Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fitting The S40 Seat To The Rider (Read 175 times)
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Fitting The S40 Seat To The Rider
01/14/15 at 20:19:41

I have done the seat mod which elevated the front of the seat about an inch on my 2013 S40 with the standard 1 piece seat. I have also switched the factory handlebars to 2" risers.

I feel kind of cramped when I ride.

Is it possible to move the seat towards the rear of the bike an inch or two? I am about 6' tall with an inseam of about 29 or 30 inches and I do not want to add forward controls.

I would like to avoid having the seat reupholstered at this time.  If any one has moved the seat pics would be appreciated.

Kenny G

IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Re: Fitting The S40 Seat To The Rider
Reply #1 - 01/14/15 at 21:04:19

Put the stock risers back on and turn them around.  I'm 6-3 and with a seat lift and the stock risers turned around it's comfortable to me.  Looks a lot better too.

2006 S40/Black/Biltwell Keystones/Reversed Drag Risers/Gaiters/Raptor/Dyna/Belt guard Delete/Engine Guard Delete/Bates Tail Light/Side Mount Vertical License
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #2 - 01/14/15 at 22:44:48

TC,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I tried turning the tall factory risers around and didn't care for that riding position. The handlebars are about where I want them now.

I know that cutting off some of the passenger bump on the seat would help with the position, but I have always had lousy results with getting seats reupholstered.      I have an attic full of modified seats for proof.

I have a Corbin seat on my Blast that Corbin customized for me. I don't think they will want to get to far away from the design they have for the S40.

I guess I will remove the seat this weekend and see if it is possible to move the seat back.

Kenny

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/14/15 at 23:15:41

Seat to rider, rider to seat... Undecided...
I've seen guys lower the seat, stretch and raise their legs higher than their butts, and lower the bars to below their ankles or over their heads...
... for comfort... Grin...

If you want cool,... go with whatever your definition of cool is...
That ranges from the "monkey on a coconut" to the barkalounger, "birthing position"...
If you seek practical comfort... look at a 60's Triumph,  BMW, or a Gold Wing...
Head, arms, hands, butt, feet...
That's how human furniture is made...
We aren't giving birth, or humping a fuel tank... for comfort...
Imitate,... and dining chair...

That's not the most comfortable chair in your house,... but your house isn't going 60mph...
That normal, alert, erect, position will get you the most miles in comfort... each part of your body is directing it's weight to the next without undue pressure...

If your average speed is 120mph plus, the more forward position balances better... if you ride at 7mph, you might prefer a recliner...

Imitating a dining table seating seems to suit sensible riding...

... and, due to you freakish tallness  Grin... reversing the standard risers, or if you have the stock pullback bars, they are short for a midget...

Monkey bars will put the weight of arms onto your back... clip-ons put the weight  of your back onto your wrists...
Forwards put the weight of legs onto your butt... rearsets put the weight of your legs onto your nuts...
...all has it's reason,. but none of that is about comfort...

Get you body into the position you took math tests in...
Math...
I hate math... but it did teach me one thing...
How to sit for long time... Grin...

Try bumping that seat 2"... (it really scoots yer' rear back), and, raising the rear shock makes our bike more standard...
I'm only 5' 8",... but my seat is raised 2"... and I have 12.5" shocks...
This bike is very short...

I understand... if your elbows are in your ribs, you need to get your arms further forward... but not radically up or down..
...and, if your knees are in your armpits, you need to get them away...
... but not sticking out forward or rearward...
Try to get each segment of your body transferring it's weight to the next...
That's how nature made us...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 01/14/15 at 23:40:14

Or, you could try the RYCA superbike bars. Does it for me.  I'm 5'10" Wink and yes, the stock seat is VERY low.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #5 - 01/15/15 at 06:53:14

Serowbot,

At my age cool is not in my riding vocabulary. Comfort and handling are the only considerations, and I want the final adjustments  to look decent.

Your mentioning of 60's British bikes is a good part of my problem, as I rode the same 1973 Norton for 30 years. The foot pegs, seating position, and European handlebars fit me perfectly. No way can I afford to move the pegs back to the standard riding position. So I am thinking that any further adjustments will have to be seat height and position.

What did you use for spacers to get the 2" rise at the front of the seat?

Chimp,

I am satisfied with the handle bars position and height for the moment.

I have SuperBars on my Buell Blast and I do really like them, but there is not enough difference in the position of my hands between the SuperBars and what I now have to make it a worthwhile change.

I just cannot get my butt back quite far enough because of the passenger hump on the seat. As I mentioned earlier I don't want to waste the money to have the seat reupholstered at this time. I was hoping to find someone that moved the seat towards the rear an inch or two. I am really challenged with geometry so I will have to take the seat off and look and see if there is any chance of moving it.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #6 - 01/15/15 at 06:58:23

Just finishing a seat change...bigger single Yamaha VSTAR 650 seat...bigger, cushy, pics soon.  Pretty easy install and definitely worth it if you like the old cruiser look.     6'1-30"inseam-250#-OLD...this is a comfort toy... Smiley Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: 01/16/15 at 21:26:50 by Srotag »  

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 01/15/15 at 09:01:09

Kenny G wrote on 01/15/15 at 06:53:14:
Serowbot,
...Your mentioning of 60's British bikes is a good part of my problem, as I rode the same 1973 Norton for 30 years. The foot pegs, seating position, and European handlebars fit me perfectly. No way can I afford to move the pegs back to the standard riding position. So I am thinking that any further adjustments will have to be seat height and position.

What did you use for spacers to get the 2" rise at the front of the seat?

Kenny G

My seat lifted in a slightly odd way, because I also lifted the tank 1"...to get a more standard look...
I used 4 shock absorber mount spacers that are about 1" tall each...
Here's a close-up view...

Here's the overall effect from a distance...(the 12'5" shocks require a hockey puck bolted to the sidestand)...Seat height is about 29 or 30" now with the shocks and seat lift...

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #8 - 01/15/15 at 09:32:25

Serowbot,

I like the chrome tank with the knee pads, it reminds me of my BSA Gold Stars. What year is your bike? What seat do you have?

I wouldn't mind a solo seat if it had enough room for me to move around a little.

What did the shock absorber spacers come from?

Kenny G

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 01/15/15 at 16:43:06

Serowbot:

I always liked your chrome.  Just curious, what did it involve to get the finished product?  Thanks.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 01/15/15 at 18:03:50

97'...
Stock seat... slightly reshaped and recovered... carbon fiber look vinyl...
Spacers were spares from a Progressive kit, I think... (they were just laying around in a bin)...
Stock tank,... chromed, added rubber stripe and knee pads made from running floor mat material from Ace Hardware $3 a running ft...glued on with contact cement...
Shocks are from an 800 Intruder...

IP Logged
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Reply #11 - 01/15/15 at 18:36:35

What is the chrome canister in the pic of your bike... a  Roll Eyescup holder?

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #12 - 01/15/15 at 20:19:25

Serowbot,

If I were to get a seat from an older Savage would it fit on my 2013 S40?

I would just use the rider's part of the seat and ditch the pillion.

I think I can figure out a way to cover the rear fender.

Your thoughts?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 01/15/15 at 21:43:31

The older seat should fit... same 2 bolts on each side...  with the 2" lift, you can relocate the rectifier from under the pillion, to under the nose of the seat...  maybe hide the rear fender mess with a fender bib...
- reshaping the seat involved reducing the hump at the rear of the padding... to allow me a little bit more rear schooch room... probably only gained 1/2" or so... it was noticable, but not drastic.... the uptilt from the lift also shifts you a tiny bit rearward...  there isn't a lot of foam to remove there without ending up sitting on hard plastic, so don't get carried away...
If you really want to back up a few inches... I would look into re-fabricating the mounts,.. longer front tongue plate and forward set the 2 side bolt brackets...

I'd like to say the "canister" is a nitro tank,... but it's a thermos... cold drinking water in the desert is a good thing.... Grin...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:23:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fitting The S40 Seat To The Rider

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.