Warning Sticker (Read 204 times)
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Warning Sticker
12/10/14 at 18:05:38

How do I safely remove the Warning Sicker from the gas tank without damaging the paint or setting the motorcycle on fire?

You can tell it has been a while since I had a new cycle. . . LOL

Kenny G

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Warning Sticker
Reply #1 - 12/10/14 at 18:57:51

On my 2006 I just warmed the sticker up with my wife's hair dryer and it peeled right off. Can't tell it was ever there. I took the "SUZUKI" sticker off the rear fender the same way. I remember reading on here that some bikes may have clear coat over the sticker, depending on the model year, but that wasn't the case with mine. If the sticker on your bike is clear-coated over I think just peeling it off may leave a mark.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #2 - 12/10/14 at 20:08:19

OldnSlow

I don't think the Warning Label is clear coated because I think I can feel the edge with the back of my thumbnail.

I am going to wait and see if someone else pipes in with a later model and see what they say.

Thanks for the hair dryer suggestion.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/10/14 at 21:07:08

Id expect it to melt away with a blast of a high note from a sax..
and if I was named Kenny G,, Id expect to be able to Blast it Offa there..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/11/14 at 03:44:54

Yep, the only sticker/decals on the Savage that are under the clear coat are the ones on the side of the tank.  All others can be taken off, and they come off much easier when the glue is warmed up.  A hair drier works well and you should warm it up with some patience....don't expect it to come off in 10 seconds.  The metal should be pretty warm to the touch.  Don't use a heat gun....they get hot enough to peel paint.  If the tank is full of fuel, you will never get it to warm up, so make sure the fuel level is low when you are trying to heat it up.  Sunshine would also work.....but where I live it is winter and it won't warm up enough until July!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 12/11/14 at 06:54:10

+1 on the hair dryer. Worked on my 2008. I started with the lower heat setting (some of the hair dryers these days are super hot) and worked up until it started peeling and didn't go any hotter. For some reason my sticker was stubborn and flaked in little pieces versus peeling off in big chunks, but you'll get a feel for it once it gets hot enough to start pulling away.  Just be careful not to use anything to pick and peel at the sticker that will scratch the paint. I just used my fingernail.

Once the sticker was all gone, I used 'goo gone' to remove the residue and then a little car wax/polish to shine it up and it looks perfect (I have a black tank so I had to be extra careful about scratches since they show so easy on black).

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #6 - 12/11/14 at 07:03:38

Thanks Guys,

It sounds easy enough to remove the Warning Label. I will have to wait until I use up some of the fuel and my wife goes shopping, so I have access to her hair dryer.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/11/14 at 07:19:17

Kenny G wrote on 12/11/14 at 07:03:38:
. I will have to wait until I use up some of the fuel and my wife goes shopping, so I have access to her hair dryer.

Next time you see a nice blow drier at a yard sale or cheap at the store...buy it and keep it in your toolbox.  They come in really handy for lots of things in the garage.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 12/11/14 at 07:44:07

I use a Harbor Freight heat gun. On low, not held close, you can warm it, test it, I'd want a damp rag handy and several sticker peeling options handy. I've noticed that a little slicing motion mixed in with the straight push yields good results, but getting a corner up and just carefully peeling is obviously the goal.
I have also used it to bend and shape PVC and it will darken plywood and melt paint, but, used with care, it will do the job AND you'll find other uses..
Heating a place that Needs epoxied, and the epoxy. I needed to paint on the generator, warmed up the metal and the paint, kept an eye on the paint,heating along the way,, it came out fine..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #9 - 12/11/14 at 14:44:46

Warning Sticker:
 I saw that thread and thought it was this:

Oh, it is the, ’tank one’.  
Just follow the good instructions listed here!

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #10 - 12/17/14 at 17:55:36

Having followed the instructions in the above posts I was able to remove the "Warning Sticker" successfully.

Removing the "Stickum" that was left on the tank after peeling the label off was the tough part. I used Turtle Wax Sticker Remover on a piece of a T-shirt and it eventually dissolved the adhesive.

I polished and waxed the tank and there is no evidence remaining of the sticker.

At some point I will try to remove the chrome Boulevard emblems on the sides of the tank.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/17/14 at 20:00:43

Id suggest waiting for a Hot Summer day and put the side youre ready to tackle in the most direct sunlight you can find.. a mirror on the ground aimed at it wont hurt,, Just HOT,, but dont let the paint get soft,, before you attack, test paint with a fingernail, not digging in, like backhanding it, only with just light pressure. See if the end of the nail leaves even the slightest mark,, if so,, let it cool some,, I doubt a hot sun and mirror would soften it, but, NOT fixin something is a lot easier...

I have no idea how hard/ easy it is.. I never tried,, I KNow about the stickers,, Uggg,,  the one on the belt guard was harder to do w/o leaving any sign Id been there,,

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #12 - 12/17/14 at 20:36:22

Justin,

Thanks for a good idea.

Knowing what the Texas sun is like in July, I think I will wait and do one on one afternoon and the next day turn the bike around and do the other side.

It is hard to beat that Texas sun for heating something up.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 12/17/14 at 20:41:58

Where are you?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/18/14 at 03:46:58

Kenny G wrote on 12/17/14 at 20:36:22:
It is hard to beat that Texas sun for heating something up.
Kenny G

And....have the tank as empty as possible - so you aren't trying to heat up the fuel inside.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 17:00:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Warning Sticker

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.