Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When do you drop the oil on a new bike? (Read 95 times)
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

When do you drop the oil on a new bike?
12/30/14 at 16:19:32

I dropped a deposit down today on a new 2014 S40.  Usually with a new vehicle I change the oil and cut open the filter (check for metal ) after 100 miles or so.  Repeat the same at 200-250 and after that I change whenever the shifting seems more notchy than usual (1500-2000) miles.

I use Rotella T in everything.  I used to use XD-3 but they quit making it.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: When do you drop the oil on a new bike?
Reply #1 - 12/30/14 at 16:36:29

Handbook recommends first and most crucial service at 1000km or 600 miles approximately. They suggest checking all nuts and bolts for tightness and replacing the oil and filter. If you are buying new, this stuff is on page 6-4 of the owners manual. Running in speeds are on page 4-2 and aren't absurdly low 60 mph max for the first 500 75 max from 500 to 1000 miles then it's up to you.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #2 - 12/30/14 at 16:46:33

Thanks for the reply JC,  they are crating in a bike and it is supposed to be here in Feb.  I read about the break in speeds and it seems to be industry standard.  Minus 25 centigrade this AM and I don't expect ice free roads until April.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 12/30/14 at 16:55:58

I would dump it at at 100 miles and change the filter.  I would look at the oil and maybe go through it with a magnet just to settle my curiosity. I would change it at 600 with a new filter as well.  At this point I would put in Shell Rotella T or Synthetic and then it is time to ride the wheels off.   Wink

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 12/30/14 at 17:11:47

You're going to get a lot of different opinions about this but here's mine FWIW.

Suzuki recommends 600 miles for the first change, then every 3500 after that - at least thats's what the owners manual for my '06 says. I don't think there is any reason for changing oftener than that. I've always pretty much followed the mfr.s recommended oil change intervals in every vehicle I've ever owned and I've never had an engine problem in any of them - even back when engines and oil weren't nearly as good as they are today.

Regardless of the interval, the collective wisdom on this forum is that Rotella is the oil to use, so you're on the right track there.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 12/30/14 at 19:02:59

Flint wrote on 12/30/14 at 16:19:32:
I dropped a deposit down today on a new 2014 S40.  Usually with a new vehicle I change the oil and cut open the filter (check for metal ) after 100 miles or so.  Repeat the same at 200-250 and after that I change whenever the shifting seems more notchy than usual (1500-2000) miles.

I use Rotella T in everything.  I used to use XD-3 but they quit making it.

That sounds like an excellent plan. The first few oil changes are the most important.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #6 - 12/31/14 at 10:23:45

If I was ever to get a, ’New’, MC.  I would do this. (Especially a S-40. learning from the excellent information from this site, using (Rotilla With Redline added), because it is Still a 30 year old, designed, engine). Start, heat, 5 +/- min. Drop oil. New oil, , run for 10, drive it around the block/yard/etc,  “”gently””. Drop oil again, do same again. Then drop oil again, AND change filter. Then drive as ‘break in specks, for 100-200 miles. Drop again. Then continue break in, and change as recommended.  I believe, that that $20.00 +/-,  of extra oil is.  Very Cheep, one time insurance, for a very long motor life.

On any, New’, I.C.E. I do the following, Take it home, start it up, run it for 3-5 min, just to get her hot enough.
Then change oil.  Put in new oil, run for 15 min, ’No Load’, drop oil. New oil, run for 30 min, light load. drop oil.
Then drop oil, and New oil AND filter (if it has one), Then run for about a 10’th the time the book says to first oil change.
Then new oil and run as OM says.  And they LAST.

The first, ’New’, ICE I had, I did this to a 5 hp B&S on my log splitter, 37 years ago.  It went through two pumps, set of hoses, & 3’rubber’, couplers, (Eng to Pump). And when I gave it to my Brother 3 years ago, (who always, borrowed’ it), the engine was still running Perfect! (The rest, not so much, but hey the engine was Perfect)

The, ’New’, engine on the replacement. Salesman said, ’She’s ready to go, all oiled up, just take her home and run it, and every 50 hours, change oil.    Well, took it home, ran for 3-5 min, dropped the oil, it was BLACK,  (normal colored before I started, I looked). Next run, 10 min, oil was less black, but still black and, had the ’sparkles’, when running into the pan. Next run 10 again, oil was cleaner than before, but Still, Much dirtier than when it was put in. 20 Min, oil came out, almost looking like it did when it went in. Changed again. And now, when I change at 30-40 hours, the oil comes out looking like the 2nd 10 min run. (With NO, ’sparkles’).  Can you imagine, If I had run that first oil for 50 hours, how long the engine would last.?  All in all it cost 20.00. in oil.   $20.00 rather cheep One Time, insurance, against a $500.00 engine.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 01/01/15 at 18:33:43

The problem with this is, the original oil in a new vehicle is 'break in oil', not regular oil, and it's designed to help the rings seat, etc, so
i leave it in for the recommended interval, because 'normal' oil is not.Then after that change it according to the manufacturer's recommendations for 'severe service' thereafter
I know quite a few folks who drop the break in oil sooner, with no ill effects,but that's what I do
just do not under any circumstances use synthetic of any kind before the engine is fully broken in

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #8 - 01/02/15 at 14:41:09

Well the, 'red-line', product is a, Engine 'break' in oil additive.
Meant to be added to, any oil, for break in, at the rate of about 2 oz per quart.

In this engine, the recommended rate is, (for everyday use)
1/8 - 1/4 oz to a quart, of Rotella.
(Most probably more, if another oil, which has no Zinc in it, "ZDDP")

So, if, worried about 'special' break in oil.  Just add 2 oz to the first, 2-3 oil changes, then drop back down to 1/2 oz for then next couple. then after 1,000 miles or so, down to 1/8-1/4 oz.

In small engines, I always added a cap full, of some, 'snake oil additive', to the oil.  But I truly believe, the long life, is due to the frequent oil changes.

As to cost, let's see, 16oz RedLine, 16.00 +/-.
So that 1.00 a oz, or about, (with recommendations),
about .30 - .40 Cents extra per oil change.

Always knew, no, 'friction modifiers' in a wet clutch.
But who would have known, (Except from the excellent advice on this site), that, Zinc, (ZDDP), was, still, needed in a, 'NEW', MC like this one.

Have used, 'STP', 'Marvel Mystery Oil', and now the, 'Lucas', in small, 'old' ICE engines.  And they all have worked fine..   BUT, they are NOT 'wet' clutches.

Again. Do what ever you wish to do.
This is just what I do, and what I, 'would' do,
if ever I got a New S40, with 0 miles on it.

Which could happen, 'Almost bought one'
a,  NEW, 2013 one, 0 miles, left over, at 4,875.00.
BUT, he wanted, (in addition to the Sales Tax),
$190.00 Prep, $320.00 Setup, 230.00, testing.

I'll keep looking.  Grin

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:33:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › When do you drop the oil on a new bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.