Send Topic Print
problem tunning (Read 91 times)
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

problem tunning
12/24/14 at 20:57:51

I have a 2003 with a k & n cone filter and bluecollarbobbers drag pipe on there(it has a baffle in it ). jetted out the carb to a 152.5 main and a 55 pilot and im still gettin backfiring after turning off the bike. I live in miami florida where its pretty humid which i heard plays arole in tunning but im not to sure. I took the plug out for the fuel/air mixture and have it 3 turns out from close. that bike has about 6000 miles and she has been getting hard to start latley What could be the problem?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: problem tunning
Reply #1 - 12/24/14 at 23:57:12

define "backfiring after shut down"
a loud bang
a bang
a poof

try letting the bike idle a few b4 shut down

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/25/14 at 06:11:35

The bike backfires when you shut it down.....because you have shut off the ignition and there is no spark - while the turning engine is still sucking air through the carb and mixing it with fuel.  The fuel is then pushed into the exhaust and ignited by the hot pipe.

A lean mixture in the exhaust can make a louder bang than a rich mixture - but trying to richen up the mixture too much to eliminate the bang will make the bike run rich with poor fuel mileage, potential problemes with carbon fouling, and reduced cylinder and ring life if the excess fuel washes the oil off the cylinder walls.

If you let the bike idle for 20-30 seconds before you shut the engine off it might allow the exhaust to cool a bit.  You can also try pulling your fuel enrichement knob out a notch or two when you turn the bike off, or you can leave the bike in gear and feather the clutch with your left hand to slow the engine down faster while you turn off the kill switch with your right hand.  And as much as we like a high idle speed to help keep oil pressure up to the head at idle.....too fast of an idle speed can make the "pop" on shutdown much worse.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/25/14 at 18:25:34

well sometimes it makes a bang and other times a poof nothing to loud but everyone always looks lol i know i have a small exhaust leak that could be causing the backfiring? but what about the hard starting maybe i should change spark plugs??/

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 12/26/14 at 23:05:00

Blow out the cavity the plug is down in before pulling the plug. You don't want dirt and grit falling in the jug.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 12/27/14 at 23:07:47

savagetyler650 wrote on 12/25/14 at 18:25:34:
well sometimes it makes a bang and other times a poof nothing to loud but everyone always looks lol i know i have a small exhaust leak that could be causing the backfiring? but what about the hard starting maybe i should change spark plugs??/

Yes, the exhaust air leak will most certainly cause backfiring issues for you.
Having a drag pipe makes tuning a bit more difficult as it is, but the air leak compounds the problem.  You NEED to fix the air leak before you can expect to get better results from your tuning efforts.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:28:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › problem tunning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.