Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1997 suzuki savage start up issues (Read 139 times)
troyb49
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1997 suzuki savage start up issues
01/06/15 at 17:10:07

I have a 1997 suzuki savage. I was riding the other day and while at a stoplight it just died on me! I had just changed the plug the day before and everything was working right. After she died it wouldn't start back up again. The starter cranks and cranks but that's all I get! I tried to see if spark plug has a wet tip and found nothing wrong with it! Any help would be great. Also il the bike can roll in first gear now while off which isn't good I know. Any suggestions on that as well would be greatly appreciated!

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Re: 1997 suzuki savage start up issues
Reply #1 - 01/06/15 at 19:06:53

Are you saying the bike rolls in 1st with the clutch let out?  No compression at all?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 01/06/15 at 20:56:52

It's not certain,... but you may have gas-washed your cylinder...
If an excess of gas runs through the cylinder without burning, it can wash the oil seal off the cylinder walls and reduce your compression to zero.
Then,.. your engine won't start... and,... with no compression, the bike will walk in gear....

Check your airbox,... is it full of gas?... check your oil level,.. is it higher than normal?...
If so,.. you have a fuel leak... stuck float, or bad petcock...

This would be the happiest outcome...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
troyb49
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/07/15 at 07:27:45

Thank you for the feedback I will be checking later in the day on those items you pointed out! And yes the bike can walk in first gear without using the clutch.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/07/15 at 07:36:56

troyb49 wrote on 01/07/15 at 07:27:45:
And yes the bike can walk in first gear without using the clutch.

Yikes!  That sounds like the valve train has stopped working, the piston no longer goes up and down, or a valve is not seating.

Was there any mechanical noise associated with the engine stopping?

I would first pull the spark plug out, and see if the piston goes up and down when you turn the engine over.

Next I would do a compression test.

If there is no compression, I would pull the front valve adjustment cover and confirm the rocker arm moves up and down when the engine is turned over.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
troyb49
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/07/15 at 07:37:19

No sound just the engine clicking off. The piston seems to be moving up an down when walking the bike in first. And when I took the spark plug out to perform a spark test I could feel whiffs of air coming out of the hole where the spark plug goes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/07/15 at 08:12:46

So the whiffs of air indicate the piston is going up and down - but it is still possible the valves and cam are not allowing the engine to make compression.

If you tried to push my bike in 1st gear...you would only go about 3 inches before the piston on the compression stroke would make it impossible to go any farther without sliding the back tire along the ground.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/07/15 at 18:59:05

Pull the oil fill plug, blow into spark plug hole, air outta the oil fill ain't real good... first, get it on compression and be aware some air will pass the rings.. I'd dump a coupla tablespoons of oil in it to help them seal..
Tell me you didn't pull the plug before you cleaned the grit and dirt from down in the cavity it sits in..If you didn't,and crap fell in and you've been cranking on it, well,you do the math..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 01/08/15 at 18:39:43

Well, that seems to have hit a nerve.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 01/08/15 at 22:02:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/08/15 at 18:39:43:
Well, that seems to have hit a nerve.

Don't tell me bikes have nerves...
... or I'm toast.... Huh...

I secretly think they do... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
troyb49
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/09/15 at 16:11:51

I blew the crap out of around the spark plug before I pulled it. So try pouring a little oil into the spark plug hole? And then blow air through to try and seal the plug?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 01/10/15 at 06:21:21

yes, oil in the plug hole will help reseal the cylinder rings etc. if you did wash it as mentioned. if you didnt wash it, the extra oil is no harm, just do a little bit, not a quart!!!

if you blow air into the plug hole and it passes freely into the engine, oil case, etc. thats bad as it means something is not as it should be letting you compression out somewhere instead of staying in the cylinder.

just remember to blow around the plug before removing each time to ensure you don't let wee bits of trash sneak into the cylinder. if you do, don't post it here cause it'll make jog really upset. :'(

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 01/10/15 at 23:32:52

UPSET? You should have been here when I pulled the plug and THEN realized that there were literally bits of asphalt down there. I spent HOURS with weed eater string and wax probing and dragging out crap... I don't want to see ANYone else go through what I did. Wax,,, toilet seal ring, I keep some in the shop for running drywall screws in tuff wood.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:34:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1997 suzuki savage start up issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.