Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Old hard drive questions (Read 131 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Old hard drive questions
Reply #15 - 01/15/15 at 21:17:24

ntfs is the newer better file system
and
fat32 old window crap.

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #16 - 01/25/15 at 19:25:10

Ok, I "borrowed" a WinXP computer from work. Shhhhh...don't tell anyone! Turns out with XP it worked just fine -- just like I thought.

Tried it again at home and now it works just great. Turns out you have to plug the connector in the right way. It only fits one way and apparently I got it to fit the wrong way. Ummm, bad day maybe? Maybe I'm just an idiot? I think some days that Murphy was an optimist. Oh well, at least it works now.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #17 - 01/25/15 at 22:02:56

#1 pin (usually the one with the red line) goes to the left side, I believe...
LOL, now i'm going to have to open up one of the ones in the garage....

Good deal...glad ya figured it out!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #18 - 01/26/15 at 03:25:19

Many of the USB kits don't have the key on the connector.

Glad to hear you got it figured out and working.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #19 - 01/27/15 at 07:27:58

Kris.. maybe some insight might help:

When you say that Vista ( or win7) cant read the drive.. specifically what do you mean?

Here's a story of mine:
I have a computer with one hard disk drive ( HDD) as the "root" or "C:" or "BOOT"  drive.  I bought another PC and was just going to copy the contents of the old drive to the new PC HDD. But I could not. The reason? the OS recognized the that the OLD drive was a BOOT drive and refused to give me access to "protected" data of that drive.  However if, replaced the drives so the the OLD drive was now the BOOT drive on the PC I could then see it and access it just fine ( had to log in locally).

So the fix for me was to clear out a spare drive ( or use a big flash drive or two). Then install the old BOOT drive as the main/only drive and copy what I need from it to the spare or flash drive. Then reinstall the REAL boot drive and copy from the spare/flash drive to that.

NOTE: secondary drive ( non-BOOT) drives do NOT have this issue. Knowing this... I generally always have at least one secondary drive on any PC I have OR I copy stuff off the BOOT drive to a spare drive that i then would want to move somewhere else.

I hope this helps.

PS: I mentioned this somewhere else. But currently my PC has 3 internal HDD and a 4-bay hotswap HDD kit with another 3 HDD that I swap in and out as I need it. I have had all 6 drives going at once.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #20 - 01/27/15 at 19:17:52

Wow! You must need a lot of space.

It wouldn't recognize it as in the plug was backwards and couldn't be read. Completely my fault.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Reply #21 - 01/30/15 at 10:33:40

NTFS stands for 'New Technology File System', which was a completely new file system ushered in with Windows NT and Windows 2000, huge improvement over FAT16/FAT32/DOS.
IMHO Microshaft really dropped the ball with that piece of bloatware known as Vista. I only ever had it on one computer, and the problems it caused me reminded me of the old 'Plug n Pray' days of Windows95!

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:29:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Old hard drive questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.