Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Performance comparison of S40 (Read 581 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Performance comparison of S40
Reply #15 - 12/23/14 at 07:40:07

Looks like that was a stock savage.
Here's what a little tuning will do...

diamond jim wrote on 06/08/09 at 15:32:46:
Charon wrote on 06/03/09 at 06:19:07:
I rather wonder why the "stock" curve cuts off sooner than the "Supertrapp" curve. Looks to me like the "stock" curve may have still been climbing. The very sharp drop at the top looks to me like a throttle chop, although it could have been a rev limiter. If it's the rev limiter, why is it different between the curves?

Don't think it was a rev limiter.  My guess is that the stock exhaust reached it's max flow, the operator felt the effects, saw that the bike reached it's limit and let off the throttle.  I've hit that limit before when experimenting with different baffles and to a lesser extent different intakes.  BTW, now I know for sure what 6K+ rpms on this motor sounds like.  I can say with certainty that I've never hit 6500 rpms with my motor.  Truly sounds like she's gonna blow up!

Here's mine:

Quote:
Max HP: 33.19
Max Torque: 36.40 ft lbs
Temp: 87 F

Setup:
55 pilot (no bleed holes)
1 washer
155 main

A stock bike seems to dyno about 28-29HP. The LS650 with Sportster muffler and 1/2 spacer ran 29.8 HP.   The Supertrapp guy said peak 28 with stock muffler then his Supertrapp tested similar to my bike HP wise with 32-33 (no torque curve or numbers though) with air temperature of 22 degrees cooler than my run today.  Don't know if that makes a bit of difference though.

http://www.thumperpage.com/articles/ls650exh.html

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 12/23/14 at 10:17:47

For getting across town or whoopin thru twisties, it's a fun and very effective and forgiving bike. I didn't enjoy the 40 mile straight shot runs,they were boring. The bike didn't like it at speeds that weren't boring..
I'd have another one, in a heartbeat. I would not even have a heavier,slower twin because it does the slab better.. the Savage does everything else much better,and ,everything else is what I usually do.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #17 - 12/24/14 at 09:06:26

thumperclone wrote on 12/22/14 at 21:03:42:
v star you got to remove the exhaust to replace the oil filter???

You only have to do that on the V Star 1100. I never could understand why the 1100 was the only V Star that required the exhaust to be removed to change the filter.

As far as the S40 vs the V Star 650, I'll choose the S40 every time.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #18 - 12/24/14 at 09:42:53

Flint, the age old question is "what type of riding will he need it for?"

Long trips?  Water cooled six speed
Combination of Long trips and town... dual sports work best..
Just in town and few trips.... S40 (650 savage)...

And that is the cruiser side... there are sport bikes that can do the same...

If he is a first time rider.... don't go big.... go used and small.. (for the first riding season), you can always resell and go bigger next season.

I have a LS 650 and a small 300 ninja.... love them both....  if he wants speed... tell him to wait....
He can bob or café the S40 with a few extra bucks.... if he wants a sporty looking bike, look at the smaller sport bikes, I talk up my 300 ninja because its fuel injected, water cooled and gets on the average of 65+ mpg (if I don't slam the throttle at every light) with a 4.5 gal tank.

If he didn't get one right off the bat, means he is smart about his choices.... and your choice of the S40 as a "get back on it" bike... is good too... LOL...

Good luck in your endeavors  Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #19 - 12/24/14 at 10:16:37

Actually a 250 Ninja was one of the bikes I suggested to him along with the CBR 250.  For some reason he was hung up on a cruiser style bike and the salesman convinced him a S40 was too small.

He will be driving my XT250 once the snow is gone.  Once he gets handy with that I will let him try the S40 I am planning on getting.  Most of his driving will be city with some highway once he gets his own bike.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #20 - 12/24/14 at 12:20:06

With all the interest in this bike, and its staying power over 20 years, it is really unfortunate that no one at Suzuki has any imagination or 'smarts'. We could all be riding 'Tempter 650's and having a great time:  https://www.google.ca/search?q=tempter+400&biw=1920&bih=858&source=lnms&tbm=i...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
just look at that gorgeous tank!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 12/24/14 at 21:35:11

I would buy one as soon as funds allowed

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 12/25/14 at 00:29:27

Hmmm,Tempter,  Good Name..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #23 - 12/26/14 at 13:14:42

Flint, if you thought the XT500 was adequate on the highway, the Savage will certainly meet your needs.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #24 - 12/27/14 at 05:48:33

Wonder if the 650 engine would drop in the Tempter frame?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #25 - 12/27/14 at 07:24:14

Steve H,  If you ever get serious about that question let me know.  I have one of each sitting in the garage.  I could eyeball it with a tape measure for you.

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #26 - 12/27/14 at 07:31:42

My wife has a relatively stock S-40 and I rode home a 2009 or 2010 V-Star 650 for a friend of hers when she first bought it used from a local dealer.  For me I would say it is no comparison.  The S-40 would bury the V-star off the line and around town.  I came home telling my wife that extra 150 lbs the V-star had (she had the bags and fairing etc) made it so it would barely get out of it's own way in town.  I can't speak to how it would be on the highway as I didn't get over 45 mph.  My guess is the V-star would be a little smoother maybe on the supper slab but for a beginner based on weight and usable torque the S-40 is the way to go.

My wife put 6500 miles on her S-40 last year with most all being highway miles.  Standard ride for her was 85-125 miles and the longest we did which was together was 245.  Most riding was at 55-60mph with max at about 65-70.  Not much pushing the 70-75.  She just doesn't ride on the superslab, most all is highway or county roads.

WWW   IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #27 - 12/30/14 at 06:52:47

Flint - I had an XT500(77 model) back in the day(1981-82). It was originally stock, and comparable in performance to a stock S40. In the off-season it was modified(White Brothers piston/cam/carb/exhaust) and turned into a screamer. After my 30-year hiatus I wanted another "enduro". The Suzuki DR650 would've been the one. Excessive seat height was the deal breaker. At 5'8"(29" inseam) I didn't want to carry a stepladder with me). I like the feel of a dirt bike on the street(not very much for highway riding, however).  My choice was made for me when two 2011 S40's went on clearance in August 2012 for $3,999. Wouldn't it be nice if we could test ride new motorcycles before purchasing ?

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #28 - 12/30/14 at 07:25:02

Hi Doug,

My XT500 was stock.  I shaved the seat down, dropped the forks a bit in the triple tree and backed the shocks off to the lowest setting to get it a bit lower.  I am the same height as you.  I dropped one tooth in the front sprocket on the XT500 for in the dirt and the machine would wheelie without trying.

I looked at the DR650 last year and found the same problem regarding seat height and ended up buying an XT250 instead.  The 250 is a great little bike but does not like to go over 60.  It will hit 75 with no wind but the little motor is screaming.

Now I want a light little highway/backroad bike and the S40 looks perfect for me.  I do wish they had a kick start on the S40 though, it seems every bike is electric start now for some reason.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 12/30/14 at 07:29:22

smokin_blue wrote on 12/27/14 at 07:24:14:
Steve H,  If you ever get serious about that question let me know.  I have one of each sitting in the garage.  I could eyeball it with a tape measure for you.

I think you two are talking about different "Tempter" models.  The US got a GR650 model in 1983 & 1984 that was a parallel twin.  The Tempter model that looks like the LS650 is a 400 single that has never been sold in the US.

1997ST400-1.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:24:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Performance comparison of S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.