Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
200,000 miles on my ride! (Read 193 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
200,000 miles on my ride!
01/08/15 at 07:11:08

...No, not my two wheeler   Smiley   My 2004 Tundra.  Hoping it makes it another 200K.  It's been a great truck that I hope to keep until the wheels fall off (from old age of course, not from a catastrophic accident...knock on wood).

Have a little knock in one of hydraulic lifters so I am finally going to switch over to synthetic oil (should switched long ago...just never had any issues to make me change plus I changed the dino about every 3-4K) and see if that clears it up (Tundra forums say it will). Otherwise she runs like new.

IMG-20150108-02534.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: 200,000 miles on my ride!
Reply #1 - 01/08/15 at 07:32:38

currently driving my '02 odyssey with 232,xxx.

I almost killed it last fall when I screwed up a diy timing belt replacement on the cheap,  but got 'er running again eventually -  I still probably saved about $1.50 over the cost of having a professional do the job ( if you don't count about 3 weeks of all my spare time)  Angry Smiley

gotta love those rice burners!  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 01/08/15 at 07:35:37

Impresive!

I am worried for my little Tacoma. The drive train now "growls" at a mere 50 - 60 mph, and there seems to be a drag on the whole thing. I keep listening for what it could be:
clutch
wheel bearings
axle bearings
dragging brakes

I do not think it is an engine issue, but it could be.  Any insight appreciated!

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #3 - 01/08/15 at 07:52:35

In my work I deal now and then with metallurgists.  A few years ago I asked one of the  ones I think knows the most about why cars last so long now, as compared to when he and I were teen drivers in the 1960s.
He told me that some of the advancement was due to advancements in metallurgy, but the most important factor was the huge advancement in modern lubricants.  He and I remember when a car with over 70,000 miles was considered ready for the scrap pile.
Those were the days of pure mineral oil with virtually no additives.
I still have a couple of cans of DA Speedsport oil in my garage, as souvenirs of my sports car racing days in the mid 1960s.  That's the oil we used back then.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 01/08/15 at 07:57:49

Pine wrote on 01/08/15 at 07:35:37:
Impresive!

I am worried for my little Tacoma. The drive train now "growls" at a mere 50 - 60 mph, and there seems to be a drag on the whole thing. I keep listening for what it could be:
clutch
wheel bearings
axle bearings
dragging brakes

I do not think it is an engine issue, but it could be.  Any insight appreciated!

I had a similar issue on mine years ago when it was still under the 60K warranty. It sounded like a stick dragging under the truck and they finally diagnosed it as some known issue with the rear end and they replaced the rear differential for free. No issues ever since then.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/08/15 at 08:02:38

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 01/08/15 at 07:52:35:
He told me that some of the advancement was due to advancements in metallurgy, but the most important factor was the huge advancement in modern lubricants.  He and I remember when a car with over 70,000 miles was considered ready for the scrap pile.

I also believe that fuel injection has a lot to do with the longevity.  The fuel mixture is controlled precisely and we no longer have to use a manual choke to get the engine started and warmed up....and the overly rich mixture no longer is washing the oil off the cylinder walls.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 01/08/15 at 11:22:40

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 01/08/15 at 07:52:35:
In my work I deal now and then with metallurgists.  A few years ago I asked one of the  ones I think knows the most about why cars last so long now, as compared to when he and I were teen drivers in the 1960s.
Those were the days of pure mineral oil with virtually no additives.
I still have a couple of cans of DA Speedsport oil in my garage, as souvenirs of my sports car racing days in the mid 1960s.  That's the oil we used back then.

I have heard this as well.. and mostly agree. But having worked on my '65 Tbird for a decade.. I think it cant be overlooked that modern car just don't leak like the old Detroit iron did/does. It wasn't until I pulled the ole 390FE out and used silicon on all gasket surfaces that I could finally get the thing to stop leaking. The new cars are just liquid tight, and keeping all the fluids inside means you HAVE fluids. better gaskets, better design of gasket surfaces, sealants, better oils, engine designs with tighter specs (less vibration) ... most common engines these days would be considered "blue printed" in the 60's.  It all adds up to longer lasting engine.

Now if they would build a tranny like the old C4/C6 that would last as long as the engine.. I could buy a Ford again.

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #7 - 01/08/15 at 11:34:10

We have a 2007 FJ Cruiser with 80,000 and it still runs and looks new. Been all over the US in it. Cool
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 01/08/15 at 16:10:33

Nice one man  Smiley. Great to see a vehicle being used long term. I have an old 1992 Holden Commodore with the 3.8l Buick V6 and 4 speed Auto. That's done 280,000 miles on one engine that's never been opened up. Just servicing and replacing wear and tear items. The alternator wears out every 80,000 miles or so, spark plugs don't last long and the bottom end rumbles a bit when started from cold but otherwise is great. Compressions are still within factory specs. I did kill one auto tranny by towing my ski boat in top gear not 3rd, replaced it with a SH one from the wreckers and it's been good for years.
Long live the Modern Vehicle!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 01/08/15 at 17:10:01

I had a Toyota Landcruiser that went 530,000 km before someone totaled it for me- all synthetic fluids. I had a Volvo 145 that went 266000km when I sold it- all synthetic fluids.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 01/10/15 at 01:30:54

I have a 2000 F150... has 206k on it now...still runs good...been replacing the coil packs and misc other stuff.

Did a youtube for some young guys that wanted to know what it would sound like running only catalytic converters with no muffler. It had 205k on it in the video.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 01/15/15 at 09:29:16

So I changed my oil...from dino to V synthetic blend high mileage 5w30.  Some of it may be in my head, but I swear it seems to run a little smoother (it wasn't running 'rough' before). It seems to crank with less effort, meaning that where it used to chug, chug, chug, chug, chug, CRANK it now just chug, chug, CRANKs.  I also removed and checked/cleaned the plugs (they all looked good) so that may have had a slight impact.?

So...maybe there is something to using 'high mileage' oil in a high mileage truck.  

Who woulda thunk?  Undecided

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 01/15/15 at 10:52:46

I run 15w-40 in my ford....

I was running 30w in the winter... but we rarely see a weeks worth of below freezing, although it has happened.

Quieted it right down... you can really tell a difference.... LOL, you would swear the truck is thanking you with the quieting down of the engine.

Although you get to hear more body rattles and bangs when you aren't listening to the engine any longer. Grin Grin Grin

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 01/15/15 at 11:01:22

stewmills wrote on 01/15/15 at 09:29:16:
So I changed my oil...from dino to V synthetic blend high mileage 5w30.  Some of it may be in my head, but I swear it seems to run a little smoother (it wasn't running 'rough' before). It seems to crank with less effort, meaning that where it used to chug, chug, chug, chug, chug, CRANK it now just chug, chug, CRANKs.

You are going to confuse a lot of mechanics with that kind of talk.

When the starter is engaged......the engine is "turning over".....or "cranking". (The engine is not yet running).  This choice of words comes form the days that engines used to be started by hand and using the hand "crank" to turn the engine "over" so that it could be started.

When the engine comes to life....the engine has "started" and is "running".....(not cranking). 

I have been fooled by this before, when my wife told me her car would not "turn over".  I went out and got my wrenches to see what could have locked up the engine, and when I tried to turn the engine over it rotated fine.  Then when I tried the key the starter turned the engine over....but it would not fire ("No Joy".....for our members in the UK).  It turns out my wife uses "won't turn over" to explain that it won't start and run.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 01/15/15 at 11:26:31

Dave wrote on 01/15/15 at 11:01:22:
You are going to confuse a lot of mechanics with that kind of talk.

Wink  For clarification so I don't keep anyone up at night, it always turned over fine and smooth, though it seems that the starter has to 'turn over' the engine less revolutions before the engine starts 'running' on its own accord.  Wink

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:28:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › 200,000 miles on my ride!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.