philjayny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New York City
Mounting a Surf Rack
01/11/15 at 09:37:00

Hi all,

I've recently been looking into what kind of surfboard mounting system I can use, and it seems the Carver Moped/Scooter Rack ( http://tinyurl.com/n8kpemm ) is the only actual product out there that would allow this.

The way it works is by sandwiching one's luggage rack with the two plates, the top one having the surf rack arms attached.

First off - I don't have the luggage rack, nor do I plan on getting it as it seems week, and would not acommodate for the above system.

So I decided to take a closer look at our rear fender, and it seems I could potentially relocate the rectifier, drill out the two existing holes, and screw in the plate with the surf rack arms directly to the fender without the bottom plate ( I would simply use washers.) I will likely need to use shorter bolts with the bolt "pointing up" for tyre clearance's sake.

Similar to this: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/zzimmjoh/IMG_0072-1.jpg

Hoping one of you fellas could point flaws in my idea before I take the plunge!

Cheers.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Mounting a Surf Rack
Reply #1 - 01/11/15 at 09:55:54

My concern would be from the fact that the side rails don't connect to the frame and don't offer any support.
So, adding this rack may tweak the fender to the side.
I'd want to test the load on the fender to see if is capable of supporting the load w/out making a pretzel out of the fender.

WWW   IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply #2 - 01/11/15 at 14:11:17

Don't mount it to your fender.  The safest way to go is to mount to your frame.  I have numerous friends with surf mounts on scooters and motos and you gotta mount it to the frame if you don't want to lose it while driving and/or wreck you bike.  

Fender mounting would only MAYBE work on a scooter because you probably  aren't going over 35mph.

2006 S40/Black/Biltwell Keystones/Reversed Drag Risers/Gaiters/Raptor/Dyna/Belt guard Delete/Engine Guard Delete/Bates Tail Light/Side Mount Vertical License
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/11/15 at 14:27:56

With that being said, the fender mounts to the frame with 4 bolts.
Loosen all 4 and remove the upper 2.
have a stack of washers on hand.
Slip the bracket between the frame and fender.
Use the washers to fill in the space between fender and bracket.
It'll lower the fender a little, just stiffen the shocks a notch or 2 so it doesn't bottom out.
replace the upper 2 bolts and tighten them all.

you'll probably want to remove the shocks and jack the bike up to get access to the fender bolts, they're under the fender.

also, the bolts have a raised head, you might think about replacing them with button head allens in case of any tire rubbing.

WWW   IP Logged
philjayny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New York City
Reply #4 - 01/11/15 at 17:15:46

Thanks guys!

TC: That thing isn't rated for speeds above 30mph anyways so I'd avoid highways. (Does that change your opinion on the fender mount at all?) I've seen frame mounts from the same company and others, but only for bicycles. Also, with no sub-frame, not sure where the rear rack would go?

Versy: Fair. The board itself is 9lbs tops, though obviously with the wind pushing against such a large surface, that'll put more force on the fender in all kinds of directions.. That said wouldn't the brackets either side provide enough rigidity?

I like your fender bolt idea, though not the idea of having to remove the fender! What a pain.. That said, I'm worried I'd get clearance issues what with the rack arms being so low. They can rotate, but only so far..

Thanks for your input, if anything it will have been a fun mental exercise Smiley Still looking into it though..  Cool

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/11/15 at 19:44:01

philjayny wrote on 01/11/15 at 17:15:46:
Versy: Fair. The board itself is 9lbs tops, though obviously with the wind pushing against such a large surface, that'll put more force on the fender in all kinds of directions.. That said wouldn't the brackets either side provide enough rigidity?

we call 'em side rails, and like I said, they don't connect to anything other than the fender.
Quote:
I like your fender bolt idea, though not the idea of having to remove the fender! What a pain.. That said, I'm worried I'd get clearance issues what with the rack arms being so low. They can rotate, but only so far..

The upper set are just under the seat, so nearly the same height as what you were thinking.

WWW   IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply #6 - 01/11/15 at 22:08:15

TC: That thing isn't rated for speeds above 30mph anyways so I'd avoid highways. (Does that change your opinion on the fender mount at all?) I've seen frame mounts from the same company and others, but only for bicycles. Also, with no sub-frame, not sure where the rear rack would go?

Under 30 helps.  There won't be much stress on the fender, but Versy's idea sounds pretty slick.  Gives you some frame support, but the install process...
To frame mount elsewhere you'd have to be creative next to the airbox, or even right under the seat depending on your setup. But your clearances come into play as far as seating, how low the bottom of the rack will be to the ground and type of board you're carrying.  Make sure you look into what the rack is made out of too, some of them are real cheap and only for bicycles regardless of what they advertise.  

A buddy has a mount on his CB175 and his Ruckus, both frame mounted and I've ridden the Ruckus with a board on it.  Really solid doing about 40 around the neighborhood.  I'll see what I can find out from him.  

2006 S40/Black/Biltwell Keystones/Reversed Drag Risers/Gaiters/Raptor/Dyna/Belt guard Delete/Engine Guard Delete/Bates Tail Light/Side Mount Vertical License
  IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply #7 - 01/12/15 at 17:59:51

http://www.amazon.com/Carver-Surfboard-Bike-Rack-Shortboard/dp/B002L7YVDW

This is the rack my buddy uses.  Same brand as the one you were looking at in your first post, but this one can be frame mounted, is cheaper, and looks much sturdier.

Good luck man!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 01/12/15 at 21:04:53

Well, nobody else is going to say it,...

... and,... you ride a bike,.. and you surf...  so you're no stranger to danger...

...but,... I wouldn't attach a sail to my bike...  Huh...
If you own a car,.. take the car...
If don't own a car,... walk...

Mostly kidding...
I hope you get laid from this...
If you do, we want pics...
If you don't,... what was the point?...

...and we still want pics.... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #9 - 01/13/15 at 03:41:30

Yes, we definitely want to see the pics... Wink

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
philjayny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New York City
Reply #10 - 01/14/15 at 19:32:36

TC - I did look into this one as well. Thing is the Savage isn't that generous with exposed frame other than the front tube which would be an extremely strange place.  

Will keep looking into this. I'll stick with the subway for the winter season and see what the Spring brings  Grin

As far as getting laid well.. being in a relationship helps.. I'll check back in if that changes..  Wink

IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply #11 - 01/14/15 at 21:07:28

True story.  Hope you figure it out.  I'd love to see the final product too. May have to consider it now that I'm thinking about it.   Wink

IP Logged
philjayny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New York City
Reply #12 - 01/26/15 at 17:23:41

UPDATE: Pulled the trigger. It's cold, there's a blizzard, and I need to satiate my surf itch. $40/month to store a board near the beach so figured I'd use this instead and make-up the cash in 3 months! Bought the Carver Surf Rack for ~$130 off Amazon. Let's see how it goes!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 01/27/15 at 03:52:42

philjayny wrote on 01/26/15 at 17:23:41:
U$40/month to store a board near the beach

Yikes!  $ 40 a month will get you a 10x20 garage in this area....but we are no where near a beach or surf. 

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #14 - 01/27/15 at 12:45:03

fab up a small tow behind and lay it flat. I live at shore see it all the time here. Have seen same person tow his kayak too

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:16:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mounting a Surf Rack

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.