Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
DUMP
01/12/15 at 07:06:07

TAKING A (trip to the) DUMP

I live out in the county and we have to drive about 5 miles to take our trash to the dump. There's just something 'manly' about taking your trash to the dump that makes you feel complete. You get to meet the 'regulars' at the dump, see interesting things, and meet new folks that'll come over and help you unload your truck without asking 'cause it's just in their blood to be helpful and kind to others.  You don't get that with most of the spoiled city folk.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: DUMP
Reply #1 - 01/12/15 at 07:24:00

We used to do that when I was a kid....the Township had a public dump and there was no fee....and no one on site to oversee the dumping.

The part that made it even more fun and "manly"...was we would take the .22 rifles and shoot rats!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/12/15 at 07:28:54

Ya USETA be able to drag stuff out,,, dump the junk AND get a scavenger hunt thrown in...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 01/12/15 at 07:40:32

Well, this dump is unmanned out in the sticks and it's one of those places that they rarely monitor. I see all sorts of crazy stuff in there and have been known to throw a few strange things in there myself. And there are the dumpster divers that come by routinely to pull out the goodies as well as cutting cords off of everything electrical to salvage the copper.

My funnest thing in recent past was last year. The PO of our house was a self acclaimed horror movie producer (super low budget stuff) and he left some props in the shed. I got tired of them being in my way one day and I took them to the dump.  Some poor soul came to the dump and found a lifelike severed hand, foot, and head strategically placed in the dump where you couldn't miss it. I wish I was there to see it be discovered, but it's fun just imagining the scenarios.   Grin Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
AlfromNH
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 01/12/15 at 10:02:28

When we had a town dump(years ago). My step father used to get stuff out of there all the time. Once he went and took all the switches off the old refridgerator doors that made the light come on and installed them on all his closets so when you open up the closet door the light would come on automatically. He was pretty clever.

AL

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/12/15 at 10:32:08

around here you're not allowed to scavenge.

but in the last free over sized/toxic round up I scored 4'sq. 1" thick fiberglass table top.  It'll make an awesome work table one day.

WWW   IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #6 - 01/12/15 at 11:49:47

Grin Grin Grin   Town Dumps !

Speaks Volumes about the, 'age' of some people here.

Drive a bicycle, with a uncased 22 pump across the handle bars.
To the hardware store down town. Buy a box of 22 shorts for .24 cents.
Then ride to the dump, and shoot rats.
Everybody had a, 'burning barrel' in their back yard.
On a Spring day, Everyone in town, stood in their front yard,
with a shotgun, shooting Grackles.
And the local Rod & Gun club, would drive up and down the streets,
and throw the grackles in the back of a PU.
(And take them to the dump)

Of course, that was when, when, the church bell would tole,
someone would put a 'X', over the, population sign at the edge of the City,  paint in one number less below it.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 01/12/15 at 18:30:40

Dave wrote on 01/12/15 at 07:24:00:
We used to do that when I was a kid....the Township had a public dump and there was no fee....and no one on site to oversee the dumping.

The part that made it even more fun and "manly"...was we would take the .22 rifles and shoot rats!

Same here but we'd shoot feral cats instead. They're a big problem in the Australian bush. We'd shoot what we could then gather a few up and use them for crab bait.

MnSpring, anyone in the rest of the world who read that post about you guys shooting birds in your front yards with shotguns would have no trouble believing it. I'm a gun enthusiast but you guys really are gun mad, aren't you?  Cheesy (just making an observation, not a lifestyle judgement. I'm half a world away... Wink )

IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #8 - 01/12/15 at 21:47:19

stewmills wrote on 01/12/15 at 07:40:32:
Well, this dump is unmanned out in the sticks and it's one of those places that they rarely monitor. I see all sorts of crazy stuff in there and have been known to throw a few strange things in there myself.

Over here it's called "a river bed"   Grin

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 01/13/15 at 01:32:30

Most people in this country can't scavenge on the dump as it's probably unhygienic. They just wait for the inorganic rubbish collection, then the cars, trucks and vans appear, the ultimate recycling or Saturday/Sunday entertainment. When my mother was alive we had a clear out and the only thing the official rubbish collectors got was an absolutely stuffed wire wove bed.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 01/13/15 at 05:28:29

Yeah,hard rubbish day is great ! You put a pile of your crap on the footpath for collection and soon enough it's been picked through and most is gone. Saw a guy one hard rubbish day walking about in the morning with a few tools, by the end of the morning he was riding a nice bike.  Grin

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 01/13/15 at 07:59:22

I have a friend from the states that lives in Australia. One visit ago he told me how he rides around on 'hard rubbish day' and collects things like weedwackers and other gas powered tools (and other things he can sell) and usually just cleans the carb and fresh gas, and he has working tools!!!  He then sells them on local boards (here we mostly use craigslist) to the locals and makes a generous profit off of free stuff.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 01/13/15 at 15:10:35

There's always a bunch of crew driving around in utes and with trailers scavenging any steel and other scrap metal. It's good. I've got myself a nice bbq once, a dog kennel, a few other bits and bobs. No savage tho.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:27:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › DUMP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.