Send Topic Print
HELP! (Read 84 times)
jasonmrye
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

HELP!
01/14/15 at 08:44:31

I have a 2000 Savage all stock and 9,000 miles. I bought it not running and have taken it to the local Community College auto mechanic program to have it looked into. I'm just not good inside an engine. So they can get it to run with the throttle wide open, but it's blowing significant amounts of oil out the exhaust opening (pipe not attached yet). They are saying rings or head gasket. The head has been off and re-installed during their going over of it. It ran before I got it, the last owner rode it to work every day. The timing chain tensioner came off (surprise!) and that stopped him. I talked to Verslagen and got that taken care of and turned it over to the college. This is starting to get more expensive than I can afford to do. Help me move in the most likely direction thereby saving me from spending unnecessary time and money. Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: HELP!
Reply #1 - 01/14/15 at 09:03:30

Having the header off changes the carb settings significantly.
So no wonder if they have to run it wide open.

Was the plunger disengaged when you found it?
They had the head cover off... did they check cam timing?

Oil blowing out will not be a head gasket issue, there is no significant oil pressure at the head gasket.
Could be rings, but at that low mileage and potential issues with running the choke too long or flooding causing gas washed cylinder to be damaged.  

Suggest you put it back together, clean the carb and run it as is.  If it continues to burn oil for more than a tank or 2 of gas, then it needs rings.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/14/15 at 09:04:19

Well.....you should have come for help before you turned it over to the community college boys.  There most likely was no reason to take off the head (or was it the head cover they removed?).

Have you checked the oil level in the window on the bottom rear right side of the engine?  Is the oil level high?  Does the oil smell like gasoline?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jasonmrye
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/14/15 at 09:25:20

The head cover was off when I got it, that was part of how the previous owner found his timing chain tensioner problem. Yes, they have timed the cam. the whole head has been off because we found that the valves were not sealing (probably beat up when the tensioner came loose) and the local automotive machine shop did a valve job on it. Yes, the plunger was completely disengaged. Using your advice Mr. Verslagen, I had our welding students weld a tab on the end of my plunger and then had my machine shop students mill it to size and drill and ream a hole where you suggested as well as mill a slot and press the pin into it to capture the plunger in the future.
One other addendum - The head gasket was new and installed then uninstalled (found "extra" parts), re-installed, uninstalled (valve job), and re-installed. Same gasket - I just found this part out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/14/15 at 09:31:51

Hello?????  Hello????  Is this thing ON????

Have you checked the oil level in the sight window?  Does the oil smell like gasoline?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

IP Logged
jasonmrye
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/14/15 at 09:50:36

Sorry Dave, I've texted the automotive instructor and he hasn't gotten back with me yet. I want to believe that they would have thought of that. If not, that's what we call a "teaching moment". I'll be dissapointed if that wasn't addressed by the instructor before he contacted me.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/14/15 at 10:01:02

jasonmrye wrote on 01/14/15 at 09:50:36:
Sorry Dave, I've texted the automotive instructor and he hasn't gotten back with me yet. I want to believe that they would have thought of that. If not, that's what we call a "teaching moment". I'll be dissapointed if that wasn't addressed by the instructor before he contacted me.

If the vacuum petcock fails, it can fill the crankcase with fuel, and run so much fuel into the vacuum line and causing the engine to run too rich.....and maybe only at full throttle can you get it to run.  Often the owner does not know the fuel has run into the crankcase.....as that is not a normal thing to expect on most motorcycles or cars.  When this happens it can result in oily fuel blowing out the breather tube and/or exhaust.

IP Logged
jasonmrye
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/14/15 at 10:56:41

He has checked the oil level and it is good. As he has inspected it more closely he says that he doesn't believe that the oil is coming from the exhaust, but from somewhere else and being blown around by the exhaust as it goes in front of the opening. He's looking some more. His last question to me was,"Does the cam not get pressurized oil to it?". I have been forwarding y'alls responses to my post and he was(I think) responding to the "no significant oil pressure at the head gasket" from Verslagen1.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/14/15 at 11:05:41

The head does get oil from a port at the right rear side of the cylinder.

The oil goes up along the right rear cylinder stud, up into the head, and then to the cam journals.  The Savage engine does not send an abundance of oil up there....and it had never squirted out of a head gasket.

It sounds like your folks may not have put the rubber head plug in the right front corner of the head....just above the cylinder stud.

Here is the drawing that show the path of the oil...you have to look closely to see the dark black lines with arrows.  The pink highlighted area comes from a discussion about adding an oil cooler....that is not relevant to this question (ignore the pink).  

Oil_Path.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/14/15 at 11:14:30

IP Logged
jasonmrye
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/14/15 at 11:29:30

Thanks Dave! I think we're on the right track here!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:34:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.