Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Quest for the $180 smart phone (Read 310 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Quest for the $180 smart phone
12/23/14 at 09:56:28

The $180 smart phone

Since things are getting cheaper all the time, sometimes you just gotta go for it instead of waiting around forever.

This April, I drop off of my current Verizon family plan and I have told my family I am not buying another $600 cell phone from a carrier.    

(yep, multiply your plan's phone allotment by 24 months and your phone costs you at least $600)

To get a $180 smart phone this leaves me two paths to explore, buying a BRING YOUR OWN PHONE that will match up with a T-Mobile family plan or else jump ship completely and go with a Republic Wireless set up.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Quest for the $180 smart phone
Reply #1 - 12/23/14 at 16:39:00

I have simple needs and had a "stupid phone", but I needed email access to 3 different accounts while I was away from the office while my wife was ill.
I got a Cricket account, and ZTE Grand X phone.
$99 phone (after $50 rebate), and $35 month (1gb data). Works OK for me.
But, you are the electro toy guru, so, I figure you already have all the 1 and 0's lined up!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/23/14 at 18:53:08

I have Straight Talk, you have to pay for the phone up front, but you can bring your own phone, $45 a month unlimited talk, text, and data, only 3 g but it's as fast online as my PC most of the time

Also, Verizon towers, so better reception than any other carrier in my area

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 12/23/14 at 19:03:19

Your plans are way too expensive for me ..... I am thinking $25 or less a month and a phone that won't cost more than $180.

Republic Wireless sets this benchmark for me -- a Moto G with 16 gigs cost $179 and a wifi/3G mixed plan costs $25 a month, but during normal stay at home weeks I can cut it back down to only $10 a month.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 12/23/14 at 19:25:04

I'd bet a hat your phone will have no signal in my place of work, if it has it in my town at all
ATT, T mobile, Sprint, none of them work in my store, so I doubt a new startup will, either, though I could be wrong
a 25 dollar service plan that doesn't work when I need it ti is of no value to me

my store does have free wifi, but no idea how I'd use that to make phone calls / texts

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 12/23/14 at 19:41:43

Art, how much would you like to bet me on your bet?   How expensive are your hats?

Especially after you done told me you gots wifi out there for the pluckin'.    You will have to share your wifi password with me of course unless you have left your router open to the public (and most businesses that see you as a repeat customer really don't mind sharing the password so you can get calls in their store because the data load for calls is so miniscule for simple words and text (jest a few kilobytes) so yep, even the ones that don't offer an open router to the public will let you take a call).

I bets you the same $179 phone running only just the $5 a month cheapie Republic Wireless plan can let you sit in your wifi equipped store and do calls ALL OVER THE WORLD and TEXT ditto ditto ditto  and also get unlimited fast internet searches all day long (or until your router resets itself due to the constant use, anyway).

$5 a month for the plan  &  $179 pay me cash up front for the special guts modified phone.

Like Art, at work I have a campus jest slam full of open wifi so I gots $5 plan Republic wifi coverage at work and at home.

But since the upgrade plans are so durn cheap that for my wife I'd hedge my bets with some 3-G cell tower coverage for her phone calls made when away from good wifi (while driving for example) with the $10 a month plan .... and for some vacation craziness I'd opt up to do a week at the $25 a month plan rate (yep, that's $5 whole dollars pro-rated for an entire week's worth of splurging on the unlimited everything max 3-G coverage plan that will mate up right well with the 3-G Moto G phone).

Hey Art, really, I don't have to know how to make it work -- Republic builds it right into the guts of the special phones so you don't HAVE to understand how it works.   It just does, and it switches off automatically between wifi and cellular depending on where you are and which signal is coming through better.

But is sounds like Republic Wireless was made for you, buddy.

https://republicwireless.com/info/phones/moto-g-1st-gen/

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 12/23/14 at 20:04:12

Google owned Motorola during the period of time when the Moto G was being developed and built.   This means it was Googlicious (packed with modern features and power and then sold at a very low price).

Let young skinny tech chick Erica tell you about it -- she does such a good job.

Just click on the link and Erica will take over and give you the whole spiel on the Moto G, including all the water resistance tests.

Cheesy

just click on it, worth your time, really         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeJdCl7HO2g

FAIR WARNING:   The Moto G is not hot greasy spicy oriental dim sum soup proof -- Erica finally did kill hers with some hot greasy salty spicy Japanese type soup in a later review.    

Another reviewer dude had to run over his with a Volkswagen bug (after the 30 minute water soak testing) to force the water into the guts deep enough to temporarily kill his Moto G.  

(but when he dried it back out over his heat vent at home it came back to life, unaffected except for the tire prints on the plastic rear cover)

Wink       tough arsed, durable, quick phones, the original Moto G

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 12/23/14 at 20:31:51

I got the first gen Moto X for my first 'smart' phone.
Love it.  With the Google design and minimalist Android OS, it does things no other phone does.
New version is a little bigger.  One reason I liked the phone was it's small size but I think I would appreciate the bigger screen now.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 12/23/14 at 21:31:43

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/23/14 at 20:04:12:

Google owned Motorola during the period of time when the Moto G was being developed and built.   This means it was Googlicious (packed with modern features and power and then sold at a very low price).

Let young skinny tech chick Erica tell you about it -- she does such a good job.

Just click on the link and Erica will take over and give you the whole spiel on the Moto G, including all the water resistance tests.

Cheesy

just click on it, worth your time, really         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeJdCl7HO2g

FAIR WARNING:   The Moto G is not hot greasy spicy oriental dim sum soup proof -- Erica finally did kill hers with some hot greasy salty spicy Japanese type soup in a later review.    

Another reviewer dude had to run over his with a Volkswagen bug (after the 30 minute water soak testing) to force the water into the guts deep enough to temporarily kill his Moto G.  

(but when he dried it back out over his heat vent at home it came back to life, unaffected except for the tire prints on the plastic rear cover)

Wink       tough arsed, durable, quick phones, the original Moto G

I stand corrected, didn't know wifi allowed calling, when I tried to sign up with that other internet phone thing (that goes through your PC) it said I didn't have enough 'puter to use it, who knew a cell phone had that much capacity?
Still, before we opened the wifi, your phone would likely not have worked in my store, cell service is terrible
I'll have to look up the price of a hat, locally (not going to cheat by using the $3 baseball cap you can buy at walmart)

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 12/24/14 at 09:38:46

Save the cost of that hat and apply it towards your next phone -- I enjoy the hunting and searching as it gives me something to do.   And I don't wear hats, I am a toboggan sort of guy.

But you gotta admit, $179 for a phone and a plan that ranges from $10 up to $25 a month will save a lot of us Hundreds of Dollars a year compared to what we are doing now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 12/24/14 at 09:53:38

My brother and I used to do "internet chat night" on Saturday evenings.. we would use yahoo chat and video conference.
After about a year it got kinda old.... but with todays smart phone tech. you can Skype using Wi-Fi....
If the phone automatically uses any open Wi-Fi for free calling... that would be awesome, you would just have to find the "open" router to make those long distance calls... which are becoming a thing of the past with all the companies now.
In a big city I could see an advantage of this technology, as most places offer "free Wi-Fi", but in the rural area's it would be kinda useless.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 12/24/14 at 21:38:20

And I am sorta rural, though I don't phone much
These days I want my phone to work anywhere, or close to it, in case I break down or crash on one of my longer rides
my Galaxy S3 was $279, and it's about new, so it'll be a while before i replace it, though I like the MotoGs toughness, and my $45 unlimited everything (including long distance, but not out of country) still seems like a decent cost to me for what I get, so I'm still pretty happy

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 12/24/14 at 21:49:45

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/24/14 at 09:38:46:

Save the cost of that hat and apply it towards your next phone -- I enjoy the hunting and searching as it gives me something to do.   And I don't wear hats, I am a toboggan sort of guy.

But you gotta admit, $179 for a phone and a plan that ranges from $10 up to $25 a month will save a lot of us Hundreds of Dollars a year compared to what we are doing now.

A bet's a bet, I was about to ask if you had Paypal or if I should mail the check: a decent hat seems to run around $60+ these days, that'd pay your phone bill for the year or more lol
But I guess it ain't welshing if you let me off like that

(i have a boonine hat I get pretty fond of during the hotter summer months, myself)

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 12/25/14 at 07:28:12

It was never a bet since I already knew the answer, since because of that knowledge there was no element of chance or risk -- I would have to think that would actually be closer to the definition of a con job than a bet and I wouldn't do that.

Plus, until I've actually gone and done it, it is all theory.

Besides, instead of a $180 phone I want to find a way to get a HUNDRED dollar phone to go along with my $10 phone plan.

And I think I may be able to do that.    When the new Moto G comes out at Republic a whole lot of the immortal little original Moto G's will hit Swappit for lower and lower ever cheaper dollars.   A new battery would cost $16 if one winds up being needed.

=======================================

Any good plan requires a point of commitment.  

$4 isn't much of a commitment, but it is a start.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 12/27/14 at 05:45:39

As often happens in tech, while you are researching a path to get to your goal, somebody just goes and puts a product on the market that EXCEEDS your goal.

I was looking at a MOTO G 4.5 inch screen unit but was getting stopped by the lack of SD expansion and the relative rarity of a Moto G that had enough memory and 4G LTE capability (chasing down the T-Mobil track with the family plan thing).

Then BLU drops these little puppies into the mixture .... built to be "bring your own phone" to the T-Mobile plan, sold by Amazon and Walmart, not hard to come by at all.

Sorta blows up my $180 phone search, don't it?    Yeah, $114 sorta does that, doesn't it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P06A7Z2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&cr...

FURTHERMORE, I was background searching a bigger Moto X type phone and BLU just dropped one of those at $100 less money .....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QKVEUFO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&cr...

So, my $180 search now is fulfilled by a $114 phone and now has a $199 alternative that is a 5" screen bigger high spec'd phone  that is one size bigger screen and has most of the feature pack of a Moto X phone.

Danger with BLU is that it is a Florida based US import firm that imports "name branded" Chinese throw away phones and does not upgrade them at all for software or anything else.   Nor do they really honor their warranty, just reading user comments on Amazon.

So, BLU is "throwaway quality" and mediocre durability.    They contract for a big batch of name branded phones, sell them all out then go on to the next new item.    

Quality varies on a per phone basis.  Once an item gets replaced by something new, it goes to Woot and Ebay for a sell off before the batteries get stale .....

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:13:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Quest for the $180 smart phone

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.