MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Warranty
12/15/14 at 09:34:55

Quote:
I am going to wait until I have a few more miles on the S40 before I do anything that the dealership can find to void the warranty.

Because Dealers, (not just MC dealers) have lied to their customers so many times.  It seems that the majority of people, 'think', that if you touch one tiny little part on something, it voids the entire warranty.

It does NOT !

Taking off the Badges on the side of the tank, does NOT void the warranty on a oil leak. Taking off the chrome engine covers, does NOT void the warranty on a bad wheel. Putting on a windscreen, does NOT void a warranty on a kick stand switch. (You get the point)

On the other hand, taking out the, 'brass plug' from the carb. And if you wish to warranty the carb. Of you put in a modified cam chain tightener, and wish to warranty the cam chain. Now you will be having a discussion. You may win, you may not. Depends on if that dealer want's you as a Customer or not.

But you go in with a warranty issue, and the dealer says: "Oh I see you painted the side covers a different color, that means we will not replace your leaking petcock, because you voided the warranty".

Is entirely Bravo Serra !   So don't just agree, and walk away !
Tell them, they, WILL, warranty the item.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Warranty
Reply #1 - 12/15/14 at 09:53:21

I agree....changing a petcock should not be an issue if you have some unrelated mechanical issue.  Go talk with them beforehand and see what they have to say.

My spoiled rich nephew had a V-6 Camaro with only 1,200 mile on it, and installed a twin turbo kit from some aftermarket company.  You can betcha that voided the warranty on any engine or drive train related issue!  Would the factory provide warranty replacement on a cup holder?  Maybe.  Their family is a really good customer to that dealer and they sell them a lot of new cars - so even if the factory didn't warranty it....the dealer might do it for them to keep a happy customer.

It all really comes down to the relationship you have with the dealer, and if the warranty issue is a real one that is product failure - or was caused by accidental damage or abuse.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/16/14 at 15:18:52

Worked at a Ford dealership. Car came in, Ragged OUT, "Drive 95 and Freeze Them Alive" bumper sticker in the window, bald right rear tire from burning out,, drive train issues, obvious neglect and abuse,, Warranty Voided.. Common sense, mods made not related to warranty issues,, fight and win,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 12/16/14 at 16:08:39

TECHNICALLY, if you bring in a vehicle to have a stock, unmodified part fixed or replaced then they should do it under warranty unless you've done something to cause the part to fail. A muffler leak is completely unrelated to aftermarket turn signals. However, a lot of places will try to void ANY warranty if you've modified anything at all. Stand up for your rights as a consumer!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 12/17/14 at 05:18:12

Yup also nice that they passed that federal law years ago allowing owners of motor vehicles to do their own maintenance and as long as it is properly documented it can't void your warranty.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #5 - 12/17/14 at 11:24:56

Cars, and electronic devices, because cars are getting more and more e-gadgets every year, are getting worse and worse on warranties.

Look at Apple. Buy an iPhone, jailbreak it so you can add the apps you, the consumer, want installed, and now Big Fruit says they can't help you with any support. It has nothing to do with the apps causing problems (they ran fine) it was because the guy who wrote it didn't want to turn over all rights to HIS app to Big Fruit. So his programs are blacklisted.

Where Big fruit nails you is when the send out an upgrade. Add this, and your jailbreak goes bye-bye, and all the blacklisted apps get removed, courtesy of Big Fruit, because we know better.

I will die before I spend another dollar on that companies products.

Cars today are getting almost as bad, more so if you live in a state with "smog testing" as part of your yearly inspection, like NY. Cars can be mechanically perfect, ready to run a race even, but if the computer decides your gas cap isn't on tight enough (no joke, it's one of the fails in this state) then you're not getting a new inspection sticker. I've heard from several people in the auto business that the manufacturers are trying to get cars to the point where no one but them can work on them. They want you to pop the hood and you find a sticker that proclaims "NUSPI" - No User Servicable Parts Inside.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
TrevorKlein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/17/14 at 12:54:56

so like is the warranty already over? really did not get you

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 12/17/14 at 13:27:53

If the warranty was Already over, there would BE no reason to wait to make changes, because there would be no Warranty they could VOID due TO those mods.. Context,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TrevorKlein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/18/14 at 11:22:23

So justin what I got is that like if the warranty is over then yeah he can do whatever he wants to do as it would not void the warranty as it is already over as you are saying

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 12/18/14 at 19:31:46

Warranties are fickle things according to a friend in the business.

Some times all it takes is for the customer to come in all red in the face cursing the dealer and all those inside for the warranty to be "voided".

And another way... the person bringing in the vehicle "knows what is wrong" or "knows more about this vehicle than any mechanic", boom, sorry but the "limited warranty" does not cover this....

READ the warranties on anything you ARE GOING TO BUY, before you purchase said item, yeah they are long and lawyers write them, but you have to 'understand' them before you purchase, because when you sign that line, you are saying you fully understand the "warranty agreement".

If you work on an engine, or modify the engine, and your transmission fails... the engine is technically a part of the "drive train", so are any components "ON OR CONNECTED TO", the engine, "which affects its operation"... trust me, its in print, on the warranty, somewhere, on every vehicle's contract.... like I said, lawyers write these things.

Even if you just "add a cell phone charger", its draws current, from the electrical system, which is directly affecting the operation of the vehicle, and it was not an "option" originally for the vehicle, you could void the warranty.

I hate to be the dark horse, but if you are an ass, and are VERY demanding of a dealer, your problem is probably not going to be fixed if you have "modded" your vehicle in any way shape or form.

Now on the other side, if you talk to your dealers mechanics politely, and ask direct questions about a mod you want to put on the bike, you can circumvent the "warranty void". I always have had good relations with all the mechs and the parts counter guys. Some times I just stop in to browse new stuffs and look at next years bikes.

Get to know your dealers or the ones in the out lying areas.... I have never had a problem with any bike I took in, even though I heavily modify all of them with fuse boxes and outlets for charging, different seats, different suspensions and lighting.

And if worse comes to worse, you can always tell them "well hell, joe here told me it would not void my warranty!".... and joe will get the job of fixing your ride, covered under his warranty... LOL Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:33:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Warranty

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.