Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cams/Valve health, and mechanical advice (Read 153 times)
JonBiddle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cams/Valve health, and mechanical advice
12/27/14 at 12:01:13

About my bike:

Year: 1995 LS650
Mileage: 5,800 (200 of these are mine)
Cam Tensioner measurement: 16.5mm
Compression: 155psi
Pictures!!: http://imgur.com/a/9a06P

This is my first year owning a motorcycle, and also my first time diving into engine mechanics, so I'm still cutting my teath in both respects.

Over last season, I felt like my bike sounded great for the first 10 minutes of riding, but after that, I could hear a faint clicking/knocking sound in the top of the engine. While the sound is not nearly as dramatic as the "Loose cam chain" videos on youtube, I'm wondering if my tensioner is nearing the end of its limits and just starting to show systems of a loose cam chain.

Also while I was in there I noticed some marking on the cam shaft and cams themselves, and wondering if that's normal for the mileage/year of the motorcycle... or does this indicate that one of the previous owners ran the bike without enough oil, or perhaps with too low of an idle? (16.5mm tensioner extension seems high for the mileage from what I've read).

Looking for any tips/advice from veterans to point me in the right direction, and help me learn more about my new hobby.

Right now my current plan is to:

* Install a verslavy tensioner
* Re-torque head bolts since I'm in there
* Adjust valve clearance

Thanks for taking the time to give this a look!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Cams/Valve health, and mechanical advice
Reply #1 - 12/27/14 at 15:40:02

Use a good quality oil with zddp content...
Car oils don't have it any more...
Most of us use Shell Rotella diesel oil... synth or dino...

Head bolts never come loose.... If nothin's leaking, just leave 'em... Break one and you'll be very sad...

...and, it's normal for the engine to tick a little when it gets hot...

Not sure about the rocker/cam wear... but, why worry about it?... You can't undo it, so just enjoy the ride...
Keeping the idle up to a smooth purr is the best thing you can do to make this engine last...
That, and the Verslavy... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #2 - 12/27/14 at 17:00:47

I can't respond specificaly to the Suzuki but generaly if you can scratch your fingernail across a cam lobe and not feel any thing it is usually fine.  The cam followers show wear first usually.

When you change your filter cut it apart and wash the old filter in gas or kerosene and take put a magnet in the bowl you wash it in.  Any steel particles will show.  I do that with any new engine, even my cars.

The black crud on the valve looks like you were running gas with ethanol through the engine.  If you live near an airport get a jerry can of 100LL and mix that half and half with premium pump gas for a few tanks.  

I use 100LL for all my engines that might sit over the winter, even the lawn mower!  You don't end up with corroded gummed up carburetors in the spring.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 12/27/14 at 23:00:42

You low milage engine is pretty clean inside, as would be expected in most cases.
There are a few small scratches visible in the photos on some of the cam bearing surfaces but they are pretty light compared to many that I've seen on running engines.
The camshaft rockers look fine and the camshaft lobes look ok from what I can see.  There are no glaring wounds.
One valve, exhaust I assume, has a little bit of carbon deposits on it.
It all looks fine.
Put the Verslavy tensioner in it, check the valve adjustment and go ride.

Yep, the engine make noises when it gets hot.
It is the nature of this critter; it grumbles a bit but that's just the way it is.

IP Logged
JonBiddle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/28/14 at 11:45:32

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like things are in better shape than I feared they were.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/28/14 at 18:01:40

Why do so many Expect the bike to be a mechanical wreck with almost no miles? It's a production machine, in production for decades,successfully. It's not maintenance free,but it's not junk,usually. Can it be messed up? Ohhh yeah, we've seen dealerships install the oil filter backwards and wreck the motor. Low idle will wreck it. Pulling the plug and allowing grit to fall in can mess one up. The wrong oil will mess with the clutch. There HAVE BEEN bad castings, cams have had issues,but they are far from ordinary. The biggest hassle is generally the cam chain and tensioner. Verslagen has that well handled. There are performance cams available, I did the
One step up from stock ,
It's a noticeable step, coupled with a freer exhaust, yeehaw,,
Others have gone a lot farther, bored out, etc. The fastest Savage is not a Ninja,, But,, a Savage, just well tuned and ridden well, is not a joke. These are bikes well appreciated and much enjoyed by the riders who know the value of a nimble,torquey,easily maintained and affordable machine. You have found a bike that will give you years of fun,opportunity to learn some basic mechanics AND a forum where you will not go away wishing for help from.
If you're not a mechanic yet, you can learn from these guys. I,before I ever found this site, had been a mechanic and bodyman, and worked on drilling rigs,copier machines,cash registers,,, yet,the bike intimidated me..
Don't be intimidated.. The people here are willing and Well Able to walk you through anything short of a counter balance weight through the case.

Welcome, and,if you have not taken a rider safety course, I hope you will.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 12/29/14 at 03:25:19

Nothing to worry about.....but it is a bit curious that one intake valve is squeaky clean and the other one has some deposits on the back side.

You will be adjusting the valves when you put the head cover back on so that will take care of that possible difference.

Back in my sports car days the national club recommended Chevron Techron for cleaning up intake system deposits.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt to run some of that through the bike if you are a fanatic about cleanliness - but I wouldn't lose any sleep over one valve having a few deposits....it is not uncommon.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JonBiddle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/29/14 at 06:27:20

I think a lot of my trepidation comes from feeling like the seller of the bike wasn't totally honest with me, and after uncovering a few other issues (front break caliper piston seal issue, some hidden rust, leaky gaskets...), I'm now expecting to find other issues... but I guess things just aren't as bad as I feared.

My wife and I took the MSF course last spring (she's starting on a Rebel 250), and we're both loving it.

Thanks Dave! I'll take a look at Chron Techron.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 12/29/14 at 11:04:43

Here is a video of what Techron does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awSv8wno0OM

Now that you know what your valves look like - try this stuff and than take another photo for us after using up the bottle.  Then we will know how well it works!

Dave  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
carcaveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #9 - 01/01/15 at 14:48:06

In the 2nd picture, upper left corner, are those cracks in the casting on the left bolt area of the bearing? Also in the 3rd picture left side, center area.

David

2001 Suzuki Savage

Yamaha Petcock - Done
Chain Tensioner - 8.5 mm (New Chain)
Oil Plug - Done
Handlebars - In progress

PS 24:1
(It's all His.)
  IP Logged
JonBiddle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/05/15 at 10:58:13

They are tiny raised creases in the metal.. my guess is they're a result of the molding process... but that's just purely a guess.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:31:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cams/Valve health, and mechanical advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.