Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
help! weird noise  engine (Read 210 times)
Datpoolboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport Louisiana
help! weird noise  engine
01/14/15 at 18:16:08

I bought it this bike dirt cheap and put in a modded tensioner and went with the rotella oil but here is where it stands, the bike starts fine but has a weird knock/rattle from what sounds yo me like sort of the left side\top end that is only there once it runs for a minute and  it worries me something terrible. Once it starts on full "choke" and after a min I can move it to the half choke but if I try to ride there it will die and pop fire from exhaust but if I turn choke all the way off it pops fire after any kind of throttle at all and acts like the idle it too low. I realize this is kind of dragged out but just looking for any kind of insight! Btw the bike has 30,000 miles on her and the previous owner installed the raptor petcock and god knows what they did with the carb situation. The noise starts at about :50 seconds. Any input is much appreciated. http://youtu.be/nnYT5foEsnA

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: help! weird noise  engine
Reply #1 - 01/14/15 at 19:59:25

Take the front valve cover off and look down on the right side (from your point of view, not the bikes).
There's a little cam that may be hitting the rocker.  If it is, adjust your decomp looser.

Also may be an indication that your cam has been starved for oil and is worn.

WWW   IP Logged
Datpoolboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport Louisiana
Re: help! weird noise engine
Reply #2 - 01/15/15 at 07:00:51

Alright, I will look into that. Worst case if it was starved for oil any clue as to how much a complete rebuild might run?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/15/15 at 08:42:59

Could be oil starvation damage to the rockers or cam,...

... but,... it's possible that it is bad jetting, causing detonation... or spark knock...
I'm suspicious of this because of all the popping and dying...and the fact that it takes 50 seconds to start making noise...

In olden times,... as cars were climbing mountains the engine would lug and get hot, and the air would get thin, and cars would begin to knock... The solution was to flip the air cleaner lid to allow more air and lean the mix...
I would clean the carb and jets and check what size jets are in there...

I always check the cheap easy fixes first... (with fingers crossed)... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Datpoolboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport Louisiana
Reply #4 - 01/15/15 at 11:57:54

I hate not knowing what the previous owner has already done but I will start with the simple things you guys have pointed out and I'll post updates. Serowbot, your idea with the carbs could have some truth, I actually bought the bike coming through little rock Arkansas and I live in shreveport louisiana so there is some elevation changes there and if I read correctly in some of the posts on this forum your elevation plays part in proper jetting.

IP Logged
Datpoolboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport Louisiana
Reply #5 - 01/15/15 at 14:05:53

Verslagen, after pulling the cover the little cam doesn't seem to be making contact with the rocker. I see no signs of impact on the rocker anyways and the gap between them seems to be about a 1/16 or so. Should I cross this concern off the list as possible  origins off the sound? I am pulling the carb now to see what I can find out from serowbots suggestions.

2015-01-15_16_02_59.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/15/15 at 14:30:17

Did you rotate the engine to max rocker height?

If so, check that one off.

WWW   IP Logged
Datpoolboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport Louisiana
Reply #7 - 01/15/15 at 18:07:13

Vers, I pulled it back off and made sure I was at max height and all seems good there. Serowbot I pulled the carb and cleaned it and put it back together. While I had it apart I noticed that the main jet is still a 145 and I know for sure the bike has aftermarket exhaust so I assume the carb should have been rejected with the new pipe. Does sound like it would be a factor in your theory?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/15/15 at 20:47:23

Now,now,don't go rejecting the poor innocent carb...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 01/15/15 at 21:57:03

Since the knock occurs at idle,... too small a main jet shouldn't be the cause... (a loose one might)...
... a sticking slide might,...

The bike has a Raptor.... did the previous owner remember to block off the vacuum tap on the right side of the carb?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Datpoolboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport Louisiana
Reply #10 - 01/16/15 at 05:09:30

Everything in the carb was TIGHT including the jets..... and yes the vacuum tap has a rubber cap on it. I did find on the cam chain side of the engine on the top under the chrome cover the bolt that goes where the red line is in my picture was loose and leaking oil. When I tried to tighten it i found that the previous owner had stripped the threads so I removed the washer and placed a small amount of high temp silicone and tightened it down so the threads below the stripped part could bite deeper without the washer and it did tighten but i didnt go crazy. Back to the carb, from what you said I assume my carb jetting is not causing the noise, should I still rejet the carb since the bike doesnt have stock exhaust? Unfortunately its starting to sound more and more like oil starvation damage to the engine internals.   :'(

head_bolt.png
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #11 - 01/16/15 at 05:13:04

My '98 has 14,000 on it.Replacing the piston and rings and a bore job.Piston slap.

You might check your camchain guides too.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 01/16/15 at 05:33:18

That long bolt that was leaking oil.....is the galley where the oil comes up from the bottom end to the head.  You might try using threaded rod in this location that can go all the way to the bottom of the hole, then trim the length of the threaded rod to allow you to put the sealing washer and a nut on top....the nut should be an acorn nut so it is sealed when installed....or put sealer on the threads if you use a standard nut.

Take that front cover off the front of the head again - and see if you can get a look at the camshaft lobes.  Look for wear, scratches or rough surfaces on the camshaft.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Datpoolboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport Louisiana
Reply #13 - 01/16/15 at 08:47:10

I was curious about how much thread was below the stripped part and all thread crossed my mind i will take the bolt to the hardware and find out the size and see if i can get some all thread so i can be sure it seals off.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 01/16/15 at 08:51:45

Datpoolboy wrote on 01/16/15 at 08:47:10:
I was curious about how much thread was below the stripped part and all thread crossed my mind i will take the bolt to the hardware and find out the size and see if i can get some all thread so i can be sure it seals off.

The sad thing about this is that because it is an oil galley - you cannot hope to clean the hole out and JB Weld the stud in place, and even installing a heli-coil or Timesert is impossible as you don't want the chips going to the oil passages in the head.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:19:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › help! weird noise  engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.