Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Basic clutch adjustment question (Read 126 times)
JungleSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Basic clutch adjustment question
01/18/15 at 16:32:35

Hi there. New to the forum, so I'd totally appreciate any help. I put together a 2001 LS650 from 1/3 of a bike plus boxes of parts. The good news is I have it running. However, I've not yet tried to ride it because I can see the clutch is out of adjustment. There is no slack on the handlebar lever. Clymer says to turn the adjuster at the engine, but whenever I do this, the adjuster just turns back to its original position. The sleeve on the adjuster is integral to the cable cover, so I don't see how to turn the adjuster without turning the whole cable, which would necessitate taking tank off, which is not my first choice of options!  Undecided Thank you in advance for any help.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Basic clutch adjustment question
Reply #1 - 01/18/15 at 17:14:27

If you just need a little slack,.. the lever has a knurled adjuster (under a rubber boot, if it's still there)...
Adjust it so that you can fit a nickle between the lever and perch...

If you can't get enough slack from there,.. then screw it back in, and adjust some slack down at the engine...
Then rinse and repeat... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/19/15 at 03:49:01

The bottom end of the cable should have 2 nuts on top of the aluminum mount in the case.  You need to take 2 wrenches and loosen the nuts, then turn the nuts to make more slack in the cable.....if the cable wants to rotate then hold it with something so that it does not turn when adjusting the loosened nuts.  Then tighten the nuts back up.

NOTE:  The nuts both need to be above the mount....some folks have foolishly put one nut on each side of the mount and broken the mount off the engine case, and that is very bad and very hard and expensive to fix.

Cablenuts.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/19/15 at 06:15:46

And yes,we Have seen the clutch perch break,so,be attentive.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JungleSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/19/15 at 11:51:52

Thank you everyone for your help! I'll give this a go and let you know how I get on!

IP Logged
JungleSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/19/15 at 15:35:24

The good news is that the clutch is working as it should! Part of the problem was that the cable was routed incorrectly under that tank, causing it to be too tight. Re-routing of the cable and adjusting at the handlebar lever and via the adjustment nuts fixed things just right.

The bad news (there's always bad news, right?), is that the lever won't shift down at all. So I am starting another thread to again tap into the wisdom and generosity of this group.  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:20:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Basic clutch adjustment question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.