YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Mounting a Surf Rack
Reply #15 - 01/27/15 at 13:17:25

deer carriers can be gotten pretty cheaply.
good place to start.

WWW   IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #16 - 01/27/15 at 13:38:05

if you got really creative you could make the tongue slide to extend / shorten for different boards or a kayak or canoe

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply #17 - 01/27/15 at 17:05:30

Looking forward to the final result! Stoked you went for it.

2006 S40/Black/Biltwell Keystones/Reversed Drag Risers/Gaiters/Raptor/Dyna/Belt guard Delete/Engine Guard Delete/Bates Tail Light/Side Mount Vertical License
  IP Logged
philjayny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New York City
Reply #18 - 02/03/15 at 20:33:55

Tried to fit between the frame and fender: impossible for more reasons than I care to list.

I'm moving forward with the rectifier bolts because it fits so darn perfect there. All I need to do is get some extra hardware to fasten the pillion seat and plate. Only modification needed was to snip some corners into the rear seat "lip." Seat is in dire condition anyways so had no issues doing some light plastic surgery  Roll Eyes

I know I was warned about potential fender warping, but if the fender can hold a pillion, and/or some luggage then I doubt a 10lb board will ruin it. I know the issue is more about the wind resistance/sail effect, but I am thinking of adding a pvc "arm" between the front of the frame and the nose of the board to counter that. I will be testing for alignment after initial test runs before going on any lengthy journey.

Couple pics of a test fit:

No I won't be using these tiny screws. Plan on getting longer bolts of matching thread and use a locking nut and washer with the bolt threaded from underneath to avoid tyre clearance issues.

Also the plate will likely be slid to the right. It was centered for me to mark the seat evenly before cutting into it.

Rear wheel's still off because I couldn't be crappity smacked to put it back on after testing fitment between frame and fender..

IP Logged
philjayny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New York City
Reply #19 - 02/08/15 at 19:59:10

Been lazy and surfing so this was done during the week but haven't gotten around to posting..

Finished pics with notes for perpetual savage riding surfers' reference:

http://imgur.com/a/BRqNh#0

IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply #20 - 02/12/15 at 22:23:27

Bet your itching for the snow to melt and get this thing on the road! Surf was excellent here today! Seems like NY has been getting some really good swell!

2006 S40/Black/Biltwell Keystones/Reversed Drag Risers/Gaiters/Raptor/Dyna/Belt guard Delete/Engine Guard Delete/Bates Tail Light/Side Mount Vertical License
  IP Logged
philjayny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New York City
Reply #21 - 02/16/15 at 08:58:09

Yeah man.. Realistically I don't plan on going anywhere before I feel the road is safe enough to do so since I'm still a relatively new rider, and the winter does wonders to the roads (not!)

As far as swell, this weekend was flat or with too much onshore so it sucked, but hoping for some good 3 footers to get as much practice in before the summer/fall! Also seriously considering a trip to Sayulita (Mex.) Until then I'm hoping this will take me as far as NJ and Long beach.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:15:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mounting a Surf Rack

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.