Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Belt drive and chain drive difference? (Read 178 times)
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Belt drive and chain drive difference?
12/31/14 at 07:44:39

I have been curious about why some bobbers have a belt drive and others go for a chain drive. What will that do and what are the ups and downs if I switch for a chain drive bike.

Thanks in advance

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Belt drive and chain drive difference?
Reply #1 - 12/31/14 at 07:52:59

A chain allows for easier final drive gearing changes...

Some just think a chain is more "old school"...(actually a belt is older school than a chain)...
Huh...

The bad thing about going to a chain drive,.. is you have a chain drive...
Heavier, dirtier, more maintenance, shorter life....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/31/14 at 08:00:57

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/14 at 07:52:59:
A chain allows for easier final drive gearing changes...

Some just think a chain is more "old school"...(actually a belt is older school than a chain)...
Huh...

The bad thing about going to a chain drive,.. is you have a chain drive...
Heavier, dirtier, more maintenance, shorter life....

Does it affect with speed and torque?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 12/31/14 at 08:14:53

Well, higher gearing will slow acceleration, but lower rpm at cruise...(not really needed unless you ride at speeds of 70mph+ often)....

...and a chains extra weight, works like a flywheel, slowing acceleration as well... (this is why racers will spend so much money trying to make their wheels, tires, and chains, lighter)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/31/14 at 08:46:16

Aaaahhh I get it now!

What are the advantages and disadvantages of sticking to belt drive?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/31/14 at 09:18:09

The Immediate benefit IS, you don't gotta do nuthin...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 12/31/14 at 09:20:55

jorge__mendez wrote on 12/31/14 at 08:46:16:
Aaaahhh I get it now!

What are the advantages and disadvantages of sticking to belt drive?

The advantage of sticking with the belt is that it lasts 4-5 times what a chain does....without all the mess and noise.  A few folks have some squeaks - but I can't hear those high pitched noises anymore so I don't have any problem there.  It is very low maintenance and very clean.

The disadvantage is that gearing changes are difficult...the only way you can accomplish that is by switching the front and/or rear pulleys to Kawasak pulleys - which takes a good bit of machining skills and equipment.  Another disadvantage is that a steady diet of gravel roads can be a problem.  You also are stuck with a single belt length - so making a custom hardtail conversion requires you to switch to chain drive.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/31/14 at 10:10:21

Is there any tutorial on how to change those pulleys? I am not looking into changing to a hardtail, i heard it gives you lots of back problems and I am already f#$% up haha ..but i do have interested in learning how to change those pulleys because i want a smooth ride with this bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 12/31/14 at 10:16:18

How is changing the pulley gonna get you a better ride?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 12/31/14 at 10:19:25

I don't know if a chain conversion would make the ride smoother. As Dave points out, you would need your own lathe and very good tooling if you want to do it yourself. There were posts on how to do this but I can't direct you to them.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/31/14 at 10:33:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/14 at 10:16:18:
How is changing the pulley gonna get you a better ride?

idk, ask one with more experience than me man. Thats why im using the forum to learn  Cool

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #11 - 12/31/14 at 11:17:10

I think JoG was trying to ask why you think changing pulleys will make your ride "smoother."jorge__mendez wrote on 12/31/14 at 10:10:21:
I do have interested in learning how to change those pulleys because i want a smooth ride with this bike.

Are you referencing lower RPMs at cruise speed?  Remember, it's a trade off.  For lower high end RPMs, you lose some of your acceleration.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/31/14 at 11:26:09

You need to ride your bike for a while before you decide you need more gearing.......I think I rode mine about 4,000 miles before I made the change.  Any if you are over 200 pounds or ride double a lot - the stock engine most likely won't like the taller gearing.  The first step up is to just to the front pulley.....then for more of overdrive feeling in 5th you can add the rear pulley conversion.

Here is the basic info for the pulley conversion.  If you get the Kawasaki pulleys.....you just use the stock pulleys to tell you how much to machine off or where to drill holes.  It is not rocket science....it is machinist math.  The front pulley is really hard, and a carbide cutter is necessary for the machining.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1384949185

This is only worthwhile if you spend a lot of time on the open road.   I changed both pulleys and I don't even shift into 5th at speeds below 60 mph.  My bike is light and the motor is hopped up....it pulls 5th easily up to about 85 and then just runs out of power....faster speeds require that I shift back down to 4th for some extra rpms until I reach terminal velocity.   A stock bike (weight and horsepower) might not do so well with both pulleys changed, and it you don't do 70 mph regularly you might not even like the changes doing just the front sprocket.  Serowbot tried the front sprocket for a while...and switched back to stock.

One negative of the pulley conversion....is 1st gear gets to be really tall.  If you are a new rider...this tall first gear may be an issue.

IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/31/14 at 12:13:45

Wow so interesting. But i dont think i will need this conversion since I will be using this bike just to ride around town, not planning on going on open roads unless is needed.

I think as of right now since I am a newbie with all this, i will stick to what came with the bike and little by little as I get to understand more about modifying a motorcycle, i will get into stuff like this.

Maybe a dumb question but, what is the difference between acceleration and RPMs when it comes to a "trade off" with this conversion.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/31/14 at 14:34:18

I have no idea what the difference in acceleration vs. speed is with the change in pulley ratios.......we seldom get into drag races with this bike.  My goal was a nice comfortable cruise when I was on the highway.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:24:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt drive and chain drive difference?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.