Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is this a good deal for a savage? (Read 267 times)
Sterns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Milford, CT
Is this a good deal for a savage?
01/18/15 at 12:02:29

1996 savage with under 12k on it for $1000. It's at a local harley dealer. I assume I will have to do the cam chain tensioner. Even with that in mind, it doesn't seem like a bad buy at all, but want your opinions.

http://www.mikesfamous.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?veh=4065890

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Is this a good deal for a savage?
Reply #1 - 01/18/15 at 12:12:30

looks like a good deal to me.
no dents, pegs not bent... doesn't look like it's been dropped.

WWW   IP Logged
ryanwilliam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/18/15 at 12:50:20

Keep in mind, you'll have to pay dealership fees.  Still, I think it is a very good asking price.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #3 - 01/18/15 at 15:30:15

Looks good.    Check the date on the rubber!
(5 year old rubber is crap, don't care WHAT the tread looks like.
5 + old rubber is  HARD)

I am just guessing, they took that in on trade, giving someone, 600.00 on ‘trade’,
Where it ‘could be’,  800.00 less, for a, ’cash’ price on the item someone traded for.

So, I would walk in with, 9, 100.00 bills, and say:
“Out the door”.  (Again depending on the rubber)
You know, your gonna have to do some, ’tweaking’ on it when you get it home.

Let them, play with the numbers, however they want.

If they don’t take it, walk out.
Then  AFTER they call YOU.
(If you want it)  go  to 1,000.00 OTD.

But NOT, that day !
Let them call YOU first !

Here, today, that could easily be bought for 8-9.
In 4 months from now, it will sell for 1,200 - 1,400.

Lot of factors. How long has it been there.
How hungry/Smart, is the dealer.
What is the riding, ‘window’, in your area.

Good Luck !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Sterns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Milford, CT
Reply #4 - 01/18/15 at 15:43:03

They wanted 1600, but they posted in on Craigslist for 995. As far as I know they've had it since early December. I'm in ct, so it's supposed to be a good time to buy, but after looking around I really haven't noticed any good deals. I would be fine with 995 if they don't charge me doc fees and if the rubber is old, I will see if I can get the tires at their cost. I don't care either about how much tread is on tires. What I care about is age. I have contacted many sellers before and asked about the tires and they always answered with " the tires are 6 years old but less than 1000 miles" and refuse to adjust price, so frustrating! Lol.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #5 - 01/18/15 at 16:10:00

Wow, 1,600.00   down to 1,000.00.

Sounds like a OTD Deal at 1,000.00 to me !

Rubber, buy from some place else.
(Or at least check prices from other places)
So you KNOW, if it is a fair deal or not.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/18/15 at 16:17:38

Walk. In with$800.00 in your wallet and$50.00 in a pocket and be willing to walk away. You can always go back. Try them again... bet that they are not losing any money at nine...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 01/18/15 at 20:23:29

Thats like my first one !   Tongue

Paid $1300.oo for it off ebay , 11years ago.   The muffler had no guts to cover up the rattling valve train , the original rear tire was worn-out at 8500 miles , but it pulled strong and I liked the way it looked.  
At about 14000 miles I put an extension on the cam chain adjuster with a weaker spring inside the adjuster , and put in a new chain.   Then about 42,000 had it apart again to put a 95mm piston in it and the cam chain was still alright.   If I had not filled it with diesel instead of gas  I might still be ridding it today.    
The second one is a S-40 (07) , gave $1500.oo for it two years ago with about 7000 miles.   I kept the back rest from the first one.

I'd try the $900.oo out the door thing befor the end of January   That dealer has a pay roll to make and right now is not selling very much right now , but his sales will pick up again in Feb. and he knows it too.  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 01/19/15 at 00:43:28

Yeah, if you get it you will more than likely have to do the cam chain tensioner, and probably the plug on top....and it also looks like it has the vacuum petc0ck on it too.
96'.... KBB says retail at (excellent condition) 1,300 ... trade in is 885... meet them in between if you can.... 950....
Let them know you will have to probably have to replace the cam chain and tensioner ect.....(don't tell them about the verslavy) because of high miles.... check the bolts at the front and back of the head.... see if there is any oil on the threads... if so, the plug will have to be redone.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Sterns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Milford, CT
Reply #9 - 01/19/15 at 13:42:59

I talked to a salesman there and they said that it was 995, but raised it to 1695 because they did work on it.  I asked him to check with the service dpt and get back to me.  I explained that these bikes have a faulty mechanical design and if the work has been done, then I don't mind paying more.  He called me back and said that the service manager couldn't tell him what was done and all it says in the computer is service inspection.  He then said, "that's why we raised the price to 1675.  A service check cost $700? Grin

I told him about the cam chain tensioner and he said he will research it and get back to me..............

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 01/19/15 at 19:08:28

When he does get back to you.... tell him your max is $1,100, because unless they tear the halves off the bike, and take the top of the engine they won't know.
And let him know that if he will let it go for the above amount you have cash.
Oh, tell him you researched the price, and even a 96' in excellent condition (no scratches, no rust, no dents, no wear) is only worth $1385, take a copy of KBB with you....then start pointing out all the stuff wrong with it.....

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/suzuki/ls650p-savage/1996-suzuki-ls650p-savage...

If that don't work... walk away... ain't no high mile 96' worth $1675... I got mine with barely over 2k on it 2003 for $1,500.

Then check back with him in a month... if you can wait that long..

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 01/19/15 at 19:14:37

What area are you in?  The sign on the building is New London CT, is that Connecticut ?
I did a search for new haven area on craigs list... a newer one with only 5k on it... and the guy tells you the mods....including the cam chain tensioner

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/4812190538.html

IP Logged
Sterns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Milford, CT
Reply #12 - 01/19/15 at 20:25:07

Yea, new London is in Connecticut. My town is near new haven. Thanks for the link.

On another note, what do you guys think of the buell blast?  I want to get a savage, but I have pondered about the blast because they are dirt cheap. Although, I have heard that they aren't reliable and it's hard to get parts.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 01/20/15 at 03:42:45

Sterns wrote on 01/19/15 at 20:25:07:
Yea, new London is in Connecticut. My town is near new haven. Thanks for the link.

On another note, what do you guys think of the buell blast?  I want to get a savage, but I have pondered about the blast because they are dirt cheap. Although, I have heard that they aren't reliable and it's hard to get parts.

I have never owned a Buell Blast - but I did look into them a bit as I thought they were interesting.  They are a bit primitive and quirky.  They are not quick, they are clumsy shifting bikes, and they are a bit hard to get parts for.....and someone to work on them.  Low seat height, light, nimble - good for riding around town or the back roads, not good for interstate riding.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 01/20/15 at 06:48:06

IDK which is a better bike, but if you can find a better bunch of people who will help you with whatever you get,let me know.. I wanna come see.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:23:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is this a good deal for a savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.