Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
street tracker, street fighter? my Savage build (Read 2386 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: street tracker, street fighter? my Savage buil
Reply #75 - 05/09/15 at 13:38:31

Parking on grass might not work out well.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #76 - 05/09/15 at 22:14:15

Now we need a vid of you riding it  Smiley

IP Logged
Martin71RS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Voorhout, The Netherlands
Reply #77 - 05/10/15 at 00:14:44

soon I hope! Smiley working on a new mount for the headlight now...it was very close to the forks wich looked great but the light beam was aiming way to low.... that will be a bit of a compromise between looks and function unfortunately  Undecided

I am thinking about not painting it yet but to first put some miles on it to see if everything works as it should. Also noticed yesterday the petcock is leaking slightly....so I need a rebuild kit for that.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #78 - 05/10/15 at 01:24:13

RAPTOR petcock.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Martin71RS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #79 - 05/10/15 at 02:54:10

The original works fine so I want to keep that....but after 40 years a rebuild isn't a problem right? I personally like the vacuum operated feature.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #80 - 05/10/15 at 03:40:19

Martin71RS wrote on 05/10/15 at 02:54:10:
The original works fine so I want to keep that....but after 40 years a rebuild isn't a problem right? I personally like the vacuum operated feature.

Where do you live?  If you don't have ethanol in your fuel the stock petcock may work just fine for a long time.

(Please go to your Control Panel and update your personal information to show where you live).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Martin71RS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #81 - 05/13/15 at 13:21:53

Looks like a seal in the petcock wasn't seated properly...I'll see if it holds up.

Just made my first test ride.... about 10 -12 miles and it's fun!!  Smiley

Very light and quick, handles great. Max speed I did was around 70mph for a very short time.  It's nothing like an original Savage.....pretty loud but not too.  Roll Eyes  Thanks to the upgraded brakes, changed geometry and different seating position there's so much ground clearance and the bike is very short. It's a 86 so 4 speed, probably not too nice on the highway but perfect on country roads/around town.

I will see if I can make a video.... get the gopro for on-bike footage and have someone film me doing some pass-by's. Will probably take some time before that's done.

The bike still needs to be painted, it needs a mirror and indicator lights on the front. Also a lot of screws and bolts need to be replaced since I used what I had so it's a bit of a mix and match.

For now testing and having some fiun with it is priority.
Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Martin71RS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #82 - 05/15/15 at 06:26:08

well....my very expensive Gopro Hero decided to die on me.... I have it for a few years already but it probably has run 5 hours at most.
Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry  

It doesn't start up anymore..... it is not the battery since it charged so must be the electronics.....300 euros (or $) down the drain.

I tried my son's $20 "Gopro" but the image was very shaky.... I mounted it to the mirror (which I just installed) but it is clear the motor's vibration is too much for it...otherwise it doesn't perform bad...

I modified the mount so it fits my Gopro mount now so maybe tomorrow I will give it another try and mount it on the tank (which is in rubbers) and on my helmet.

pff I hate it when these expensive things break :'(

Oh..almost forgot to mention... I did some more bending on the side stand and it sits perfect now at a bit of an angle. I did have to grind a piece off the end to make it a bit smaller since it interfered with my foot....made shifting a bit hard. Roll Eyes

The motor definately needs a tune up.... set the valve clearance, oil filter and oil and a new plug...maybe even take the carb apart and clean it. It has a bit of a stumble when I accellerate hard.

here is the (bit crappy) video

« Last Edit: 05/15/15 at 08:06:46 by Martin71RS »  
WWW   IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply #83 - 05/16/15 at 00:00:27

As an aside, if you have a GoPro Hero2 they are known to have firmware issues.  I have one that has pretty much not worked for a year now.  I think I read somewhere that you can send it to GoPro and they will fix it for free but I've been trying to find that for ages.

2006 S40/Black/Biltwell Keystones/Reversed Drag Risers/Gaiters/Raptor/Dyna/Belt guard Delete/Engine Guard Delete/Bates Tail Light/Side Mount Vertical License
  IP Logged
Martin71RS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #84 - 06/03/15 at 12:23:52

another vid....shaky since I mounted the camera on the tank but gives a nice impression  Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #85 - 06/03/15 at 12:32:45

Nice exhaust note on that.  And beautiful scenery to ride in.

I see in the reflection on your speedometer that you wear a full face helmet.  How about a helmet mount for the GoPro?  Those give nice, stable video.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Robawf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #86 - 03/04/16 at 15:20:42

Did the GT550 tank fit without much difficulty? What year GT550 is it from?  I like the way it looks and fits the bikes lines. Great job on your build.

IP Logged
Martin71RS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #87 - 03/04/16 at 22:57:32

thanks  Cool  The tank is from an early 70's GT550.The way I mounted it it clears all the stock components (like the decompression solenoid) only had to relocate the horn.

In this thread you can see pics of how I mounted it

Just waiting on better weather to take it out again  Undecided
Martin

WWW   IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #88 - 03/05/16 at 03:00:13

This is really a masterpiece!
Nice job!  Wink

IP Logged
Brassneck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Humboldt
Reply #89 - 08/04/16 at 11:12:31

There's a lot of great savages on this site, but I've got to say, this is just exceptionally cool.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 11:38:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › street tracker, street fighter? my Savage build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.