Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idle higher in winter than summer?! (Read 46 times)
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Idle higher in winter than summer?!
12/31/14 at 07:04:52

2011 S40 2000 miles.  Tachometer,  Raptor petcock, idle mixture screw 1 turn out, washer mod, 50 ft above sea level.  My first winter with this bike.  I had some growing pains with getting the bike running right this summer, but over the last few months, really thought I had it dialed in.  Keeping in mind I live in Texas and it doesn't get cold compared to other parts of the world, I did notice during summer and fall I never needed choke, and to the contrary if I tried using even a little choke the bike would run roughly.  No problem right?!

Fast forward to yesterday, run bike in garage for a little while to keep gas fresh.  It needed the first little notch of choke just to get started (15 seconds) before idling good with no choke.  After running 10 minutes, I notice bike is idling at 1600rpm.  Idle was set during the summer at 1200.

My questions are:

1. Is this normal?
2. Does this mean I'm too rich? Seems unlikely given how notoriously lean these bikes run.
3. Should I just adjust idle from summer to winter? I always understood a vehicle properly tuned should run the same regardless of air temp.

Thanks everyone.

2011 S40 Raptor petcock. idle screw 2 turns out
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Idle higher in winter than summer?!
Reply #1 - 12/31/14 at 07:20:50

Well......why don't you adjust the idle mixture screw and find out if the bike is too rich or not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

It is unusual that an engine runs faster when it is cold out.  The air is denser and wants a bit more fuel as a result....and the fuel tends to condense on the cold intake tract and not stay mixed with the air until the engine is warm.  Generally folks have to bump the idle speed up a bit for cold weather running.

This is a primitive engine with a carb.....so it has no ability to adjust mixture and rpm like your fuel injected car does.  You will have to make the adjustments if the engine isn't running well.

Running the engine stationary for 10 minutes Undecided.....I wouldn't do that to my bike.  It is better to get the engine warm on a ride if you are going to leave fuel in it all winter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #2 - 12/31/14 at 07:39:35

Well......why don't you adjust the idle mixture screw and find out if the bike is too rich or not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

It is unusual that an engine runs faster when it is cold out.  The air is denser and wants a bit more fuel as a result....and the fuel tends to condense on the cold intake tract and not stay mixed with the air until the engine is warm.  Generally folks have to bump the idle speed up a bit for cold weather running.

This is a primitive engine with a carb.....so it has no ability to adjust mixture and rpm like your fuel injected car does.  You will have to make the adjustments if the engine isn't running well.

Running the engine stationary for 10 minutes .....I wouldn't do that to my bike.  It is better to get the engine warm on a ride if you are going to leave fuel in it all winter.

I understand the mixture screw procedure and did so this summer, hence my confusion.  Perhaps I only think I did it right.

What is the setting the screw came with from factory? anybody know?

I'm at work right now and can't play with bike right now.  Was just looking for some idea bouncing.  You inadvertently answered my question.  If bikes running higher rpm with colder denser air than warm air...should mean running at least a little rich.  

I mention the bike ran 10 minutes just to illustrate the bike had been running, but definately not at full operating temperature.  I do ride during winter.  but this week has been particularly cold, onlly reason I didn't take it out.

2011 S40 Raptor petcock. idle screw 2 turns out
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 12/31/14 at 08:08:02

Something funny going on if your bike idles up to 1600rpm after idling for 10 minutes...
...(unless,.. the idle is set way too high, and it should have had choke to start)... thus, the idle seemed good and went up when the engine warmed...
Idle speed should be set on a warm engine....

Anyway,... I wouldn't recommend idling an air-cooled bike for more than 3 or 4 minutes...
For normal riding...
I don't idle a cold engine for more than 30 seconds... if I can help it...
I don't rev it up, either...
Just gentle riding for the first few minutes... (warms the oil quickly, gets oil pressure up)...

Needing choke in colder mornings, but none in warm summer is about perfect...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 12/31/14 at 09:29:21

Winter,summer,didn't matter, well,how MUCH mita changed,but the pattern was the same,,,

Fire up, idle is too low, adjust,ride, lower idle during the first 15 or so minutes,,, crude design,I loved that about it,AND they built the idle adjust so a hand could grab and adjust while riding..
I should say I don't remember that being an issue before I put the cam in and the Supertrap on.. But ohhh the backfire issue,, which,looking back,was
Likely leaking header issues.
So,WHY did you get a higher idle? Dang if I can even guess...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:27:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle higher in winter than summer?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.