Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
timing advance (no, not time travel) (Read 55 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
timing advance (no, not time travel)
12/13/14 at 06:20:10

I'm still tinkering with my 1985 honda atc 70 3 wheeler and read that advancing the timing made it a little more peppy and stronger pulling. what exactly is advancing the timing and does it risk tearing up the engine because of firing out of factory spec? l have the new condensor and points to install and understand very generally how to read the flywheel tdc and firing marks to set it, just curious if i should fool with trying to advance the timing while i am in there?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: timing advance (no, not time travel)
Reply #1 - 12/13/14 at 06:39:35

You could try it... Advancing 4 to 8 degrees might give you a little boost...
... being that it's only 70cc,... you won't get much (maybe .25hp)...
... and with modern gas,... you might need to switch to premium to avoid knock. (not worth it)...
If you get any knock,... return to stock advance, as it will hurt the little feller....

You'll get more power without any harm, if you have an o-ring chain, by swapping to a non-o-ring... (I did this on a 225cc and the change was very noticeable)...
Adding 5lbs of air to the tires will feel zippier too...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 12/13/14 at 06:49:57

Advancing the timing too far can result in detonation (pinging), which can hurt your engine.

I don't know how applicable this is to motorcycles, but here is a trick we used to do with older cars with distributors to get an optimal spark timing without needing a timing light.

With the engine running, barely loosen the distributor (the points plate on a motorcycle) so that it can be moved, but will stay in place on its own. Increase the engine speed to a high rpm (to ensure the timing advance is fully advanced). Slowly advance the ignition timing by turning the distributor or points plate until the engine starts a high speed miss. Retard the timing until the missing stops. Go for a test ride. If the engine pings on acceleration, retard the timing until the pinging stops.

You may get a small performance increase, but it will be minimal. You probably won't notice it.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 12/13/14 at 23:53:48

thumper clone is a Chinese ct70 copy tho shes 86ccs its the same confab you have
yes you can advance the pick up off the mag
better to let her breathe
non restrictive air cleaner
free flowing exhaust
sprocket changes(1 in front = 3 in rear)
 go to dratv.com  
or search small Hondas
ive got a hot engine thall bolt right up but its really not worth it..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/14/14 at 06:50:45

These little Honda engines can run 40-50.....who knows how many years with no mechanical problems.  Just yesterday I rode the little 1966 Honda S65 up to the Sheriff's office to have it inspected as it was from out of state.

Why you wanna' screw around with that kind of reliability in search of a quarter horsepower?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/14/14 at 09:14:35

You want it quicker off th line? Smaller rear tires,, Instant horsepower..
Its a tiny little motor they designed to run for decades.. COULD you get away with it? Id say yes,, Id say that Because of the way they built them, you could get away with some hop up tuning, Timing, massaging the intake, read THat theory,, Understand an engine doesnt NEED a fancy exhaust to ditch spent air/fuel, the Piston will shove it out,, BUT, Intake flow is crucial and is Only the result of a low pressure pulse. The volume of the air between carb and filter needs to be at least the cylinders volume, larger is better, Of course, a well designed exhaust Helps, nicely, and sounds better, buit few ever consider intake Theory.

OR, you Could just get it running as well as they did Branbd New and see if the potential gain in performance is worth the effort and risk. You May decide that playing with the airflow Thru the engine is more fun and delivers better results at less risk to your toy..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 12/14/14 at 20:28:30

Thanks folks. not being an expert at messing with timing and the potential for some damage, sounds like I'll start with the new points and condenser, double check my intake connections and exhaust gasket (think its missing) and try to fine tune her from there. didn't realize how little the gain was and i may see what I'm looking for when i get it running smooth at stock.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 12/14/14 at 20:48:31

Yeah,start with getting it running like new... then think about it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:27:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › timing advance (no, not time travel)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.