Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
ZDDP Article
01/02/15 at 04:35:28

Here is an article from Hemmings that discusses the ZDDP as it applies to older car engines.  Most of the information applies to our flat tappet (rocker) engine in the Savage.....however we also have to consider the wet clutch and avoid any oils with "Friction Modifiers".

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/10/18/tech-101-zinc-in-oil-and-its-ef...

The one thing I found interesting is that the article claims the ZDDP benefit occurs during the engine starting period....when the cam and rockers are not bathed in a coating of oil (dry start).  This is the first time I have ever heard that ZDDP functions to protect the cam and rockers during the starting period.  I had always assumed the benefit occurred continually.

Whenever the benefit occurs.....I do believe that a 1,200 - 1,400 ppm ZDDP content is needed for the Savage engine.  Below is a photo of a cam from a bike with 17,000 miles on it that was obviously using an oil that did not have enough ZDDP.  The bearing surfaces are in good shape which shows the engine was getting plenty of oil - but the cam lobes and rockers were suffering from inadequate protection.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: ZDDP Article
Reply #1 - 01/02/15 at 12:14:44

And my head wonders if the real culprit isn't a casting flaw.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Re: ZDDP Article
Reply #2 - 01/02/15 at 14:31:00

I have seen the identical spalling on Lycoming camshafts.  Generally it is from the engine getting infrequent use.   If they sit for a few months, and there is any amount of condensation in the engine, tiny little rust spots start on the cam lobes.  

After a while they actually spall and pit like that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:31:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › ZDDP Article

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.