Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Security camera's and systems on the cheap (Read 82 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Security camera's and systems on the cheap
01/02/15 at 20:47:40

I have been looking for a 2 camera system to put on the house (front and back door) that can be connected to either my computer or television.
So far I have seen multiple systems... some ranging in the thousands of dollars and some claiming to be good systems, but only with cameras with cables and adapters.
So, anyone out there have a system on the house that is fairly affordable?
I am looking at Walmart's 2 camera system... that has infrared capability... although i'm not sure how it would connect with the smart television I have or with a laptop..... (might connect it to an old PC with windows XP on it).
Just started looking, and will be putting one up soon....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Security camera's and systems on the cheap
Reply #1 - 01/03/15 at 03:12:37

Many of the networkable PC cameras come with security software these days that senses and records when there's motion.  Might be a thought.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 01/03/15 at 05:04:53

The system we have at work is made by Lorex it has 8 cameras and was under 1k, I believe it records all 8 for a 24 hour period and loops. There are  a few different versions starting with 4 camera set ups for around $500. It's easy to use, we've had to find and playback stuff for LEO, management and just for shitz and giggles  Cheesy

http://www.bjs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId=10201&storeId=1...

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 01/03/15 at 10:23:09

There are times where cheap works, and this is one that is dependent upon what your intentions are.  Do you want something to let you see intruders and prevent a burglary, or do you want to be able to identify the thieves if/when they've taken something?  My dad installed a camera set throughout the inside and outside of the house. His truck was broken into twice, and the detail was low enough that we had nothing to identify from the videos, despite being able to watch the entire act.  He ultimately returned it for a full refund, as he was completely unsatisfied!

Another thing to think about is record time.  Some systems don't record video, but take freeze frame pictures every 5 seconds after detecting motion.  Others record continuously, but only store 1-2 days worth of video.  

Not all home monitoring systems are created equal.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 01/07/15 at 14:15:32

I have one I think I will purchase... at 2 for $109 dollars and wireless to boot, it will suit the "front door / back door break-in video" that I am looking to try...
These are IR up to 30', can be accessed from PC/Laptop/notebook/cell phone, and are set up with your wireless system. They can be setup for "cloud save" automatically, and have motion detection. So if a break-in occurs you don't have to worry about them taking your "save drive", it will be on the cloud.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-D-Link-Wireless-Day-Night-Cloud-Network-Came...

A wired system with four IR cameras is what I will eventually get, there are a few that are 180 degree and motorized.
I really don't want to spend aver $400 bucks and don't see the need to.... we never keep anything in our vehicles worth stealing.... our driveway is short (barely long enough for my Ford F150) and my garage lights are motion....so anything that passes by sets it off, even cars.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 01/30/15 at 10:29:50

Ended up buying the DLink 932L wireless cams...

Pro's
--easy setup
--IR for night time viewing
--Motion detection/activation
--Sound detection/activation
--View from any device using the MyDLink site... passworded by you.

Con's
--email snapshots hard to set up-- make sure you send them to a email you don't use for anything else-- motion will send 6 photo's everytime it is activated...it will fill up your mailbox quickly.
--software with java very tricky if you have windows and try using admin stuff...
--have to buy the cloud component ($99) that hooks to your modem and you then plug a hard drive into it.... I thought the cloud was their server, turns out it isn't... I don't see how they can call a home hard drive a cloud...
--You can save to your home computer with "free" software download but you have to lower your firewall settings so the camera's can save to it.

All in all I like these little cameras if you bump them up to 480 you can actually see facial features fairly decently.
I am going to put one at the front door under the eave (its an inside camera) and at the back of the house under an eave...
Since they only cost me $55 a piece it is not too expensive of an experiment.
DLink does make external wireless ones that rotate 180 degrees, the "cloud" device and the DLink software can recognize up to 4 cameras. I will end up mounting the 180's in front and back of the house, then move the little ones to the inside in corners facing the big screen and computers.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 02/17/15 at 22:50:33

Ok, a little change to the setup....
Downloaded the DView program from DLink site
I can now setup about 10 cameras if I get their ip addresses to put into the program (which is no problem if I use the mydlink program to set them up).
I have an old external drive (500gb) for the video capture.
CON: you have to relinquish your User Account Control to the software... so I would only use this DViewer program on a operating system dedicated to the security system.
I successfully capture motion activated video to the external drive....
I added an ICON to the desktop to turn the system ON and OFF at will...
I am thinking of ordering the Pi2 to use with a flashdrive boot and a flashdrive save video along with a wireless keyboard and mouse...
I will use a spare monitor to set the system up, and then bury it in a wall, or perhaps under a heavy piece of furniture, or in the attic...you get the gist?  The pi2 is approximately 4" X 5" x 1", so it should be easy to conceal.
Once it is setup, I will no longer have to connect to it, and can lock it up anywhere or hide it anywhere within range of the usb wireless stick.
Now..... for me being in florida... I will have to have my generator up and running if power is cut, so a reboot and auto setup will have to be attempted.
I will keep folks posted.... this stuff interests me....just hope my finances can stand the hit...LOL....
Maybe I can build a few cameras from parts?  radio shack might be a good place for me to start. Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:22:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Security camera's and systems on the cheap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.