Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Welding and Transmission Question (Read 124 times)
RobSutt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tustin, CA
Welding and Transmission Question
01/13/15 at 18:22:32

The previous owner didn't do me any favors by welding the front sprocket to the engine.  See pic below.

So two questions...
1) Is it possible to remove the sprocket and welds so the shaft is clean and usable again?  Just don't know anything about welding.
2) If not how involved is replacing this drive shaft?  From what I looked up in the parts schematic it seems it would almost equal a tranny rebuild in terms of the labor to get to it.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: Welding and Transmission Question
Reply #1 - 01/13/15 at 19:57:10

Who ever welded that wants shooting. Angry If you carefully use a cutting wheel on a angle grinder to remove the sprocket and very carefully remove as much weld as possible without damaging the thread. You may be able to use a die from a tap and die set to re-cut the thread.

IP Logged
RobSutt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tustin, CA
Reply #2 - 01/13/15 at 20:41:23

paulmarshall wrote on 01/13/15 at 19:57:10:
Who ever welded that wants shooting. Angry If you carefully use a cutting wheel on a angle grinder to remove the sprocket and very carefully remove as much weld as possible without damaging the thread. You may be able to use a die from a tap and die set to re-cut the thread.

Seriously right? Grrr ppl sometimes.

Perhaps the shaft is hardened steel while the weld may be softer. Not sure. I was thinking the same as you suggest as I can grind and tap. Even soften the steel with a torch. Just not a welder, hence the question. Thanks for the suggestion.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #3 - 01/13/15 at 21:46:02

It can be repaired, you just have to go slow and pay attention to detail so that the shaft and threads can be saved.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/14/15 at 03:34:47

You have to wonder why the sprocket was welded on.....was the shaft already damaged and the splines chewed up?

Careful grinding work may only reveal that the shaft was "toast", and the shaft could have been damaged before the welding occurred.

And yes.......replacing the shaft gets you deep into the bowels of the engine including splitting the cases.  You need a puller for the rotor, and a nice big deep socket to remove the flywheel nut.

Also.....the pressure on the spacer and sprocket is what seals the connection so oil does not come out the shaft.  It appears the weld does not hold the sprocket on tight enough to make a seal....as it looks like it is covered in oil.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #5 - 01/14/15 at 03:48:33

Not only should the welder be knee-capped for welding a sprocket in place, he also did a piss-poor weld to boot!

No, I'm no a welder, but my father is, and I've seen enough good welds to know what they look like... that one is NOT a good weld. The sprocket stays on more by virtue of the boogered up threads than the weld itself.

You might be able to remove the weld and keep the threads intact, but if it was my bike, I'd cut the sprocket off and replace the shaft.

Let us know what you wind up doing.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 01/14/15 at 05:26:23

I'm betting the splines were already shot on the shaft.Probably cheaper to get another bottom end.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/14/15 at 09:25:14

Your current engine has low compression, a welded output shaft...who knows what else is wrong.

Maybe you need to make a road trip.....between the two engines you will have enough good parts to make a working engine - and a lot of left over parts to sell and get some money back.
http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/4840298554.html

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/14/15 at 10:07:31

looks to me like another F up.

Quote:
Selling my 1998 Suzuki savage . You can either use it for parts or try and fix it yourself . It doesn't start due to the top end getting no compression . Selling as is besides that there is nothing wrong with it . Have pink slip in hand and tags good Until October great first bike . 33xxx miles on it great commuter rode it daily to work and took it on rides with friends . Asking 800 Obo txt or call

WWW   IP Logged
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Reply #9 - 01/14/15 at 12:38:11

I am a certified stick, wire and TIG welder, and yes, those are pretty crappy welds, but that actually probably works in your favor. Not sure what he used to weld it, but its a safe bet it is nowhere near as hard as the parts he welded. If it was me, I would take a small angle grinder with a cutoff wheel on it and *carefully* and slowly go in with the blade parallel to the shaft and try to take off some weld, all the way around trying not to hit the threads, take a tap and die and go in as far as you can, rinse and repeat until you are up next to the sprocket. At that point you could probably take a hammer and lightly tap it all the way around, and I would bet it would pop right off. Cool

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 01/14/15 at 17:16:23

Dave wrote on 01/14/15 at 09:25:14:
Your current engine has low compression, a welded output shaft...who knows what else is wrong.

Maybe you need to make a road trip.....between the two engines you will have enough good parts to make a working engine - and a lot of left over parts to sell and get some money back.
http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/4840298554.html

Makes me sick seeing the cheap cheap bikes you guys can buy for almost nothing over there.  :'(
What's the bet that CL one stopped working at 33xxx because the chain tensioner jumper out?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 01/14/15 at 20:01:34

gizzo wrote on 01/14/15 at 17:16:23:
Makes me sick seeing the cheap cheap bikes you guys can buy for almost nothing over there.  :'(
What's the bet that CL one stopped working at 33xxx because the chain tensioner jumper out?

That's what I'm thinking.

Of course... otherwise it runs fine.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:24:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Welding and Transmission Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.