Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new chain adj, bike running crappy (Read 130 times)
timmyboy85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new chain adj, bike running crappy
01/11/15 at 10:55:59

Just installed a Vers modified cam chain adjuster. Bike sounds great, the racket that original adj was making is gone. However, during my first test ride, the bike was running like sh#%. The bike was sitting for a while with the exhaust off and all fluids drained while I waited for all my parts to arrive for the adjuster project, but I kept all openings plugged or covers on with bolts finger tight. This is my first bike and first time working on one, but it feels like something is up with the carb or exhaust. A lot of sputtering, jolting, and more than usual backfiring happening when I say its running like sh%@. I live in NJ btw and its Winter time (and fuc%@#? Cold) at the time of this writting. Just wanted to put that out there to help someone help me diagnose this problem. I know the cold and precipitation may be a factor. Thanks

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: new chain adj, bike running crappy
Reply #1 - 01/11/15 at 11:13:21

How long was it sitting?... You may have a clogged jet,... or maybe it was just really cold...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
timmyboy85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/11/15 at 13:11:42

It was sitting for about 2 to 3 weeks. I guess I'll wait till Spring to see how she runs. If its still. Running rough I guess ill tear apart the carb and check the jets. Thanks for the help brother.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 01/11/15 at 20:31:34

do you have the plug removed where you can adjust your air mix screw? summer to winter air density changes ans such cause me to adjust mine for the "seasons" to combat similar issues.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
timmyboy85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/12/15 at 04:12:38

Nope, no plug removed. I think I remember seeing a post on here on how to do that. I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for the info brother

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 01/12/15 at 06:20:21

Here you go:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221818822/0#0

Just BE CAREFUL when removing the plug as to not go too deep and damage the screw underneath. It's brass and is soft.  It's all outlined in the link above.  When that's done, here's how to "tune" it

Savage_Rob wrote on 09/08/06 at 06:03:05:
This was provided by Lancer and is based on the stock Mikuni BS40 carb.  These are basic guidelines that work just fine on my Amal Mk2 also.  Remember that each bike/carb/environment can be a bit different and 1.5 turns for you may be 2.25 turns for someone else.  Don't just copy; tune yours.
Quote:
-start with the pilot adjusting screw at 1.5 turns out as a reference point, and count as you turn in and out so you always know where you are during the process.  Everything is done and referenced in the "# of turns out".  
-turn idle up a little so you have a smooth fast idle
-turn pilot adjusting screw "in" until engine begins to slow down and note the # of turns out
-turn pilot adjusting screw "out" until engine begins to slow (it will speed up initially then go down) and note the # of turns out
-then set the pilot adjusting screw in the "Happy middle" of those two positions
-after the pilot circuit is happy, turn the idle adjusting screw back down for the idle you desire.

*for example...if the turn in setting was at 1 turn out, and the turn out settig was 3 turns out, then the happy middle is 2 turns out.
**Turn slowly as you do this, no more than 1/8 or 1/4 turn at a time...then pause and wait 5 seconds or so in order to give the engine time to adjust, then turn again if necessary.  If you have a tach, then you can set the pilot adjusting screw by just tuning for max rpm, then set idle speed.
***If after you have finished this process, the pilot adjusting screw is 2.5 -3 turns out, then you definitely need the next larger pilot jet.  For myself, if I go over 2 turns out then I go up to the next size pilot jet.

When the pilot is properly adjusted, and assuming there are no exhaust leaks in the system, you will not have any backfiring.  It is normal to have some mild crackling and popping on brisk-hard deceleration, but there will not be any backfiring.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/12/15 at 07:56:56

A pocket screwdriver and a good ride, at the end,you'll be making such tiny adjustments,,,don't do it in the shop.

Put tape around the bit, that will keep you from boogering the screw,,,
About 4 wraps of masking tape and you're golden.Just set it up so only enough bit to get thru the thin wall of the cap..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 01/13/15 at 12:49:04

Just throwing it out there but did you remove the chain to install the tensioner?
Wondering if the cam was indexed parallel to the head...this picture shows mine (which wasn't perfect) but i don't think it can be adjusted.

Not sure if this is even something that is possible...it's been so long...but I remember being concerned about it when i re-assembled it.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
timmyboy85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/13/15 at 18:01:17

Thanks for all the help everyone, im gonna try and do some trouble shootin this weekend. I have a feeling the exhaust may have a leak. I bought the bike with a sportster muffler. The guy had the muffler attached to the exhaust mount/bracket on the frame with a hose clamp which I realize I never put back on. I think something may have shaken loose on my test run and now im getting air in the exhaust system which I heard can cause crappy performance.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 01/13/15 at 20:28:52

yup, that'll cause problems for sure. make sure you correct that before trying to tune the air mix screw. otherwise itll aggravate you trying to chase a moving target.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 01/13/15 at 22:10:00

Timmyboy .   it sounds like the timing chain may be off one tooth ?

Be sure to put some Sea Foam in the gas while your waiting on warm weather (it will dissolve that stuff clogging up the jets if you give it a chance).

Keep us posted  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 01/13/15 at 22:38:47

Bubba wrote on 01/13/15 at 12:49:04:
Just throwing it out there but did you remove the chain to install the tensioner?
Wondering if the cam was indexed parallel to the head...this picture shows mine (which wasn't perfect) but i don't think it can be adjusted.

Not sure if this is even something that is possible...it's been so long...but I remember being concerned about it when i re-assembled it.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz155/onelunger/xmas.jpg

I tried this one time when I had the head cover off too.
You couldn't do this accidentally, you'd have to force it.
and if it happened while running, I suspect you'd have some damage either to the chain or at least some big scrapes on the case.

WWW   IP Logged
timmyboy85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/14/15 at 12:58:52

Thanks again for the input everyone. I got home today, tightened my header bolts, and secured the muffler to the bracket properly. Shes running like a top now. Guess my first test run shook the header bolts loose and was leaking air in. I feel so stupid, the whole time I was doing the job I kept saying to myself to pick up hose clamps and secure the muffler before I hop on. I was just to excited to take it for a spin after throwing on my tensioner. Lesson learned. Now to start bobbin her out. Thanks again everyone

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 01/14/15 at 13:37:59

Good to hear...and nothing we do is stupid, they are all lessons and we wouldn't know better if we hadn't made some of the same mistakes  Wink

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:15:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new chain adj, bike running crappy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.