Do it yourselfer..... (Read 75 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Do it yourselfer.....
12/31/14 at 12:47:20

Pouring "cast in place" concrete counter tops in the kitchen, mercy, it is hard work....
Anybody else try it?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Do it yourselfer.....
Reply #1 - 12/31/14 at 13:14:05

No, but I looked at the process, it looked very labor and time sensitive. Kudos to you for pulling that off.

I decided to go with Formica laminate. It cost about $700 for the job, including HF tools. Took about three Saturdays to complete the job.

The downside to laminate countertops (vs. concrete), is that they need to be replaced after about seven years. So, I stored all the tools for the job in box, hopefully I'll remember where I put them when it's time to replace the countertops.

The cool thing about laminate? I get to change the style of counter tops every seven years or so. Smiley

The style that I chose (in 2011), has been recently discontinued by Formica, so I'll have to pick a new style, whether I want to or not. Sad

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/31/14 at 14:36:30

I watched the professionals pour concrete counter tops on TV once.  It was a lot of work for them.....and I had to take a nap when they were done.

Good Luck!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/31/14 at 15:30:03

The problem with some DIY stuff is that the cost and time to make it through the learning curve makes it actually less costly to just pay the price.
Deciding WHICH projects that applies to is not something I claim to have mastered. The idea of the counter top has been in my head and after much deliberation,I cast it aside. IF I decided to replace it,I would go with prefabricated,common ,Lowe's stuff..But,I could certainly Oooh and Aaah for someone else's. Go get Em, dude..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 12/31/14 at 15:43:13

It is labor intensive, that's for sure, but it will be unique  Grin

The hard part was having to move a whole wall of cabinets 3/4 on an inch, as the original builder was off center, and I put in a farmhouse sink, which is the focal point, and with a tall residential spray faucet like in a restaurant that also has a pot filler, the 3/4 on an inch might have well been a foot....

Heck, just ask Bot what he could do if he had 3/4 of an inch more.....
Bet he would get some HD tats with his expanded real estate  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 12/31/14 at 22:50:23

seen it live on a bar top in a restaurant
came out great acid etched and colored beautiful
practice on diy 12x 12 stepping stones

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 01/01/15 at 06:59:51

Friend of mine had a laminate one start to peal....so he glued it down, then put 4" decorative tile on it.... looked really good...
I only helped with the edging on it...LOL... used liquid nail to hold the vertical stuff, then grouted it after it dried. Cool

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/01/15 at 10:36:49

Ohh, I would never tackle such a project without running a small scale test.

A model of the form,any curves,rounded areas, just some way to prove that the fine surface will be there and it will come away from the mold undamaged...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:16:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Do it yourselfer.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.