Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do I have an ignition problem? (Read 60 times)
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Do I have an ignition problem?
12/12/14 at 14:34:28

1st off this question is regarding my 77 ironhead sportster. I have a 95 Suzuki savage that runs great but most people on the Harley fourms are useless. I've got a ton of helpful advice off this site so I figured I give it a shot.

My ironhead runs as if it is starving for fuel. It idles fine but acts as if it has a rev limiter that won't go beyond quarter throttle. No air leaks, fuel system is all good and has been ruled out. Plugs look wet. I've limited it down to a problem with the ignition but I have no dummy coil or foreign system to test before I spend $400. Also when I was spraying fuel to test for air leaks, I noticed it wanted to bog down and not rev up.  Just wondering if anyone else thinks the coils aren't putting out enough spark. It's got a s&s, hi-4 crane cams single fire, good compression.

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Do I have an ignition problem?
Reply #1 - 12/12/14 at 15:23:00

Has it ever run correctly?  Did this occur after some of the modifications you listed?  Did the issue come on gradually....or all at once?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 12/12/14 at 16:09:08

Is there an ignition advance unit that is not working?

IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #3 - 12/12/14 at 17:20:50

The problem came on gradually. The bike has been running great then I left it out in the rain. The next day I took it for a ride and it started to act funny but nothing major. After 20 minutes of riding it was clear something was wrong. I've checked all electrical connections, cleaned out the tank and filter. Went through the carb, new gas.

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #4 - 12/12/14 at 17:23:40

There is no ignition advance on the bike

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 12/12/14 at 18:07:52

If the plugs look wet then would it not be running rich? Does it smoke at idle or just off idle?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #6 - 12/12/14 at 20:36:02

Quote:
"I've limited it down to a problem with the ignition... "

How did you limit it down to a problem with the ignition ?
Your statement implies that you have tested and verified that all other functions
of the engine are operating correctly, such as fuel delivery, carburetion, air flow, compression, etc.
I'm not disputing your statement; just curious.  

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 12/13/14 at 07:14:54

I'd be hunting for the ground on the engine,, clean that too.
The slow progression onset makes me think ground.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 12/13/14 at 10:17:34

You said you were spraying fuel to look for leaks?  Dangerous.

But you said it bogged down while you were doing this.  You may have found a leak.  If spraying fuel, it would have sucked it in and became a richer mixture instead of temporarily sealing the leak. But, wet plugs usually mean flooded or sloppy rich.

Choke working correctly? If it's a remote choke, it is actually working at the carb connection point? No chance a jet or needle could have come loose?

Points good? Gapped correctly? Condenser good? since it's a 77 I am assuming points, could be wrong.

My brother had an old dirt bike once that did exactly as you describe everytime it rained.  Found out his pionts cover gasket was leaking. Fixed gasket, no more problem. If you could get it running and get it warmed up for a little while, the water evaporated and it ran ok.

Good luck with it.  Sometimes these little machines can pull some really strange stuff on us.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #9 - 12/13/14 at 11:48:30

Even if it's electronic ignition,you should have an advance on it.Underneath the points/ignition plate.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #10 - 12/13/14 at 11:51:40

It will look something like this.

590_large_image.jpg

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #11 - 12/13/14 at 16:28:52

I had to read up on what a crane cams Hi-4 was.  I'm assuming that this is the one you have:  http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/90004000b.pdf

Since I have no idea who installed it or if you've ever had this bike running properly, I'd start from the top.  Is the system installed correctly?  Are your trimpots and dip switches adjusted correctly?  Are you timed right?  All of these are good things for you to check yourself.

Here is another wrench in your gears:  Through reading this I see that you have a vacuum operated electronic switch that affects partial ignition during partial throttle conditions.  You might test that switch.

This is all my humble opinion.  I have no experience on HD ironheads, but I DID stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.  Wink

EDIT:  Since you have an aftermarket electronic ignition I would normally worry about the strength of your spark, but if you really want to test that you can pick up an inline spark tester at your local Pep-Reilly's-Zone for about $12.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 12/14/14 at 09:19:15

I would be very happy to offer help and advice, but,, I just dont know HOW to help.. Maybe if I was There, watching, lissnin, Id hit on something,, The Fresh Gas thing was a good idea, IMO,, Id probably wanna get it wound up and ;pull one plug wire,, Then try again, pull the other, see if it acts the same.

Insulated handle type tool,, right,, I didnt need to say that??

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:32:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Do I have an ignition problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.