Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ceramic coating on header ? (Read 117 times)
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Ceramic coating on header ?
01/11/15 at 18:56:52

Ceramic coating on header:

OK, have this header pipe from the ’97.
Kept it, thinking of ceramic coating it,
(Much better looking than a, ‘wrap’)
If I send it off, and have it coated inside and out,
in Black or Grey. And put it on the 06.

Stock muffler. Stock air box,  Slightly, ’tweaked Carb’,
(for 900f above SL, and Quiet)

Pros and Cons, on doing that ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Ceramic coating on header ?
Reply #1 - 01/11/15 at 19:37:19

I rather do it to a new pipe then a nearly 20 year old one.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/11/15 at 23:00:34

talk to the ceramics folks,and consider what Verslagen said.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/12/15 at 03:48:32

I say go for it!  The only header that I am aware of that failed, was one that was wrapped and rusted away beneath the high temperature cloth.  I would not be to concerned about the pipe being from a 1997 or 2007....as long as it is in good shape.  The biggest concern is that you are sending them a pipe that is not already worn out.  If it has a lot of rust pitting - the ceramic coating is very thin and does not fill up voids - the rust pits will show in the new finish.  They will have to blast off the chrome and there is an extra charge for doing that.

The Ceramic coatings are far more durable than paint, and they hold up very well.  The flat finishes are more susceptible to staining - and this is more noticeable in the lighter colors.  The polished silver finish is the one that most car folks use on the headers.

This company appears to have very good rates, and I was considering having this done.

http://boneheadperformance.com/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #4 - 01/12/15 at 11:08:30

Thanks Dave.

The link you provided, I sent in the info, waiting for a estimate.
They do outside ceramic.

Another one is:  (MN)
http://www.extremepowdercoating.net/contact-us.php
They said 75.00, and the Black Velvet, would, 'stain less'.
than the, Sliver. But photos of it, did not look, 'shiny'.
And again it was outside coating.

This one: (Wisc)
http://classiccoatings.com/prices.html
Said 130.00 for polished sliver, which they said would, 'stain' the least.
And, they did, BOTH, inside and outside coating.

(All plus shipping to and back)

I have researched, 'coating' the header. And found, 'insulating', that pipe, allows the engine to, remove heat faster. That is a good thing.
However, the 'wrap' is a very cheep and short term solution, and long term can cause problems.  So Ceramic coating, looks to be better.

Now, both those methods, remove more heat from the engine. And faster.  
So I suppose another question, it is worth the gain?

Not going for looks, or high performance. Just long term better 'life' of that ICE.

Thoughts ?

Thanks !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/12/15 at 13:43:20

Well as much as I like to save money....the Classic Coatings product is more in line with the quality of work that I would have been expecting.  And I do believe that having the inside coated goes a long way to cutting down on the heat the header receives, and also in keeping the carbon burned off the inside of the header pipe.

The polished silver is the look that most of the folks around here have on their hot rod cars.  I will check and see who does their work.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 01/13/15 at 01:13:55

I have done a ceramic coated header on my LS650 powered custom.  There are some pros and cons.  It is thin and has to be treated carefully until fully cured.    I had mine on and off so many times before it was fully cured I ended up with one small thin spot that has a tiny bit of rust growth.  Other than that I like the look of it.

There is a place in the White Bear Lake / Maplewood area that will do it for $20 / foot.  If you are not familiar with the area this is just on the north side of St. Paul.

The company used to be known as Rob's Custom Powder coating but he just got a new shop and changed his name to adrenaline customs
http://adrenalinecustoms.com/

As far as doing both the inside and outside there are very few places that can do the inside and you are going to have to get that surface blasted or clean some how.  I spoke to several people when deciding what to do on mine and they said unless you are pushing the limit on a very high performance engine and really going competitive for every little gain then coating the inside is a waste.  Considering the engine we are talking about I don't think spending money to coat the inside is worth it.

If Extreme is close to you then go for it works for you.  They are a good shop from what I hear.  I have a coworker that built a ground up build of a street rod and he had quite a bit of work done there.  They are well known in the rodding industry in the Twin Cities.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/13/15 at 03:50:55

I was not wanting the inside coated in an effort to gain more power - but in order to reduce the temperature of the header pipe.  Keeping the exhaust heat from transferring to the header would allow the pipe to be cooler and last longer.  I had thought that having "only" the inside coated on a stock chrome pipe would help to prevent bluing - but the one company I contacted was not wiling to coat only the inside.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #8 - 01/13/15 at 16:38:11

very valid approach.  I had forgotten that was one thing I was thinking of when I started mine since it is single wall just looking at limiting the heat coming off the pipe.  I gave it up as I saw getting the inside coated was a challenge.  But yes a very viable approach to trying to manage heat transfer.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:19:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ceramic coating on header ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.