes, that is the shell, but the round is most often used is an aluminum sabot wrapped around a depleted uranium dart.

Wow, I don't know what depleted uranium does; although, I suspect it hardens the projectile.

I thought the nickname for my other bike which is KLR dual sport is pretty good.  They refer to it as the "Tractor"; but, I think the "Warthog" is more descriptive and appropriate.

Best regards,

Hmm, let's see
Old tech...check
Not the fastest (top speed wise)...check
Tough and easy to work on....check
Inexpensive to buy and operate...check
Sounds like a match to me Smiley

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #19 - 01/21/15 at 04:07:50

Here's a good ANIMAL!

IMG_2743327859785.jpeg

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #20 - 01/21/15 at 19:11:07

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 01/22/15 at 11:11:03

SadStumbled upon this article, details on the gun and I didn't know they stopped making them in 84,,,
Every landing takes a toll, some more than others, I'd guess. I Really had a fondness for the
T 37 and got to see the A37 at the practice range and saw one land gear up on a foamed runway. Dude put it down beautifully. Cessna,I believe, designed intending to sell it as a business jet. It Looks inviting and easy to fly.
 A10, OTOH, looks like a flying weapons delivery system, which it is.
A37,all dressed up and ready to fight is obviously no Party Favor, but it's not like the A10,, a 30 mm canon with wings, to send the message,and bombs, for making the point clear, should there be any confusion.

plane is not as fast and lacks the graceful lines of other fighter jets. But the Warthog, as pilots call it due to the snout-like nose, is extremely low maintenance, flies low, can practically hover over a battlefield, land almost anywhere and packs a 20-foot-long, 2.5-ton, seven-barrel Gatling gun that can fire more than 1,100 rounds of 30-mm. bullets. And a titanium shell that wraps around the bottom of its cockpit makes it difficult to shoot down.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=t+37+cessna+dragonfly+pictures&id=851AEBE...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #22 - 01/22/15 at 11:16:22

So my current bike: Yamaha Classic 1100

would be .... Panda

Kinda roly-poly not so aggressive but nice and comfy

let me know when you find a bike - Honey Badger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb6bWsa_LdQ

IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #23 - 01/22/15 at 22:43:36

Hey guys, former weapons troop in the USAf here, i worked F-15s not A-10s but bad ass planes all the same. Your guestimate of 400 rounds per minute is... a bit low Smiley The GAU-8 cannon on the A-10 shoots either 2100 or 4200 rounds per minute... yep... only holds 1300 rounds though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33teK7L4DM4

There has been some stories that at a slow enough flight speed prolonged gun bursts can cause the plane to "fly" backwards. Also, one of the most survivable air frame in the arsenal. It can take a bunch of damage and keep flying.

Our bikes don't quite have the brraaaap that those guys do but i bet otherwise they are pretty tough( not going to lay one down on purpose to find out though.)

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #24 - 01/22/15 at 23:51:44

GridMonkey, how vulnerable to fighter type aircraft would this Warthog/A10 thing be? Could it defend itself, or is it reliant on other aircraft?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #25 - 01/23/15 at 11:51:42

In terms of air combat defense it has standard counter measures, chaff/flare to counter guided missiles, it can carry Air to Air missiles but its just not as fast or as maneuverable as most fighters at dog fighting combat speeds, though "top gun" combat rarely ever happens these days. It would need air support most times as it's job is ground support.

It can fly after losing half a wing and half its tail controls, a single engine, and total hydraulic system failure though.

Also looks like they changed the gun rate to a set 3900 rounds per minute since i got out. still... never something you want to be in front of.

In my opinion there is no other aircraft on the planet that does what this thing does. There is plenty of info on it, its mostly declassified, except for some newer computer/targeting upgrades and such that are getting placed in it.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #26 - 01/23/15 at 15:26:50

I suppose they would go in with cover on both sides and UNLOAD them big shells.  I bet it would truly be something to see and hear.  Are they retiring them because they have drones to do the a lot of the dirty work?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 01/23/15 at 18:17:33

They are 30 years old. Antique Technology. It's a purpose built,close support, tank killing,bunker busting MoSheen,, just how able to dogfight it is, IDK.  I Think, and by that I mean,based on what little I have read and heard, I Think that modern fighters are designed to fight at more long range. Now,you get that 30mm pointed across someone's bow and pull the trigger,, well, nothing is gonna handle that...
Anyway, apparently they are okay, they can be allowed outta the house without a Big Brother, I don't hear about how many are getting blown outta the sky..
For me, I like them, because they Aren't the prettiest, they are OLD Technology, YET they are still effective... in some respects, unsurpassed.
Like our Savage.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 01/23/15 at 20:15:34

any thing current can't keep in the same sky for more then a few seconds so getting some space to shoot aint hard... of course by the time you turn around its got that big gun pointing at you again... not sumtin I want to play chicken with.   Huh

and if you could carry a big enough gun all you need is a bike to keep up with it.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #29 - 01/24/15 at 23:09:24

Yep, and i mean, we can have that gau-8 feeling.... http://tailgunnerexhaust.com/?product_cat=4-universal

Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:28:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › The Savage animal...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.