Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
wind shield question? (Read 194 times)
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

wind shield question?
01/10/15 at 20:56:20

Has anyone ever used the Suzuki wind shield that Suzuki recomends for the S40?   I tried to attatch a photo but was unable to do that.

part# is 990A0-7007

It seems to be level with the top of the mirrors and I was wondering if that is high enough.  I have never owned a bike with a wind shield before.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: wind shield question?
Reply #1 - 01/11/15 at 10:29:37

If you want maximum effectiveness from a sheild, you want it just low enough you look over it, not through it
of course some folks like them even smaller
so the question then is; IF the screen is even with the tops of the mirrors, where is that in relation to your sight line? your height has to be accounted for

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #2 - 01/11/15 at 10:53:25

I haven't  got the bike home from the dealer yet.  I suppose it would be best to wait until I get a chance to ride the bike for a while.  I was thinking to avoid another trip into the city I would pick up the windshield at the same time.

Does a windshield slow down the bike at all?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/11/15 at 11:19:18

what size windshield is dependent upon your likes.
if you like a bike w/out a ws, but suddenly feel uncomfortable at 50 and you just want to extend that up a bit... then a flyshield is for you.
if the mere hint of wind bothers you... then get the biggest one you can find.

in the summer, I like a flyshield.
in the winter, I got a sportshield that I cut 4" off of.
mileage is about the same with or without.

WWW   IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #4 - 01/11/15 at 11:57:58

Thanks for the replies, I think I will pick up the Suzuki windshield.  I had a rock hit me in the shin last summer that left a bruise even though it hit just above my ankle and I was wearing cowboy boots.  It spun off an oncoming tanker truck.  I wouldn't want that hitting me in the throat or chest.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 01/11/15 at 13:00:25

I have the biggest one I could fit. I can look over it, or tuck in under it when the rain is BIG drops that sting my purty cheeks.
It is wide too, and breaks the wind on my hands/grips.
I bought it because I commute and the protection and comfort against the wind chill is very noticeable.
It does not look cool, but I stay warm(er).

It is a quick release type, so come summer it comes off and I dodge the insects, don fake tattoos, and phony piercing....and become cool  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #6 - 01/11/15 at 17:14:09

I think you should ask yourself,
Why do you want one, and what do you expect it to do ?

For me, I have one, Because.
I want the wind to hit the top of my helmet,
so a, June Big, Wasp, Bumble Bee, Grasshopper, etc.
Hits my helmet, Not my face or neck.

(Believe me, a June Bug, at 60 MPH, hitting your cheek,
is not a 'fun' thing)

Lots of info on the web, about how to properly, 'size', a windshield.
And cost of one, can range from 60.00, to 300.00.

MPG, can go up or down, depend on many other factors.
Personally, I would rather loose a bit of MPG,
than have a Wasp, go down my neck.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 01/11/15 at 18:39:52

I have the OEM windshield on my bike and like it. It is short enough so that I look over, rather than through it but tall enough to deflect most of the wind over my helmet. I'm only 5'6" so if you are taller it may or may not work as well for you. It isn't quick-release if that is important.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 01/12/15 at 07:32:46

I am about 5'6" like oldNslow. I have the slipstreamer spitfire and it was too tall where the top of the shield was in my line of sight.  At the direction of a member here a couple of years ago, I traced the top radius/curve on cardboard, moved it down about 2 inches, marked that on the shield (covered in masking tape where I marked it on front and back) and I cut it with a fine tooth blade on my jig saw at a delicate speed.   Worked perfect for me and looks like a factory edge once delicately sanded smooth.

Cut at your own risk...what your shield is made of may or may not cut without cracking versus cutting.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #9 - 01/12/15 at 08:07:05

I think I will go with the OEM windshield as I am only 5'-8".  It is -26 outside this AM so it will be a while before I get a chance to ride.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 01/12/15 at 09:46:25

I'm about your height Flint, I've had an OEM one for quite a while and have no complaints about it, I don't do a lot of open face riding.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #11 - 01/13/15 at 03:30:27

Been wondering about adding a windshield to my 87... I wear a full-face helmet, always, since the time I caught a bumblebee in my shoulder at 60mph... felt like getting nailed with a fastball.

Yay... one more thing to look at before spring...

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 01/13/15 at 08:02:33

koehlerrk wrote on 01/13/15 at 03:30:27:
Been wondering about adding a windshield to my 87... I wear a full-face helmet, always, since the time I caught a bumblebee in my shoulder at 60mph... felt like getting nailed with a fastball.

Had a yellow jacket hit my left knee at 60mph in the full force of the wind (I have a windshield but no front faring) last spring and instead of bouncing off or the wind pulling him off, the sucker latched on and stung my knee. He didn't 'eject' until I swatted him off.

Not sure what hurt more, the initial impact or the sting.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 01/13/15 at 08:11:12

On the Dragon Run 2 last year, I caught a bee with my throat.....and he stung me.  I pulled over and quickly yanked off my helmet and jacket and made sure he wasn't down the front of my shirt.  I wear a full face helmet and jacket...and the only flesh I have exposed is my neck.  Most often I can see the big bugs approaching....and I did see this bug flying across the road and right into my path - but I didn't have time to duck!

And although a windshield does prevent most things like rain and bugs from hitting you.....even with a windshield I have been stung.  On my ST1100 with a full windsheild and fairing I had a bee fall into the place where my leg is up against the tank....and he stung me before I could pull my leg away from the tank to let him go.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 01/13/15 at 21:03:22

stewmills wrote on 01/12/15 at 07:32:46:
I am about 5'6" like oldNslow. I have the slipstreamer spitfire and it was too tall where the top of the shield was in my line of sight.  At the direction of a member here a couple of years ago, I traced the top radius/curve on cardboard, moved it down about 2 inches, marked that on the shield (covered in masking tape where I marked it on front and back) and I cut it with a fine tooth blade on my jig saw at a delicate speed.   Worked perfect for me and looks like a factory edge once delicately sanded smooth.

Cut at your own risk...what your shield is made of may or may not cut without cracking versus cutting.

It's hard tpo bel;ieve, having this sheild on my XS100, it could be too tall, even for a guy 4 inches shorter than me (though I am shorter legged and longer torsoed)
then I remember, you sit in the S40, you sit on the XS

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:25:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wind shield question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.