Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Performance comparison of S40 (Read 581 times)
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Re: Performance comparison of S40
Reply #30 - 12/30/14 at 10:19:32

Flint - I wanted a city/backroad bike(for occasional jaunts on the highway). However, in my perception of things the S40 is only a great city/backroad bike. Some members of this forum speak of highway riding at 65-70 mph(or more). I feel like a windsail at such speeds getting shoved around like a rag doll(Annabelle don't come after me). If I had a windshield(I do have a National Cycle Flyscreen) things might be bearable. I want a kickstarter, too. I mentioned this once on this forum, and did not get a favorable response - like I was some dinosaur. To each his own(or her).

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #31 - 12/30/14 at 15:59:48

With the decompression lever installed the S40 would be a snap to kick start.  I had a Norton/Matchless P-11 years ago that I hopped up with Dunstall pistons, Dunstall cam ect.  The bike didn't even come with a key, just a mag kill button.  The dreaded Lucas mag no less. No battery or turn signals.

If you didn't follow the right sequence trying to start the beast when hot it would kick so hard it would almost sprain your ankle Undecided

No fancy decompression lever in those days Smiley

Cool bike, another one I let go. Undecided

IP Logged
fishinjim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 12/30/14 at 16:11:35

Here is the opinion of a 71 yo on the Savage. I love the weight and the fact that it is a thumper. I have wanted a large single since I was in high School riding a Cushman Eagle. The big boys had 500 cc Matchless or AJS. I have owned many rides since 1959. The truth is, side winds will eat you alive on the s40, At 70 mph, it is not comfortable to me. I think it needs one more gear to ride the freeways. I have tried both seats, the one that came on the 2003, and the newer 1 piece, and neither one are comfortable to me. I am 5'8" to give you an idea.  I mostly run the crooked 2 lane back roads at somewhere around 45 to 50 mph, and consider myself lucky when I  can make 50 miles on a ride with my bad back. I do like the bike even with all the short comings. It would climb a wall if not for the traction issue, and I can honestly say I have only had more fun on 1 bike. That was a TS 185 Suzuki, and they haven't built that one in 40 years. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #33 - 12/30/14 at 16:28:34

Hi Jim,  

You got me beat by 10 years!  The old Matchless bikes were the super bikes in their day.  My Dad was a Cycle Dispatch Rider in the Canadian Army.  His favourite was the Matchless.  

He rode Harleys and Indians as well but the only thing that would get through the mud in Italy was the Matchless.   Eventually they got rid of the bikes all together once the Americans started making the Jeep!

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #34 - 12/30/14 at 16:41:48

Dave wrote on 12/30/14 at 07:29:22:
smokin_blue wrote on 12/27/14 at 07:24:14:
Steve H,  If you ever get serious about that question let me know.  I have one of each sitting in the garage.  I could eyeball it with a tape measure for you.

I think you two are talking about different "Tempter" models.  The US got a GR650 model in 1983 & 1984 that was a parallel twin.  The Tempter model that looks like the LS650 is a 400 single that has never been sold in the US.

Yes you are probably on to something!  When I saw Tempter 650's I assumed we were talking about the GR650 as I always thought the non US Tempters (singles) were 400's as you stated.

Oh well... the GR is another under appreciated model that has its loyal following.

The one cool little known fact on the GR is that it has a clutch on the fly wheel.  It holds an added mass locked in for low speed smoothness but then above 3,000 rpm the aux clutch unlocks the weight for a low mass flywheel that revs faster then.  High weight for slow speed smoothness and low mass at higher revs for faster revving. Best of both worlds!!!

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 12/30/14 at 19:55:55

Kicking off a bike is dandy.. but. Retro fitting on this has been studied. So far,no one has been able to figure out how.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #36 - 12/31/14 at 00:22:22

Flint - most(you would think all) of us would like a 6th gear on this bike - to which fishinjim alluded. Suzuki must not have felt it to be cost-effective. However, if they were going with 5 you would think that the gear spacing would be more. To me :  1st gear, and between 1st and 2nd is inadequate. Between 2nd and 3rd, and 3rd and 4th is fine. Between 4th and 5th once again seems insufficient. Suzuki must have their reasons for doing it this way.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #37 - 12/31/14 at 00:48:34

Suzuki is looking at cost, from their perspective the Savage/S40 is an entry level loss leader. They want you to graduate to a more sophisticated Boulevard asap. Pity, and just as well, they don't seem to realise that the bike has a lot of following as a project platform or simply as a very pleasant stock ride for 45 to 75 year olds, unless you want 90 mph all day performance. Some of the techies and project people here will help you almost achieve 90 mph + performance if you want it. Don't know if it will last all day at that pace.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #38 - 12/31/14 at 06:52:57

Quote:
Suzuki is looking at cost, from their perspective the Savage/S40 is an entry level loss leader. They want you to graduate to a more sophisticated Boulevard asap.

Exactly. That's why they have never bothered to address the cam chain adjuster issue. They don't expect anyone to keep the bike long enough or put enough miles on it, for that to become a problem for the original owner.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #39 - 12/31/14 at 10:14:41

One day,the weather was juuust right, I was on I20, a cement section, smooooth,,and I know it made the 100 MPH mark.. never again did it break 95, but, even if it Could run 75 or 80 all day, I can't.
No bike or car does it all. You can't get a family hauling sports car, or a limo you can whip through traffic with. So,the Savage has things it does well and things that aren't its strong suit. For me, runs into and through town were the normal task at hand,, and it does that beautifully. It CAN be ooozed across the country, we've seen it done. BeatDuck,wasn't it? Florida, to Nevada, to,Canada, to New York,to Florida.. I would rather compromise on the Long Ride capability,because it's the rare ride for me,and have the Quick blast into town on a bike with good acceleration and just good enough handling to keep me from pushing the envelope to the emergency room.
It's the only bike I rode a lot I didn't crash.. I dropped it, but that is different.. I picked it up and rode away, no ambulance,no wrecker.oh,but I did have to pull my foot back,because the peg was hurting my ankle, and mashing the foot,leaned into a right turn.. it's a good enough design to allow a rider to improve their skills without them accidentally hitting a power band in a corner and highsiding into a ditch. It's light enough for aging bodies and I had women LOOK at it,,women whose MAN had a Harley and HE was going to have Her on one too... I saw faces that looked like
Boy,that looks easy to ride....wish I had something like THAT, so I could ride and not always feel like I have more machine than I can Really handle. Or, maybe they thought
What a wuss, I'm riding a bigger bike than that guy...

In the FWIW department, I've forever claimed to be 5'6"... But,after realizing that I have been hugging people who say they are 5'7"AND I'm really reaching up,,I decided to check it out.. So,pencil in hand, marked the door frame,, best I can tell,I'm a little over 5'4and1/2,, and about 140 pounds, so,the bike suits me well.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #40 - 12/31/14 at 11:19:17

Wow - JOG   140lbs    I have you by more than 100lbs    With a modified engine you must feel the "rush" that I haven't felt since my modified XT500(when I was 185-190lbs).    My New Years resolution is to lose weight and modify my bike(still stock other than the brass plug removal).        

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 12/31/14 at 15:39:39

With me on it,it was quick. I have no problem with the right wrist and changing gears without the clutch. Zero to 60 times were very good.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #42 - 01/01/15 at 18:21:37

my .02
even with a small windscreen i find 70 MPH on most any bike uncomfortable over distance, especially on the 'slab' though on a nice twisty road for some reason I don't seem to notice wind blast / vibration as much That includes my XS1100
but I'll ride literally for hours at 45 or so even with no screen comfortably
that makes the S40 a good fit unless I'm in a hurry to get somewhere, in which case I can make better time in the truck, and not be tired from fighting wind and engine noise / vibration
I ride for enjoyment

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:31:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Performance comparison of S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.