Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Performance comparison of S40 (Read 581 times)
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Performance comparison of S40
12/22/14 at 16:42:56

I was recently looking for a new bike for my son and thought that the Suzuki s40 would be a perfect bike.  We went to the dealership and he ended up wanting a Yamaha V-Star 650 instead.  Probably an OK bike but 200 pounds heavier than the S40 and I felt it was too heavy for a first bike.  He told my son the S40 was not fast enough on the highway.  I found that pretty hard to believe, when I started driving bikes a 650 was considered a pretty big bike.

Anyway after sitting on the S40 I decided to buy one after Christmas as I really like the bike.  Has anyone here owned a XT500 or a Triumph 500?

I was wondering how the Suzuki compares with those bikes as I owned
them before and found them quite adaquate on the highway.

Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Performance comparison of S40
Reply #1 - 12/22/14 at 17:05:57

In stock form, the s40 is a good beginner bike.!.
Light and nimble in the right hands.
one of everything so it's easy to maintain.
lightly tuned (jets, muff) and you can go uphill accelerating to 85.
throw on a performance carb and you'll do 95 up that same hill.
1st is said to be a tad low, but you'll blow anything else off the line.

I haven't ridden those other bikes, so I can't compare.

WWW   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/22/14 at 17:32:19

Flint,

The Yamaha V-Star 650 twins are very popular and have great resale value. I owned one about 3 years ago and was able to sell it on Craig's List a year later for $350.00 more than I paid for it.

I found the V-Star too heavy for the amount of horsepower that it had and it was especially difficult to back up. If you must have a V Twin get a Honda that is liquid cooled and over all a better machine then the V-Star. The V-Star has a terrible clutch for a beginning rider.

That being said, and me being at least a half of a century older than your son, I have trouble on the highway keeping it under 70 MPH. I am still breaking in the S40 so I am intentionally trying to keep the RPMs down.

Other than lowering the handlebar risers, and jacking up the seat, and drilling out the infamous brass plug in the carburetor my S40 is stock. I find the handling to be excellent at low speeds and absolutely rock steady at highway speeds.

The S40 is a great bike for a beginner because of it's light weight and easy handling characteristics. When your son moves on to something with more horsepower you will probably keep the S40 for yourself. LOL  Smiley

Kenny G

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #3 - 12/22/14 at 17:35:21

Thanks for the reply verslagen.  I remember when they first came out with the Savage and at the time I thought they were a pretty cool looking bike.  I like the idea of a thumper and the uncluttered look the bikes have.

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #4 - 12/22/14 at 17:40:47

Kenny G wrote on 12/22/14 at 17:32:19:
Flint,

The Yamaha V-Star 650 twins are very popular and have great resale value. I owned one about 3 years ago and was able to sell it on Craig's List a year later for $350.00 more than I paid for it.

I found the V-Star too heavy for the amount of horsepower that it had and it was especially difficult to back up. If you must have a V Twin get a Honda that is liquid cooled and over all a better machine then the V-Star. The V-Star has a terrible clutch for a beginning rider.

That being said, and me being at least a half of a century older than your son, I have trouble on the highway keeping it under 70 MPH. I am still breaking in the S40 so I am intentionally trying to keep the RPMs down.

Other than lowering the handlebar risers, and jacking up the seat, and drilling out the infamous brass plug in the carburetor my S40 is stock. I find the handling to be excellent at low speeds and absolutely rock steady at highway speeds.

The S40 is a great bike for a beginner because of it's light weight and easy handling characteristics. When your son moves on to something with more horsepower you will probably keep the S40 for yourself. LOL  Smiley

Kenny G

Hi Kenny,
After looking over the S40 and sitting on it I decided to buy one for myself after the Christmas holidays.   Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/22/14 at 19:53:33

I rode with a guy who thought his v star was cool. He told me so,every time I slowed down enough for him to catch up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #6 - 12/22/14 at 20:08:52

Flint,

A very wise decision.

Only one problem, what are you going to do when the kid wants to ride it?

Justin,

You are a real gentleman, slowing down for the cool guys to catch up. LOL  Smiley

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 12/22/14 at 20:16:56

My momma taught me to be considerate. I was smiling as I considered how small he was in the mirror.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #8 - 12/22/14 at 20:18:11

I am going to let him take my XT250 to do his motorcycle course with.  He ended up not getting any bike.  His older brother has an Army surplus Kawasaki 250 he can borrow as well

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 12/22/14 at 21:03:42

v star you got to remove the exhaust to replace the oil filter???

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 12/22/14 at 21:15:48

How old are you Flint? I brought an S40 new some four years ago. I'm 65 and have loved every dry minute I've spent on it, I have a somewhat different attitude to wet minutes. An unofficial survey run on this site showed the bulk of Savage/S40 riders to be 40 to 74 year old males, there seems to be a good few ladies but they're probably a minority. As others have pointed out, these bikes are nimble and quick enough for those who don't demand 90 mph continuous performance. The stock rear tyres are a minor short coming, but you will be replacing the rear at 5 to 6 thousand miles anyway. Ive made only one three thousand odd mile trip and my bike kept comfortable pace with everyone else in the group, and everyone else had bigger more powerful bikes, ok we were only travelling in the 60 to 70 range most of the time. We did 75 occasionally and three of us , two on flash and much more expensive, larger Triumphs hit 80 or so one day, grossly illegal where I live. Critcsism  they are a butt riveter on a long haul, but the short fuel range allows you to stretch your legs. Opinion on what you people call super slab performance is divided. We only have two to five lane blacktop so I can't comment. You will enjoy this machine and it's not compulsory to bob, chop, rat,brat or do anything else. The beautiful chrome head covers  look sexy in the minds of many and are an enhancement to middle aged to elderly fantasies.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 12/22/14 at 22:03:37

My number mostest riding buddy is a V-Star nut...
He's owned close to 50 of them... Grin...
Every new bike,... we ride out to Pistol Hill and do a quasi drag race...
I hold back up to 60 or 70,... then we even out... at top speed he will have a couple mph advantage... that's about it...
Some go a little faster, some don't...

A Savage seems to be a perfect first bike, and a perfect last bike...
Our members tend to be young, or old...
The in between, is the what-if, experimental phase...
All the other bikes have more or less, and better or worse,...
...and the Savage doesn't...
Huh...

Works so well for those willing to try it... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/23/14 at 04:53:50

I have no idea how accurate this information is - but I found this chart that has information on a lot of bikes:
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/200801perfindex.pdf

It shows the following:              LS650              V-Star
HP                                          24.6                  33.4
Torque                                    30.5                  35.4
O-60                                      6.98                  7.82
1/4 time                                15.30                 15.82
1/4 speed                              81.1                   82.1
Weight                                  390                    535
pounds per hp                      15.85                 16.02

The chart shows the single is faster off the line - but the twin gains a bit of speed advantage at the end of the quarter mile (although the twin is still half a second behind the single).  The twin is 37% heavier than the single.....and the chart really can't give you an idea how much more nimble the Savage is than the V-Star.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #13 - 12/23/14 at 06:37:19

I turned 60 and retired last summer.  I have been riding since I was 14, and have had quite a few different bikes.  I started out with an old 1942 Indian army Chief that I only managed to get running a few times.  Then a Honda CB 350, Norton/Matchless scrambler P-11, 2 Ironhead Sportsters, a Harley dirtbike, a Triumph 500 an XT500 and right now a XT250.

I put 10k on the little XT250 last summer.  Great bike as long as you don't have to go much over 60 mph.

Once I sat on the S40 I thought this would be the perfect bike for highway trips for me.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #14 - 12/23/14 at 06:38:37

Flint,

I Rest My Case!

Dave,

Thank You!
As a wise man once said, "The Proof Is In The Pudding".

Kenny G  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:33:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Performance comparison of S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.