Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
street tracker, street fighter? my Savage build (Read 2386 times)
Martin71RS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Voorhout, The Netherlands
street tracker, street fighter? my Savage build
01/12/15 at 15:47:11

Hi everyone, I found this forum when I was looking for info so I thought I would join, let me first start by introducing myself:

My name is Martin, born in '69 and I live in the Netherlands.

EDIT December 2017:

since photobucket F*cked up the hosting ...I decided to recreate my build thread on my own website:

www.pro-touring.nl
click the Street Tracker pic....

« Last Edit: 12/11/17 at 08:03:52 by Martin71RS »  
WWW   IP Logged
Martin71RS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: street tracker, street fighter? my Savage buil
Reply #1 - 01/12/15 at 15:49:46

When I was 18 (back then the legal driving age) I got my motorcycle driving license and started on a '82 Honda XL500R, drove that bike for a few years all year round even with snow and ice.

Next was a Suzuki GS550 Katana, this was the first bike I started altering. I put on Marzzochi shocks, Laser 4-1 exhaust, had it repainted, I re-upholstered the seat and put in a 610cc Wiseco kit.

When I started working in '91 I bought my first (and only) new bike, a Suzuki Savage. I drove all my bikes all year round so also this one. I loved the low end power but along the way I started to realize that a chopper doesn't suit my driving style..... how I knew? The controls and exhaust were all grinded away from flat cornering...

I sold the Savage to my mother (she still has it, my stepdad restored it for her, made a custom exhaust from scratch, reinforced the swingarm, added Hagon shocks, made drain plugs on the forks, added an oil pressure light and some more stuff)

At that time I got my car license so from then on bikes were only for nice weather.

The next bike was a Kawasaki Z550, got it cheap from a relative, fixed it, ran it for a while and sold it at a profit (that's me on the back) Smiley

My brother had a '78 Suzuki GS750 with a polyester tank/seat unit, it wasn't much but it was fun and loud...
I bought it from him and started building my first street fighter. I put on an original tank and body panels, a GSX1100 swing arm, rebuild the motor with a Wiseco 844 kit and put on a Harris exhaust (they are awesome!)
I started drag racing it in the Ultimate Street Bike series and that made me want to go faster Smiley

I started off my next project with a '93 Suzuki GSX1100F (Katana) which was practically brand new....except for some accident damage. I didn't need the fairing anyways and those motors are almost the same as the GSX-R but with a cam for a bit more low end torque which is perfect, 1127cc oil cooled. The front came of a GSX600F, the rear wheel and brake of a GSX-R, modified a Devil GSX-R exhaust, GSX-R footrests/controls and gauges and had a custom top yoke made for moto-x handlebars. This bike was a monster, had so much fun with it!

Latest build was a '93 Suzuki GSX-R1100W, the water cooled type, also bought with accident damage. Didn't do much but a small Kawasaki KLE fairing/headlight, polish all aluminum and repaint it. Of course a Laser 4-2-1 exhaust and some tuning to get the most out of it.

I had always like American Muscle Cars and in '98 I finally made the decision to buy one...this meant the bikes was sold to fund the newfound hobby.
I still have the car I bought then, a '71 Chevrolet Camaro RS which I also modified and rebuild (twice) and  I am currently working on my next project which is a '62 Chevrolet Nova 4 door. If you are interested you can see/follow those builds on my website www.pro-touring.nl .

Since then I had a Honda CB450S for a short while as a commuter bike and at one point I bought a '87 Suzuki GSX-R1100 project in boxes. I built that one up and started driving it but after a week realized that my driving style hadn't changed....but my personal circumstances had. With this bike chances are I would have injured myself badly and that's not a good thing when you have a family. So I sold it after 2 weeks (no pics).

Fast forward to October 2013.....

When you like bikes....it never goes away. The Cafe Racer TV show didn't help either Wink For the last year I was looking at stuff, project bikes but didn't make the step yet to buy one and start. All the bikes I used to own were dirt cheap now...also the really fast ones, but I quit riding them just because of that. I needed something that was fun and not too fast. Then I started looking at a Savage again.... I remembered how fun it was to ride, but also the poor handling, but that's something I can fix.

Early October I found one local and cheap which was enough reason to pick it up. It wasn't pretty but it was a running and driving bike which is a great start, I only needed the frame and motor anyways. In my head the plans already formed, I started taking it apart and gathering parts. My plan was to use as much Suzuki parts as possible and keep it low budget. (since I am also building a car). Just for the record: the quality of my pictures won't allways be up to par, I know....I use my phone and sometimes there isn't much light or they are out of focus....it's just to document my build and I always have it with me.

It's a '86 model with the 4 speed gearbox (I had the '91 before so at first I thought I was missing a gear). After searching a lot and seeing pictures I think the bike in my head would classify best as a Street Tracker. I do not care too much how it's called, I just build it the way I see it and I like it.

Just days after I got the bike I found the front end I was looking for: Suzuki GSX600F (known as Katana in the US).

The seller also had the rear wheel and brakes which I didn't know at first so I was lucky to get the complete set.

The front end just slipped in so that was easy, the rear wheel took some mix and matching but with the rear sprocket mounted backwards it lined up perfectly.

Even though it already started to look cool it was not the look I was going for.

I bought longer shocks to get some ride height and stance I was looking for.

The rear drum brake is held in place by a metal strip inside the swingarm (don't know how it's called) which interfered with the brake disk so I cut it off.

I don't have power in the garage so I had to do it the old fashioned way...by hand with a hacksaw.

I had been looking at gas tanks and after hours and hours googling on Suzuki tank I decided I wanted a GT550 tank.

I really like the shape, the raised strip on top, the chrome gas cap and the raised letters (emblem) on the sides.

It wasn't cheap but I found one Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Martin71RS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/12/15 at 15:53:29

When aligning the rear wheel it needed some bushings swapped and to be able to mount the brake caliper I ground down the GSX600F mounting bracket.

The wheel aligns now and the tire just clears the swingarm...maybe I still need to modify it or go down 1 tyre size.

Still need to make a mounting point for the rod from the brake caliper to the swingarm.

I bought a tracker seat and loosely fitted it on the bike...all good!

I bought another front end since the later models have adjustable forks which I liked.

I ground down the casting lines on the clipons and the top yoke and prepared them for polishing.

Also found the headlight I was looking for....again after searching for hours on google and ebay.

I cut the rear fender so I can use it as an inner fender/mud guard.

Found GSX-R gauges and footrests/controls. I only used the speedometer, hard to connect a 4 cylinder rpm gauge to a Savage but the speedometer will be connected to the front wheel so that's an easy solution. (and it will indicate correct)

This Vampire muffler will save loys of weight, be less restrictive and match the sound to the looks.

I just had to test it, slipped it on the exhaust header pipe loosely and started.

http://youtu.be/bOBAoDTP6uE

I had to make mounts for the nwe gas tank, after some measuring drilled a hole in the frame, slid through some full tread and secured it with lock nuts and voila...done. Sometimes it just doesn't have to be complicated.

Tail light...again ebay came through.

The GT550 tank originally rests on a rubber block in the rear so I had to create a mount. I used 1mm sheet metal and a piece of rubber tile and fabbed myself a mount. Now the tank bottom is parallel to the cilinder ribs which looks right in my eyes.

Now the tank was in it's final location I could start making a subframe for the tracker seat.

I got some square tubing and just started.

I used the threaded bushings in the frame (for mounting the rear fender) since they were there already.

Checking how the tail light will look.

WWW   IP Logged
Martin71RS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/12/15 at 15:58:23

I started disassembly on the new set of forks so I could take of the paint with paint stripper and prepare them for polishing.

I cut up the gauge bracket and welded it back together to fit closely to the top yoke and so that I can also use the warning lights.

My goal was to have the headlight as close to the forks as possible.

I made a braket to mount the headlight to the T-piece

Now it was time to polish the lower forks and rebuild the forks with new seals and dust caps.

I cut up the front fender to a shape that I thnk will look good, still need to finish it but it's close.

Finished the gauge bracket, polished the top yoke and clipons and assembled the front end.

Next was making the tubes into a real subframe.

The welds still need to be finished, I am not a good welder but slowly getting better at it.

I am confident it will be strong enough when I'm finished with it.

I made an Autocad drawing of the bridge between the forks, originally this is a 2mm aluminum plate which holds the fender.

Mine will be lase cut out of 10mm thick aluminum and probably polished.

I made the seat base out of thin (3mm) plywood which is very flexible.

By glueing 3 layers together with the grain in the middle layer rotated 90 degrees a strong base is made which will hold it's shape once the glue has dried.

I used Teenuts so the seat can be mounted with bolts from the underside.

The bolts will be clamping everything together on the subframe using small metal plates.

WWW   IP Logged
Martin71RS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/12/15 at 15:59:08

Next was creating the upper mounting point for the footrests.

I got some thick wall tubing, threaded them with M10 threads and made them fit the frame.

I only had to enlarge the hole in the frame from 8 to 10mm

Last thing I did was weld in some bushing in the subframe.

So you can see I did a lot the last few months, my goal is to have it finished before summer 2015.

There's still a lot to do but I'll try my best and post updates once in a while.
Cool

« Last Edit: 01/20/15 at 12:28:56 by Martin71RS »  
WWW   IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #5 - 01/12/15 at 16:14:41

Cool build...I'm in

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply #6 - 01/12/15 at 17:45:02

Liking where you are headed.  Keeping all parts coming from Suzuki is rad.  Kinda like a Super Suzuki Street Tracker.  

Also looking forward to seeing how much of the 160 speedo you will use up  Wink

2006 S40/Black/Biltwell Keystones/Reversed Drag Risers/Gaiters/Raptor/Dyna/Belt guard Delete/Engine Guard Delete/Bates Tail Light/Side Mount Vertical License
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #7 - 01/12/15 at 21:54:12

This is a very interesting build.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 01/12/15 at 23:25:54

Brilliant!  Forgive me for flogging a dead horse, but why are all the cool bikes being done by privateers?
This bike, Dave's, Braveteacher's and numerous others are bikes that Suzuki should be offering!!!
Pardon me, but I think I am being possessed/obsessed by that hulking single. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/13/15 at 08:43:01

Great build...and it may be the only Savage that will be capable of doing "stoppies".

I noticed the white cracks on the outside of the drive belt....looks like someone was riding with the belt adjusted too tight.  With the longer shocks you will need to leave some slack in the belt.  When I was figuring out how tight to make mine, I put the bike on a jack, removed the shocks and lowered the bike until the rear pulley/swingarm/front pulley where all in a straight line, and then adjusted the rear wheel to get the belt pretty snug.  Then when I put the shocks back on the belt had some play in it....and it gave me an idea how tight to keep the belt when I was not sitting on the bike.

Dave  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
braveteacher

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/13/15 at 16:36:18

Love it...

IP Logged
Martin71RS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/17/15 at 07:33:53

Thanks all for the kind words  Smiley  I will keep an eye on the belt and the instructions on tensioning it are clear, great info.

@TC, I like the area where you live, I've been there a few times...I have a friend in Newburry Park and I try to go there each time I visit the US....and we spend a day at the Camrillo outlets to restock our wardrobes  Cool

More on the bike:  did some small jobs like the brackets that hold the seat and sent some Autocad files to the laser cutter for the footrest bracket...I hope to get them next week so I can continue and make another update with some pics.

Martin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 01/17/15 at 09:38:24

It's good to see another who has been all over the bike, knows it well,modded it much,can help others, fine build,just a Fine build.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply #13 - 01/17/15 at 13:27:30

@TC, I like the area where you live, I've been there a few times...I have a friend in Newburry Park and I try to go there each time I visit the US....and we spend a day at the Camrillo outlets to restock our wardrobes  Cool

Now that is what you call a small world!!  Hit me up if you're over here anytime! We can grab a drink or something! Smiley

2006 S40/Black/Biltwell Keystones/Reversed Drag Risers/Gaiters/Raptor/Dyna/Belt guard Delete/Engine Guard Delete/Bates Tail Light/Side Mount Vertical License
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 01/19/15 at 07:36:29

A very interesting build you have going and I am looking forward to seeing more.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 22:08:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › street tracker, street fighter? my Savage build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.