Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
VIN number (Read 136 times)
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VIN number
01/08/15 at 06:23:20

This might be a complicated question to ask. I got my project bike as a trade with a friend of mine, he was rebuilding the bike as well but he didnt have time to continue so he gave it to me in exchange of work. Long story short, I was taking apart the bike so i can send the frame to powder coat and I noticed the vin number on the frame doesnt match the vin number on the title of the bike. According to him after he go the bike he replaced the frame he got with a better frame but the numbers on the title didnt change.

Will that affect in any way when I go register the bike on my name after I finish rebuilding it? How does that work? Should I CarFax the vin number to see if it was marked as stolen or something like that? I am a little concerned in that part.

Opinions?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: VIN number
Reply #1 - 01/08/15 at 06:33:43

It is an easy question to ask, an easy question to answer....but a huge problem to correct.

The original frame is what you have a title for. In Kentucky where I live.....you cannot get your bike titled if you don't have the frame that matches the title you have.  Changing engines sometimes is not a problem, for motorcycles the engine number is often listed as well as the VIN - but they seem to be hit and miss on the engine number and often don't worry if you don't list it.  The same is not true about the number on the frame - it is inspected.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/08/15 at 07:02:35

I believe it's the same all over... the title is to the frame.
Your buddy can't just swap it for a better one.
I hope he still has the old frame.

And yeah, I'd check it 1st.  It'll take some explaining for sure.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 01/08/15 at 07:37:50

This may be unlawful, but if you are confident that what you have is not stolen and you just can't get the original frame back (it was wrecked, trashed, burned, or otherwise knowingly discarded and not on the road somewhere) what about welding over and restamping the VIN with a die set to match the title?  Might work...until someone tries to register the other bike with the same VIN Undecided

If you do this and go to jail, I was just teasin' and didn't really mean it  Smiley

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/08/15 at 08:03:39

stewmills wrote on 01/08/15 at 07:37:50:
This may be unlawful, but if you are confident that what you have is not stolen and you just can't get the original frame back (it was wrecked, trashed, burned, or otherwise knowingly discarded and not on the road somewhere) what about welding over and restamping the VIN with a die set to match the title?  Might work...until someone tries to register the other bike with the same VIN Undecided

If you do this and go to jail, I was just teasin' and didn't really mean it  Smiley

This would be something i would totally do! IF i didnt have kids haha thanks for the advice tho lol

IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/08/15 at 08:04:44

What if i buy a frame with a title. Would that make things easier?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/08/15 at 08:14:44

jorge__mendez wrote on 01/08/15 at 08:04:44:

Yep, it has been done before.  The only weird part is you most likely will end up with a different year frame.  All the parts will fit - but it makes it confusing when you need to buy parts that have been changed.....like electric controls or wiring harness (major changes in 2004 when the emergency and headlight flasher were added).

IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/08/15 at 08:42:35

Dave wrote on 01/08/15 at 08:14:44:
jorge__mendez wrote on 01/08/15 at 08:04:44:

Yep, it has been done before.  The only weird part is you most likely will end up with a different year frame.  All the parts will fit - but it makes it confusing when you need to buy parts that have been changed.....like electric controls or wiring harness (major changes in 2004 when the emergency and headlight flasher were added).

Im building a bobber, kind of like a rat bobber so im trying to keep everything as simple as possible so im guessing for the harness i have i could zip tie conections i wont be using at all. Im just trying to stick with the basic needs according to "regulations" in new jersey.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #8 - 01/08/15 at 11:36:20

I suspect the piece of paper, the ‘title’, that the vin  is on,
their is a frame, with that vin, which no longer exists. (Scraped etc)

I suspect the frame you have, which you don’t have a title for, most probably,
someone else has, or had, a piece of paper with that number on.

You, could go, to the DMV, with the previous owner.
With a ‘bill of sale’, from him/her to you.
Then when that number is run, and if, it does not come back owned by someone else.
You could possibly get  a title.

Don’t know the laws where you live, but here, it would be called, ‘bonding’.
A unit is sold, ’With Out Title’.  The seller gives a B.O.S., and the new owner, ‘bonds’, that sale.
then they can license it, and sell it. and in time, get the bond money back.

Happens all the time, with a older car, which perhaps has been setting around, then sold,
But usually, the ‘recorded’ owner is long passed, and no relatives come forward to claim it.
And it is usually with something from the teens, to the 60’s.

If you go in, and the title number comes back, ’stolen’,
you most probably will not face any repercussions,
except, turning over the stolen frame.

Buy a frame, with a valid title, or jump through the hoops.
Your choice.

Again, another reminder, buying ANY, unit, that has a title,
Check, that is the Correct & Valid, Title to that unit.
Before, laying down any money.
(Or accepting the responsibility, of trading it for something)

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #9 - 01/08/15 at 11:59:48

The frame and title need to match.If for some reason you get stopped for a VIN check.Which they do in Sturgis,Daytona,etc.You will lose the bike.And you would be running fictitious plates.Because the plates would be registered to the title,not the frame.Another reason for impound.Rare,but it happens.I got pulled over and the cop swore that the bike was a Triumph and the plates came back to a Savage.He ran the VIN on the frame to check it.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 01/08/15 at 18:27:47

Fuel for the fire: if I built a custom frame, I'd have to register the bike as an experimental or something? Just curious.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 01/09/15 at 03:44:08

Yes register as homebuilt custom built or something similar...there's way more hurdles to jump through there.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
crookscrooks
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/09/15 at 06:43:28

Can't you do an online check on the vin of the frame you have now?  If so and everything is clear just get a b.o.s. and file for a lost title?  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 01/09/15 at 07:15:46

crookscrooks wrote on 01/09/15 at 06:43:28:
Can't you do an online check on the vin of the frame you have now?  If so and everything is clear just get a b.o.s. and file for a lost title?  

All that depends on where the existing frame came from....and who was the last person to have a title for it.  If you can't find the last person who had the bike titled...and if they aren't willing or able to help you - it would be easier to get another frame that has a pedigree. Wink

IP Logged
crookscrooks
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/09/15 at 09:40:05

That's true  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home