Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Permanent Removal of Head Covers (Read 324 times)
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Permanent Removal of Head Covers
Reply #15 - 02/01/15 at 23:01:47

Dave,

I think I understand the procedure for "Permanently Removing The Chrome Head Cover Caps". And your explanation of the spacer for the front bolt on the shifter side tells me what I have to do.

With the other 3 bolts do I just screw them back into the head, or head cover?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 02/02/15 at 03:41:11

stinger wrote on 12/15/14 at 07:22:20:
Begins to unwrap the chrome head cover caps I was mailing to you all as Xmas gifts.... Embarrassed

We are mailing all the unused covers to Serowbot.  He is going to use them to make a chrome Armadillo mailbox.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 02/02/15 at 03:42:33

Kenny G wrote on 02/01/15 at 23:01:47:
Dave,
With the other 3 bolts do I just screw them back into the head, or head cover? Kenny G

Just put the other 3 bolts in the box with the head cover caps, and mail it to Serowbot.  You don't need them as their only function is to hold the head cover caps in place.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 02/02/15 at 05:49:41

And,as for the long, upside down bolt, I don't see why running a nut down and cutting it off wouldn't work better..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 02/02/15 at 05:51:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/02/15 at 05:49:41:
And,as for the long, upside down bolt, I don't see why running a nut down and cutting it off wouldn't work better..

The long upside bolt doesn't have threads that run all the way down...you have to install a sleeve that covers up the un-threaded portion so the nut can be tightened down.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 02/02/15 at 06:12:11

WELL Dave,, that right there is reasonable...
Me, I'd wanna get the head off of the bolt, pull it, drop a shorter bolt in and get a nut on it,  If there is room with the chrome gizmo gone.. but the stack looks tacky to me.
You bring me that bike for a year and I would fix that for you... I would. Really.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 02/02/15 at 06:21:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/02/15 at 06:12:11:
Me, I'd wanna get the head off of the bolt, pull it, drop a shorter bolt in and get a nut on it,  If there is room with the chrome gizmo gone.. but the stack looks tacky to me.
You bring me that bike for a year and I would fix that for you... I would. Really.

(That photo I took from the Rubber Plug repair thread in the Tech Section....it is not my bike).

When I rebuilt mine and had the cylinder head off....I put in a threaded rod that was cut to the long length with a nut on the bottom that was "thread lockered" on real good!  That way I could remove the long stud and put in a shorter one later on when I removed the head covers.......the engine went back in with the stock head covers on as the Cafe' conversion was a year later.  My gas tank sits so low that you really can't see the long stud unless you get down to look it it.....but I will fix it this winter so it doesn't bother you.

I betcha you could fix this is less than a year.....if you stopped riding it for a few minutes! Grin  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 02/02/15 at 06:31:30

You're right, I'm busted,,  I would fix it the day you come to get it.
Please deliver it with fresh rubber on it...

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #23 - 02/02/15 at 06:46:49

Dave,

One final question and then I will leave you guys go back to arranging transportation for your bike to Justin 'O:

Is their any special torque requirement for tightening the remaining long bolt after removing the "Chrome Head Cover Caps"?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 02/02/15 at 06:54:05

Kenny G wrote on 02/02/15 at 06:46:49:
Is their any special torque requirement for tightening the remaining long bolt after removing the "Chrome Head Cover Caps"?

Kenny G

Just torque it to the same tension as the other 6mm head cover bolts....5.9 - 8.8 ft. lbs.  This is really just "snug" with a small 6mm hex end wrench.  Don't crank down on these bolts as they are small and easily stripped.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 02/02/15 at 06:58:27

Feel of it,don't strip it, if it leaks, give it a little bit more.
A healthy bolt and nut have a feel when they hit Max clamping force, PROVIDED you are holding the tools in a manner that Allows you to Feel it.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #26 - 02/02/15 at 07:10:20

Dave & Justin,

Thank You!

I never broke a bolt or stud or stripped the threads on a motorcycle until I bought my first torque wrench. LOL

Unless it is inside the engine, or transmission, I don't use a torque wrench, I just make fasteners "Good N' Tight. Or as Justin says I tighten by "Feel".    Shocked

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 02/02/15 at 07:22:13

When I got my bike...it was 3 years old but well taken care of.

When I changed the oil.....I had to use both hands on the wrench and wedge my foot against the frame to get the oil drain plug loose!  It was waaaay too tight....and unfortunately that is not all that uncommon.  A lot of folks tighten things more then they should.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #28 - 02/02/15 at 07:38:20

After I re-assemble anything on a motorcycle I go for a ride and come back to the house and go over all of the fasteners to check for "Tightness" and snug everything up again. I will check the fasteners again after the next ride and if I have to tighten anything again I will use Blue Loctite. If after the next ride I find anything that needs "Tightened" I will safety wire it.

The "Big Singles" that I rode back in the "Olden Times" vibrated everything loose, including spot welds. If you wanted to ride a "Big Single" you would become acquainted with "Safety Wire".

Kenny G

IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 02/02/15 at 11:31:32

When I removed my head cover caps, I replaced the vacated bolts (except the left front) and installed cleaner, better looking bolts in their places with lock washers. As for the left front, I have a hack saw blade holder and just sawed it off. A complete hack saw won't fit and a Dremel cutoff wheel is not long enough. I held the protruding top of the bolt with vise grips and sawed at the bottom of the bolt. When cut through, the bolt head slides out easily and the severed bolt just pulls straight out. Blow out the chips and go ride!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:28:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Permanent Removal of Head Covers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.