Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Newbie and looking to buy advice.. (Read 373 times)
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Newbie and looking to buy advice..
12/09/14 at 13:08:13

Howdy from Houston,

I'm happy to finally be a forum member because I've been lurking since summer when I decided to get a winter special.  I'll be commuting and wanted something simple and dependable and easy to work on a bit.  One cylinder, one carb seems easy enough for a little old guy.

Been watching for awhile, wondering about values, how to make sure I'm getting a good one.  Typical = Houston Craigslist; a 2001 Savage w/10K for $1800 OBO still listed for 2wks and a 2006 S40 w3.5K for $2400.    There are usually some more around, and Cycletrader has but prices are all higher.  

Advise appreciated, how much... what to look/listen/feel for.

Anyway, another Savage fan arriving.  Happy holidays.  I'll post a pic when I finally find the right one.

« Last Edit: 12/10/14 at 09:23:18 by Dave »  

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Newbie and looking to buy advise..
Reply #1 - 12/09/14 at 13:26:46

Welcome to Thumper Central.

Those prices seem reasonable for the years, mileage and something in good shape that doesn't need a lot of work. I bought my  2001 at 10k for $1800.  That was 4 years ago, but condition and mileage is more important than the model year.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/09/14 at 13:58:26

The bikes are plentiful, and you can get a really nice bike if you are patient, and willing to look around a bit before you buy.  There are abused bikes, bikes that have been stored outside.....and there are nice ones that have been taken care of and stored indoors.

When I went looking - I wanted to avoid the ones that had been stored outdoors and corroded.  I found one that had been stored indoors, was only 4 years old, and only had 262 miles on it.  The lady was dating a biker and learning to ride - but then they broke up and she stopped riding.  I paid $ 2,650 for a 2007 (in 2011) - but I had to drive from Kentucky to New York to pick it up.  If you watch for a while....you can find similar deals. My neighbor just bought a 10 year old Ninja 250 that only had 60 miles on it....the lady that bought it found out she was pregnant just after she bought it, and never road it after that.

Don't be afraid to look at bikes that are in other cities.......if you find the right one it will be worth the extra effort.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #3 - 12/09/14 at 15:32:27

My suggestions.

1st:  Clear Title !  Not, “I can get it”, “My X has it”, “The Bank has it”.
Ask to see the CLEAR  Title first. If it is secured by a loan, their MUST, be a Satisfaction or release, Signed and Notarized, by the person that, gave the loan.  If not just keep looking, (Unless it is a smoken deal), and if  you don’t get a title, you will be another one of us selling parts.

2nd: Tires. Take a flash light, and look on the tire for the date code.   Don’t care WHAT the tread looks like, or how many, ’strings’ are on the side, if they are 5+ years old,  you will be wanting a new pair.
(Old tires on a car/truck, fine, Ya got 4 of them !  Old tires on a trailer, fine, the trailer is not going to tip over with you on it at speed). On a MC, you only have 2, and when you lean on a curve, you want them to HOLD the road, not, side out from under you, because they are to hard/old.

My opinion, I would take the 06, before the 01.  (of coarse if all things were equal)
Take CASH, Green Money, 100.00 bills.  Know what the NADA is, (or other Blue Book) values are:
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/Manufacturers

And the rest of the excellent advice here.. Looks, Condition, Sound, Drivability, etc.

Here are just 2 examples, a 06, 5600 miles, listed for on CL, for 2,500.00
Bought for 1950.00. Discounted for old tires. Discounted for side cover missing, and waved CASH in their face.
The 97, 6500 miles, listed for 1,400.00. Looked Real Good!,  BUT when I started it up,
I shut it down after a min. Than said:  I’ll give you 600.00, Bought it for 650,
( because I, ’Thought’ I new what the problem was.  I was Wrong).

Don’t buy, ‘in’ season, buy, ‘Out’, of season.  You Only buy a  Lawn mower in the FALL, and a Snow blower in the Spring.

Then if their is something you can’t fugue out on your own, ASK,  Here.  You will get Plenty of good advice.

When you get one. 1st thing, Change the Oil. (as per oils recommended on this list, with ZINK in them), And Change the filter!   Then change the oil again after 1-2 hundred miles. Then your good to go.  (Regardless what the Previous Owner said, You Just Don’t know).

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 12/09/14 at 16:17:19

Dave wrote on 12/09/14 at 13:58:26:
The bikes are plentiful, and you can get a really nice bike if you are patient, and willing to look around a bit before you buy.  There are abused bikes, bikes that have been stored outside.....and there are nice ones that have been taken care of and stored indoors.

When I went looking - I wanted to avoid the ones that had been stored outdoors and corroded.  I found one that had been stored indoors, was only 4 years old, and only had 262 miles on it.  The lady was dating a biker and learning to ride - but then they broke up and she stopped riding.  I paid $ 2,650 for a 2007 (in 2011) - but I had to drive from Kentucky to New York to pick it up.  If you watch for a while....you can find similar deals. My neighbor just bought a 10 year old Ninja 250 that only had 60 miles on it....the lady that bought it found out she was pregnant just after she bought it, and never road it after that.

Don't be afraid to look at bikes that are in other cities.......if you find the right one it will be worth the extra effort.

Dave, what do you guess the cost of getting the bike home was?
I do believe that should be factored in....... don't you?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/09/14 at 17:29:49

Unless you're ready to go into where the cam chain lives soon, avoid the ones approaching 10,000 miles. Not knowing how it was ridden, average miles per trip,just when it will be ready for a Verslavy is up in the air.
How it's been stored really matters,too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 12/10/14 at 04:22:51

[quote author=55465E43465040270 link=1418159293/0#4 date=1418170639]Dave wrote on 12/09/14 at 13:58:26:
Dave, what do you guess the cost of getting the bike home was?I do believe that should be factored in....... don't you?

Well.....I am not sure.  I suppose you could include that, and it most likely was a couple hundred dollars if you don't count the wear on the car.  It was an adventure and a bit of fun (except for the part about being in downtown Manhattan at 5 PM on a Friday night - it took me 5 hours to drive 40 miles)!  I got to see a really cool part of Pennsylvania called the Delaware Water Gap , I got to tour Bill's Old Bike Barn, http://www.billsbikebarn.com/, I got to eat Pancakes with Sausage gravy for breakfast one morning, and I was given the privilege of paying $ 24 to drive over a toll bridge in New York City that seemed to be only a few hundred feet long!  I had fun going to get the bike, and it was definitely an adventure.  I looked for about 6 months in the local area, and I just didn't find a nice, well cared for bike that I felt was the bike I wanted.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 12/10/14 at 06:58:10

"I looked for about 6 months in the local area, and I just didn't find a nice, well cared for bike that I felt was the bike I wanted"

Looking and not finding is why I ended up buying a left over 2013 S40 from a dealer.

I have bought many good used motorcycles that have required less work than this one from a Suzuki dealer.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #8 - 12/10/14 at 08:13:26

I too looked for about six months, this summer.   Found one in Southern Utah, I was in Montana.  We met in SLC, I had a rental trailer with me.  READ about tie downs before you go!  

2007 primo shape with 1,600 miles $2050.  Again lots of looking.

Good Luck  Cool

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #9 - 12/10/14 at 08:47:12

Looked for around a year. Got a 2003, stored in a shed, 1,592 miles on it and got it for $1650 and only 12 miles from our house. Not a scratch on it but a few small surface  tarnish/ rust/ corrosion spots that can be literally wiped off. Cool
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: Newbie and looking to buy advice..
Reply #10 - 12/10/14 at 10:24:40

Wakosama,

Here is a Savage that was posted today in Houston.  1997, Dyna muffler installed, tires in picture appear newer (at least not stock!) and the seats have some kind of extra cushioning.  Mileage isn't listed, but it does say title in hand.  For $1650, it is at least worth looking at.

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4798863475.html

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 12/10/14 at 11:11:56

Everyone has made good points as far as what to look for, but just for comparison I got my 2008 with 400 miles on it in 2012 (4 years old) that was stored in a barn with the carb properly drained, etc. (and not exposed to elements). IIRC I paid about $2200-ish and had to drive a few hours to pick it up so factor in the cost of gas.

Cleaned it up top to bottom (4 years worth of dust) and it looked brand spankin' new and I have been tickled pink with the bike ever since.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck in your search.

My only piece if critical advice is COME HERE AND ASK before you pay anyone to do any work on your bike regardless of what it is...better yet, DON"T pay anyone regardless!  There are a lot of excellent folks here that are eager to help one another, especially newbies, and they'll happily walk you step by step through any problems you have.  This is my first bike and I learned, after much apprehension, that it's a tremendously easy bike to work on...just stick with the forum here and you'll be in good hands.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 12/11/14 at 13:35:41

Mine isn't on CL but I'd sell it to a forum member for a decent price
2007, 3400 miles, brand new rear tire (likely needs a front, not due to wear but age) one rear turn signal needs replacement (knocked it off unloading it from a pickup by myself)
It is not garaged, but sits on my porch, so it's dirty and has some rust on chromed areas
it runs and rides well on 1/2 choke, but  the carb could stand a cleaning
I'm sure we have another member in Houston who would help you with that
I rode it from Columbus to Lagrange Tuesday and by the time I got back it was running pretty good

almost forgot, it already had a Raptor petcock

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #13 - 12/11/14 at 15:24:57

Quote:
 " ... I have bought many good used motorcycles that have required less work than this one from a Suzuki dealer.   ...

Also looking for, another one.
Have considered a, ‘year old’ one at the dealer.
(NOW in MN is the Right time to  Buy)

(Shot a, ‘hole in the air’, with the 97)

However, thinking one with 1-3 thousand miles, might be better,
as the, ‘dealer’, did , ’tweaking’ , paid for by the Previous Owner,
who did not want to do it him/her self.

So their will be less, ’tweaking’.
On the other hand, a, ’new- year old’ one,
the, ’tweaking’ would be all mine, and good,
with the knowledge and advice from this forum.

Still got the eye out for another one.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 12/11/14 at 20:14:26

A well maintained 20,000 mile bike? Bugs worked out.. Sold a2005, 20,000 miles, Supertrap, Raptor, jetted, pegs ground down on the ends, about a year ago,$2500.00, and, I handed him some parts, cam chain, lights, and Suzuki Service Manual. Tank was dented from my knee,when I caught it as it rolled off the stand. All that,, it RAN gooood and Sounded good,too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:07:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie and looking to buy advice..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.