Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help with soon-to-be computer purchase (Read 162 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Help with soon-to-be computer purchase
Reply #15 - 12/19/14 at 10:40:56

My new machine is windows 8.1 (forced into it, needed a new tower as the old one was too buggy and the battery is dying) and while I'm not all that computer literate, it seems to serv my needs well, though they could have included XL for spreadsheets (mmay have to learn google docs, it's free I think)

and yes, first thing I did after setup was download Chrome) Grin

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #16 - 12/23/14 at 08:56:21

Hey Kris.. just saw this. My 2 cents:

Dont fret over hard rive size. There are USB external hard drives that work fine for storing large amounts of data and you can keep them offline (for more privacy and safer storage) I have three spare hard drive that i keep in my gun safe. Another "issue" though not really, is that data stored on a Windows 7 root drive will often be accesible only as long as the OS isnt crashed. Lets say the PC, (bad chip or something) and you pull the hard drive out to get the data. Since the root drive is not working as the master OS, Windows will "protect" data on the old drive (it can be gotten.. its just a little more work), With an external drive, by default there is no security, and thus the data is easy to get to. ( which means to need to the drive secure physically).  

The ones you picked will do fine for all around stuff. The two AMD ones use APU ( verus CPU) the APU is both the CPU and the GPU ( graphics) function.  Upgrading ( which most people dont do anyways) would be a tad bit more complicated.

Newegg is BY FAR the best online retailer I have ever used and I have been using them since 1998.

1 Terabyte is a LOT of storage.  

I still like to build my own. Its not too hard and they can be upgraded very easily. My son is still using my old PC from 2003, and yes he runs the biggest games there are.

Good luck!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #17 - 12/23/14 at 15:24:33

Thanks Pine. So far no one has said any of my choices are bad. I'll probably wait at least a few months before I buy anything. Gotta catch up a little from Christmas!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #18 - 12/24/14 at 06:38:28

It's your patriotic duty to spend..help the economic recovery. Cheesy

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #19 - 12/24/14 at 10:15:44

Sometimes I feel like I've single-handedly boosted the economy! Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:25:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › Help with soon-to-be computer purchase

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.