Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas Puddle - Couldn't find the source (Read 93 times)
carcaveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Gas Puddle - Couldn't find the source
12/29/14 at 20:08:57

My bike has been running great and sat for a week and I started it to run the motor for a while. It ran fine and throttled it a bit every so often. I did have to use the choke and after about 10 min I shut it off. After a few minutes, I noticed a puddle of gas under the bike, but nothing dripping from above. It seemed to stop and not come back, almost like a limited pool built up and was done.

I never could find the source and ran the bike again checking carefully every where around the tank and the carb. I could not recreate the problem. I thought maybe I sloshed the tank too much and some came from the cap, but that didn't seem to be it.

I checked the petcock screws and valve and not a hint of a leak. I also removd the air filter and could smell gas, but no sign of a leak. I ran the motor without the seat on so I could look down the air intake. No liquid, but there was a smell. Perhaps it's normal?

Any thoughts on where it could have come from? I did notice there are two tubes coming from the carb that just lead up above the carb but are open to the atmosphere. What do these do?

Awesome site. Thanks for help.

David..

2001 Suzuki Savage

Yamaha Petcock - Done
Chain Tensioner - 8.5 mm (New Chain)
Oil Plug - Done
Handlebars - In progress

PS 24:1
(It's all His.)
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Gas Puddle - Couldn't find the source
Reply #1 - 12/29/14 at 20:28:55

The two open ended tubes that go up are vents for the carb bowl

Pool of gas, I'd look for a float problem. Float needle not sealing, float with hole. The tiniest little piece of trash can keep the float valve from sealing all the way and cause a flooding condition.  The gas will either come out a vent/overflow, go into the engine, or back into the air box.

If it stopped and you don't have the problem again, it was probably a momentary blockage of the float valve and the contaminant has now passed into the bowl just waiting for the right (most inconvenient) time to clog a jet.  All my life, if I find gas dripping or puddling, It's been a float related issue or a bad bowl gasket if it wasn't an obvious leaky hose or petcock.

I'm sure you'll get plenty more answers.  There are many very knowledgeable people out here and everyone is willing to help.  

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
carcaveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #2 - 12/29/14 at 20:40:58

Thanks Steve, Does this mean that I need to remove and clean the carb, or can I do something like drain the bowls (screw on the bottom)?

David..

2001 Suzuki Savage

Yamaha Petcock - Done
Oil Plug - Done
Handlebars - In progress

(It's all His.)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/29/14 at 21:05:07

Also, check the crap catcher hose that hangs between the engine and air box. Spozta empty it at oil change time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 12/29/14 at 23:40:23

Do you turn your raptor in the off position when you shut the bike down? If not, the pressure of the gas in the tank will override the float valve.
Check your oil level.... remove the oil fill cap and smell for gas in your oil, get a flash light and remove the air filter... stick a rag down in there and see if there is a pool of gas in the bottom.
And there is a black hose hanging down by your kickstand where it attaches to the frame, pull the little cap off (don't forget to put a container under it as stuff will drain out).

That's all I got... hope it helps...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 12/30/14 at 13:47:20

Long shot if nothing else helps: If it's been sitting a while and you run it on the spot for a bit, you can get a bunch of condensation from the exhaust. If you have a tiny leak in the header/ muffler joint, the water (which has a gassy stink) pools under the bike, the joint dries up and you can't see it came from there.

IP Logged
carcaveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #6 - 01/01/15 at 09:53:14

Thanks guys, I did happen to leave the fuel on, saw the leak and realized it was on, so I turned it off. It could have been the pressure issue mentioned from the tank. I took it for a run and no problems since. I keep it garaged and it's been relatively dry, so I don't think it's condensation. I I did check the air intake area and it was dry down in the drain area but the filter did have an odor of fuel. I pulled the cap off the hose at the bottom (there are actually 2 caps) and nothing came out of either. I'll keep an eye on this.. Thanks for the feedback.

David.

2001 Suzuki Savage

Yamaha Petcock - Done
Oil Plug - Done
Handlebars - In progress

(It's all His.)
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 01/02/15 at 00:44:42

Please check your oil.... the gas could have escaped past the float needle and into your crank case.

A good quick check is to hold your bike level and look as the oil window... if it is high, more than likely gas has gotten into your crank case.... also if you pull of your oil fill cap and smell.... you can tell if it has gas in it by the gasoline smell.

If there is gas in your oil it will eat up your piston rings...and cause other problems.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
carcaveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #8 - 01/02/15 at 19:51:55

I checked the oil for an odor of gas, but it smelled like oil only. Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to check that one.

David.

2001 Suzuki Savage

Yamaha Petcock - Done
Oil Plug - Done
Handlebars - In progress

(It's all His.)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home