Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Lost Finger Parts
Reply #15 - 12/24/14 at 21:57:44

MnSpring wrote on 12/24/14 at 15:12:46:
I personally have not lost any, 'finger', parts;.

However, MANNY, people I have known, (and some are still alive).
Have had parts, of fingers/hands/arms, taken off from,
'Corn Pickers', And they ALL, have adjusted Very Well.

I believe the, 'key', is, while, 'healing', is, move to the, 'point of pain', then back off. Each time, the, 'point of pain', movement, is used, it will afford a little more movement.

It truly is unfortunate to loose digits.
But that loss, CAN, be overcome.

I Personally know a person, who lost, all but the, ring finger on left hand, and all but the thumb on the right hand.  (Frost bite)
And he drives a MS  Just Fine !

My Dad could, with his 'reduced' hand (was missing  ring, 1/2 middle, tip of index, thanks to another guy's  careless moment with an ax in his youth) tighten a bolt to the point almost no one besides him could get it loose
he had a habit of constantly squeezing this rubber ball he carried with him most everywhere he went

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 12/25/14 at 00:54:34

Because I reached for the governor on a Detroit diesel I now get a10%
discount on a manicure. The turbo sucked my hand in. Old guys I had been around were always saying
When you get hurt really good it don't hurt right then.

Clearly getting the bone ripped out of a finger,leaving a bloody tube with the profile of a turbo blade routered into it doesn't count as
Hurt really good

Cuz it hurt,, felt like a red hot sledgehammer mashed my hand,,
It's been 29 years, I'm still careful with it, cuz thumped just right it's Very unpleasant.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #17 - 12/25/14 at 02:12:58

MMRanch, I sure hppe you heal fast, as I would like to see you in the Texas Hill Country this spring!!  Cheesy

However, these subject lineups are getting more bizarre  Shocked

Capture2.PNG

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #18 - 12/25/14 at 10:49:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/25/14 at 00:54:34:
Old guys I had been around were always saying
When you get hurt really good it don't hurt right then.

I'll 2nd that!  Later on though.... Shocked

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 12/25/14 at 11:44:11

MM, sorry to hear about your.....loss!

I have never lost any digits yet - but I did put my index finger through a window when I was about 9.  It cut the meat to the bone and you could roll the end of the finger off the end and look at the bone.  The hospital sewed it back on and it works fine.  It was very tender for a long time as the nerve was cut and although it was mostly normal a couple of months later - if I accidentally banged my finger on something it really hurt.

You will be back riding in the spring without any problems.....you might have to learn a new guitar style.  Django Reinhardt burned his hand badly in a fire....and learned to be one of the all time great jazz guitar players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch€?v=T5jtcxtMzAE

« Last Edit: 12/26/14 at 09:42:59 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 12/25/14 at 17:41:55

Dave
that guy's hand looks real familiar !  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #21 - 12/26/14 at 14:20:25

Aww man MM so sorry to hear about your accident   :'(  

Good MoJo heading your way, wishing you a speedy recovery and an easy acclimation to your new digits.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #22 - 12/26/14 at 16:21:37

Wow, there's more of us missing digits than I knew.  I thought it was just me and Frodo!

Glad you're recovering and that it wasn't worse than it is!

I lost the first joint of right thumb - amputated due to sarcoma about 5  years back.

Some Thoughts:  

Don't be afraid to use pity to manipulate your wife

( "Owww... honey could you hand me another beer?")  Wink

In my case it was really tender at first, but now doesn't bother me.  After it healed up, but was still very painful, I used to tap it as hard as I could stand on the table, chair leg, whatever was handy.  Doc said that would eventually desensitize nerves. He was correct.  Once you get the area less sensitive, you'll learn to use it like before.

I think you'll be able to learn to do whatever you did before, maybe easier than you expect.  I have a stubby right thumb (I'm right handed).  At first it seemed very difficult to do things like tie shoes, button collars, but within a few months I was figuring things out.  

Phantom feeling was weird at first.  I used to close my eyes and "touch" my thumb tip with my index finger I swear I could feel it!  Also used to itch some.  That's been done for quite a while.  

I would say very roughly a year until I seldom thought of it.  

About the only time I feel handicapped by it now is when I'm trying to start a small screw or bolt into a threaded hole I can't see.  (You know, when you're reaching down in the tiny space beside your car engine)  Thumb just not long or sensitive enough now.  I just have to use my left hand.  

good luck MMranch!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #23 - 12/26/14 at 21:17:33

All these stories leaves me thinking "I wasn't normal till I lost a couple of pieces"  Grin

I can't thank ya'll enough for the support .  Smiley   I drove my "manual clutch" four wheeler today .   It was still sitting where I parked it the day I came back to the house on the way to the emergency room .   It seems that pulling the strings on any finger makes all of them tighten up a little.   The pain patch works !  Wink

1226142313-00.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #24 - 12/29/14 at 04:29:22

Way before my time my daddy worked at the milk plant in town, one machine waxed the paper cartons they put milk in and everything associated with it. The proper procedure was to shut the machine down and steam clean it to get the wax off, especially off the chains and sprockets. The improper procedure was to use your finger to pop the wax out of the chain links before it went into the sprocket. You can guess what my dad did. Worked out fine, until chain, sprocket and finger connected.

He mashed his finger right index finger off at the first joint. He talked about many doctor visits with the doctor telling him he was going to make his finger pretty, none of the mushroom shaped stuff that was common back in the day. The doctor would take some kind of snips and trim the end of the finger, basically whittling it down. Daddy said the dr would slide his glasses down on his nose and snip away, pieces flying around the room. Occasionally, the dr would hit a live part, and daddy would tell him it hurt. The dr would reply, I' didn't feel anything and never slow down. In the end, it looked just like the last joint was simply pulled off, like a new end would just fit perfectly on there.

Daddy was right handed and never seemed to have any trouble, I believe he pulled the trigger with his middle finger, but that's the only change he made. And that bone on the end of his nub was bad when it came smashing down on your head! It was as hard as the bone underneath, he often amused us kids by busting things with it, besides our heads.

I have no idea how long it took him to get it toughened up or before he could use it, like I said that was before my time. But it never was a handicap to him. MMRanch, probably won't be to you either, once you get used to it.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #25 - 01/05/15 at 19:29:14

Should be ready about time the weather is :

0105152108-00.jpg

Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #26 - 01/05/15 at 22:06:05

Yikes... that looks painful...but...

An adventurous life is measured by scars...
Seems wasteful to leave this life without wearing this body out...

Congratulations on living this life, instead of just existing ....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 01/05/15 at 23:37:44

I was born left handed. At the time of my accident I was 12 years old. The Dr. gave me three small rubber balls and said he wanted me to learn how to juggle. My next appointment was in a month and he told me I would be right handed from then on. He was right. At the end of the month I could write almost as well with my right hand as I could with my left before the accident. You will find that losing a couple of fingers is no big deal.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:21:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Lost Finger Parts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.