Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Ryca Videos
Reply #15 - 01/16/15 at 07:59:34

Dave,

Thank You Again

The rubber pads must be damaged or the tank tunnel is dented, as I can easily lift the front of tank at least a half inch and then I can move it laterally a half inch. My body was the cushion between the fuel tank and the concrete roadway when the mishap occurred and there is absolutely no damage to the exterior of the tank.

I notice that the bottom of the tank on the right side of the motorcycle touches the chrome head cover and the very front of the tank tunnel is touching the frame. I am thinking this is why I have the "buzzing noise" when accelerating.

I hate to drain and pull the tank when I know I will be installing the Raptor petcock shortly. I guess I am going to bite the bullet and put the petcock on a credit card and get it ordered today.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 01/16/15 at 08:41:19

Kenny G wrote on 01/16/15 at 07:59:34:
The rubber pads must be damaged or the tank tunnel is dented, as I can easily lift the front of tank at least a half inch and then I can move it laterally a half inch.  I notice that the bottom of the tank on the right side of the motorcycle touches the chrome head cover and the very front of the tank tunnel is touching the frame. I am thinking this is why I have the "buzzing noise" when accelerating.

No...that is not right.  Something is bent and/or goofed up. Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #17 - 01/16/15 at 17:54:34

Dave,

Thanks for the new picture.

I am guessing that one of the studs broke off or the rubber broke and slid onto the stud. I don't want to disassemble the S40 until I get the Raptor petcock and have 2 reasons to pull the tank.

Whenever I try to let projects sit after I take something apart I end up misplacing something, partly because the garage is crowded, and mostly because I forget where I put stuff. So it will be along 10 days waiting for parts, but it shouldn't be difficult to fix. If the stud is broken I will use all thread and repair it like you did for the mount that you built.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 01/17/15 at 04:17:38

You don't have to take off the tank to install the Raptor petcock - in fact on most bikes you can't take the tank off without first draining the tank and removing the stock petcock.  The back of the diaphragm casting catches on the frame on most bikes and prevents you from removing the tank.  You have to remove the fuel hoses, run a hose into a gas can, set the petcock to prime, and drain the tank.  When you remove the petcock there will be a few ounces of fuel that comes out....although if you have a sealed battery you can lay the bike on the right side and that will stop the flow of fuel when you take the petcock out.  I lay a piece of carpet on the floor and place the handlebar on a small stool to keep the turn signals from hitting the floor.  Then you can remove and replace the petcock.  If you don't lay the bike over -just have some rags to catch the fuel and quickly throw them outside if you are doing this in your house garage and the wife hates the smell of gasoline!  

When I first got my Savage......it only had 262 miles on it, and I didn't want to take it apart for anything.  As I worked on jetting the carb, changing the exhaust, putting on the Raptor petcock, etc., I soon found that taking the tank off was really only a 4-5 minute job (once I had switched to the Raptor petcock and didn't have to drain the tank to remove the stock petcock each time).  Three bolts and the seat is off, two screws and the rear tank mount is loose, disconnect the bottom of the speedometer cable, disconnect the fuel hose(s), set a towel on the frame behind the tank, pull the tank backwards and set the back end on the towel and tilt the front of the tank up to get to the wiring harness.  And this next step was the hardest for me to master......hold the front of the tank up with your right hand and reach up with your left hand and disconnect the wiring harness connector for the speedo with one hand!  You have to be able to push on the release clip and pull the connector apart at the same time.  I got pretty good at it after a few times....just like Fonzie could unsnap a lady's bra with just one hand!

The removal of the tank is much easier if the tank is low on fuel.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #19 - 01/17/15 at 08:06:13

Dave,

Thank You very Much For The Detailed Procedure!

I mastered the one hand bra hook by the time I was seventeen, which probably preceded The Fonz's claim to fame. I rode a Triumph too.

I am anxious to get the parts and change the petcock. I am going to push the bike up to the open garage door to drain the gasoline. I will pick up a couple of foot of fuel line the next time I am in town so I can drain the tank safely.  I think I recall reading somewhere on here that the fuel line is 1/4 inch.

Kenny G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 01/17/15 at 08:48:40

fuel line is 5/16
1/4 will go on, but very tight

WWW   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #21 - 01/17/15 at 09:45:04

Verslagen,

Thank You!

Kenny G

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #22 - 01/17/15 at 10:43:30

Quote:
I notice that the bottom of the tank on the right side of the motorcycle touches the chrome head cover and the very front of the tank tunnel is touching the frame. I am thinking this is why I have the "buzzing noise" when accelerating.

I think that when you pull the tank you're going to discover that one of the rubber cushions is missing and that that side of the tank is just sitting on the bare stud. When I bought my bike a few years ago the tank was sitting just about like you describe yours. PO lost the rubber cushion while working on the bike I'm guessing.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #23 - 01/17/15 at 11:01:48

OldN

The bike was actually a leftover 2013 that I bought new. The dealer's service department is one of the worst that I have ever ran into, or should I say one of the worst that ever ran away from. They possibly took the gas tank off when they pulled the carburetor to clean it. Which they didn't get clean.

I will run into the dealer near where I live on Monday morning and order a couple of the rubber cushions. They should arrive then about the same time as my Raptor petcock.

Thank you for the insight.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Re: Dealer Prep Work
Reply #24 - 01/27/15 at 19:58:37

Dave and OldNSlow,

I have attempted to change the title away from Ryca Video to Dealer Prep, to more accurately reflect the nature of this post.

You were both correct about the rubber cushions that support the tank, both were missing. The problem with the tank bouncing around had nothing to do with the mishap.

As mentioned earlier the bike was a leftover 2013 and it wouldn't run on the day they chose to deliver it to me. One of their technicians cleaned the carburetor and for some reason he removed the tank and bitched up the paint on the frame.

There is also a pigtail for battery tender so I am now looking for recommendations for a maintenance free battery.

I am tired and will try to figure out how to post pictures tomorrow.

Is there a way to report unsatisfactory dealer workmanship to Suzuki?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 01/28/15 at 03:45:14

First talk to the Service Manager, Manager and Owner of the dealership.  If that fails to get you any satisfaction....there is a Suzuki Area representative that could be contacted.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #26 - 01/28/15 at 13:59:33

It is 80 degrees here in North Texas today.

I got to ride the S40 and check out everything after the repairs. Everything appears to be functioning as advertised. No more buzzing noises.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:24:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ryca Videos

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.