Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windows 10 Saga continues ..... (Read 255 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Windows 10 Saga continues .....
12/08/14 at 23:39:11

All is not well with the Windows 10 preloader folks.  

As of December 8 these intrepid explorers have gotten 2 bloody indian arrows in the butt from the last 2 upgrades, with the last one rendering the test machine completely unreliable for normal modern style computer users as the built in Explorer/file system crashes frequently.  

Folks are talking about wanting to freeze the upgrades or else develop a hacked method "to go back" an upgrade or two to a more stable product.

Microsoft has also updated the Win 10 real product release date from April 2015 to "late fall, 2015" as they realize the scope of what they still must do, the ever decreasing resources still left on board to do it all ---  and the generally ugly mood of their MS stock investors who are insisting all the current remaining payroll/people cuts take place on time and as scheduled.

Please note the referred link below isn't a bunch of guys chatting on a forum, it is an article in Windows IT Pro which is a reputable voice for Windows professional people who work taking care of massive windows installations in business, etc.   These are the Windows faithful, all grown up and gone out and gotten jobs in the field who are getting disenchanted with what they currently see going on.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/windows-insiders-could-get-windows-10-rtm-...

"If you are part of the Windows Insider program, you've been experiencing some issues over the past month or so. In particular, the last build of Windows 10 beta (or, ahem, Technical Preview) is wrought with unsurmountable bugs that crash File Explorer and require multiple reboots each day. Microsoft, of course, has released a few fixes over the past couple weeks, in hopes to smooth out problems until a new build can release in early 2015.

I've had discussions over the past couple weeks with some who want to go back to an earlier build, or even just find a way to deny new builds. Unfortunately, you can't, and this is all part of the steps you took to join the Windows Insider program. To be a program participant, updates are mandatory. If you don’t want a new build or don't want to install an update that is reported to have problems, turn your computer off and leave it off. That's the only fix.

Unfortunately, against better judgment, some installed Windows 10 beta on productions computers. Tsk, tsk. Those program rules are there for a reason. Microsoft even noted in the Windows Insider reveal that some builds could take steps backwards in both functionality and stability. So, it really shouldn't be too surprising.

But, there's the catch. Turning your computer off and denying updates means you might miss out on something truly exciting next year when a polished Windows 10 finally releases. According the Windows Insider chief, Gabe Aul, Windows Insider participants could be eligible for the full, RTM version of Windows 10 when its ready.

So, for those about to give up on the Windows Insider program due to some issues in the last build, maybe you should stick with it after all. The rumored release for Windows 10 is late summer or early fall of 2015. Surely, you can put up with beta software until then?"

If you take the mental viewpoint that MS is practicing all their "lock you in tricks" and prototyping their new "only one version of Windows" distribution method for the future then this current history paints a very ugly picture -- you get what you get on a auto-update that you CANNOT avoid getting nor can you "go back up one" if the update winds up having a serious heartburn with your hardware.    After all, you ARE locked in -- so just lump it and like it, or you can turn your machine off if that is what you choose.

As the market price of low end laptop hardware plummets and the playing field becomes all flat and "same-same" on purchase price  -- MS is finding that their various new Win-ugly tricks may indeed be their biggest customer dissatisfaction issue out there.

In the mean time, Google has updated Chrome with the ability to run any Android 5.0 app out there and now they have released a new larger preloading caching system that makes you relatively less sensitive to your wifi connection coming and going as you move around during your day.   There have been no 64 bit screw ups at all so far out of ARM/Android/Google and even Samsung didn't get all over eager and screw themselves up any during the initial 64 bit Android 5.0 upgrade.

In this same time span  Microsoft and the Windows 10 Preview has dropped two burning hot arrow heads into the butts of their trial users who are now very actively griping about it.    

Microsoft has also ran forward with their plans to kill off Win 7 years early  (Win 7 being the last version that people actually liked for itself)  and they have screwed up several monthly security patch releases to the point they had to call them back and they have hacked up an Explorer 10 release to a certain degree as well to the point bug fixes had to be issued on the upgrade.

Go MS, go....   you go piss all these various IT folks off enough and they'll start looking at Chromebooks and Chromeboxes even more seriously.

================   REMEMBER

Software on the net (or inside the corporate intranet) is totally portable and the new net based software DOES NOT CARE what OS you run on your hardware itself once you get an approved browser running.    And Chrome is by far the most popular browser out there at the moment.

This is the ultimate future revelation that MS has no answer for at all -- if all major softwares become available through the web, who would want to PAY GOOD MONEY for the OS based suffering that MS puts you through?

The thought of getting a fresh "forced upgrade" dose of it every month or so just leaves some IT folks just sick at their stomachs.

« Last Edit: 12/09/14 at 08:59:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Windows 10 Saga continues .....
Reply #1 - 12/09/14 at 01:53:47

http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-targets-businesses-with-chromebooks-for-w...

Google targets businesses with Chromebooks for Work

Google has assembled the tools necessary to make a bigger push into business with Chromebooks and Chromeboxes.    This is the same battle plan they followed with Education, and in that battle they took the field in only two years, a field that was completely dominated by Apple and Windows machines.   They did it by being much easier to live with, much cheaper to buy and by also providing current good free education software to complement the attractive package.

The thought they are now pushing at business is that Chromebooks can save the company $5,000 per each machine over the 3 year normal business lease lifetime in simple support cost savings.

What is making this possible is that companies are putting in intranets and running all their softwares remotely over those intranets.    This puts them in a position to use a Chromebook or Chromebox for data input and simply take the hardware and support cost savings as a direct bottom line benefit.    The IT support staff reductions, etc. is just icing on that cake.

They are making a business case to business people -- drones can type their data entry on a Chrome device just as good as they can type on a more expensive, MUCH more trouble to take care of Windows machine.

And business is beginning to listen ......   senior IT people are not pleased with MS right now, and they can see hard data from Education that Chromebooks and Chromeboxes simply work well and really do have the advantages "as advertised".

The key places where Chromebooks can drop in best are anywhere the person is working on intranet based company created software that is repetitive keyboard entry based work.

Duh, that is MOST of the places inside a cubicle office now-a-days.

=======================================

Cost of new equipment is so low now that "annual MS support costs" far outweigh the total cost of switching over to Google's free stuff.   Paybacks are now approaching one year, which no modern business can refuse to take advantage of.

One year payback, or if you are smart at the end of a current machine lease rental period, you can get a functional ZERO cost instant payback since you'd have to contract to rent something anyway.

Dell is leasing a Whole LOT of Chromestuff lately .... first to Education and beginning to lease lots to Business now.

======================================

When the real costs and "the upgrade plan" for Win 10 becomes known, look to see a big uptick in ChromeOS changeover numbers.

Microsoft isn't keeping all these details completely secret for as long as possible because it is good news for them,  the longer they can keep it completely secret the longer they can string the existing business folks along.

« Last Edit: 12/12/14 at 10:21:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ithanul
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/09/14 at 16:00:48

Ouch, MS sure not having a great time.

Though, I never mess with a Chromebook.  It just based off the Linux kernal.  So, most places could just wipe 8 or 10 off, and install a distro like Ubuntu.   Been running the new 14.04LTS of Ubuntu, and it runs smooth on this old three year old ultrabook.  Makes Windows 8 look like a snail with the speed definitly when starting up or shut down.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 12/12/14 at 10:04:52

http://googleforwork.blogspot.com/2010/12/chrome-is-ready-for-business.html

Which businesses have switched over to Chrome browser at this point in time.

"Over the past few months, we have worked to test Chrome with admins in a diverse set of large organizations interested in moving to a more secure, modern browser. Organizations such as Vanguard, Boise State University, and Procter & Gamble (and Google!) have already successfully deployed Chrome to thousands of users. They’ve provided us with excellent feedback, and we’re continuing to work on the next set of features that they’ve requested."

So, Google is rolling out a very much lower cost Google Package for Business while MS is tied up in their knickers beta testing a new OS and a new forced update methodology to better lock in all their old business users.

Interesting ..... let's see if BIG BUSINESS acts like businesses are supposed to do about using that cost and benefit analysis on these choices rather than letting their IT bosses just continue to do what they have always done.

Vanguard and Proctor and Gamble -- not small players there.    I wonder if they will do complete write ups of the results when they finish their implementation periods.

Once a business has switched over to Chrome Browser (remembering that Chrome Browser and the Chromebook OS are actually 99% the same thing) there is very little of a jump left to trying out a set of Chromeboxes or Chromebooks for a use that fits them relatively well (and rolling up the money savings for a Six Sigma Project).

Major businesses need the ability to roll out software automatically over their intranets and to control their user groups over that same intranet ..... they also need to keep their data in house and keep their company secrets, so a true web based solution will not work for big business.

Google is partnering with Citrix (the ones who do the secure company intranet stuff) to give big business what they need for secure data control and centralized machine admin control.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 12/12/14 at 13:52:08

That was the whole reason for the PC in business to begin with.  To get rid of centralized data storage, admin, and control.  Free up the big hardware for what it was designed for instead of handling some word processing and a spreadsheet.

Isn't it strange how things come full circle.  

Central admin found out that users are much, much more dangerous to data, computers, peripherals than they ever imagined. Now they are trying to give them a terminal with centralized data storage, administration and control. It will save lots of man hours over the virus-riddled, picky'I'll work when I want' Windows installations, make sure they can be backing up critical company data, help them to comply with regs regarding email retention, make it much easier to control who gets to what. Makes it very easy to control who gets to copy data to local storage.

IT will have all major programs and computer equipment right there at their fingertips.  Users can get on any system anywhere in the house and have all their data, programs, etc. available. Upgrade one software installation and everyone is updated. Change one file and everyone has the change. No more early morning calls to IT saying 'hey guys, the overnight upgrade bombed out and I've got this error on the screen today'.

Just too bad it has to be somebody who's data mining every single keystroke and access that has become the defacto standard in putting out the systems to use to do it.

Who's going to plug the Google security hole and how?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 12/12/14 at 14:35:55

Citrix is the business partner that provides all the systems assurance anybody has to have that the system will be data secure with all your bits and bytes staying on site.  Citrix does secured intranets.

People who don't trust MS or Google or Citrix with their data are in a world of hurt.   There is Red Hat and encrypted Ubuntu I guess.  

The Chinese Military even had Ubuntu cook them up a REALLY secure OS that only  Chinese Military hardware is able to use.

« Last Edit: 12/13/14 at 00:03:44 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 12/12/14 at 14:41:52

With the amounts of data traveling the web and people just downloading every "app" that their friends send out on face book and any other social media forum, I do not believe it will be possible to "reign in" any of the data suckers that are out there.
Any developer worth their weight not only develops their software with the program in mind, but also the "ads" and "keyclick" suckers they can manage to bring in a few extra bucks.
You think that they are out to "free you" from the "big guys"? Ain't happening... if its free... you are the key. They have put a tracker on your isp addy, and every time you log, you are sending them your information.
You will NOT be able to get away from it, no matter what "anti" hack/keyclik/ad or malware software you download or use. Because they have their own "tracers" "tracker" software loaded up to use against their foes.
Was helping my wife with her insurance from her company, we logged on to a "secure" site and were instantly bombarded with pop ups.. I had her call her manager to say she would not be logging on, and he told her that she had to, for the company insurance. When I made her give me the phone and told him that our home system had been "compromised" because of malicious software from his companies "secure" site and that she would be using the businesses computer to log on... he said he would "take care of it" for her.
Its all about making the money now... they could care less about your personal computer "safety".
Windows or any other software...are going to do it... if you want to get "online", you are going to be violated... no matter what you think you can do to stop it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 12/12/14 at 23:37:45

I guess the choices for most normal people are to use MS Windows, to use Chrome OS on a Chromebook or to go high cost high end with an Apple product.

Apple is taking all their money right now when you buy the device (or if you buy any add-on software), MS is apparently going to tap you for a yearly fee ongoing and Google is going to sell ads and sees your hardware as a means of making sure you can get on line to look at those ads.

All of them are out to make a buck off of you, but by different means.

Linux distros are not really in the running as a front player, but Linux is currently increasing (tripling) distro market share based off of MS's killing off of old OS products in such a clumsy stupid fashion.   Linux will run like a scalded dog off of 10 year old Intel Core 2 duo Wintel equipment -- I am typing this post on an $80 Dell refurb system like that right now that is loaded with Linux Mint 17, running a mix of Linux Steam games off of it, etc. etc.

What is really happening is that the cost of a "good enough" system for internet and video/music consumption is plummeting down below $200 (coming from either Google or MS right now).    Used Wintel stuff that runs Linux well can be bought refurbed from Dell for around $135 all day long on Ebay or from Dell Refurb directly.

Repurposing old equipment to Linux is still happening, but most normal folks don't really want to be any form of techie geek any more, they really just want to buy a "computing appliance" and replace it when it dies on them.

=============================

I think most folks are Android literate (have a smart phone and use it to some degree all the time) and they are Windows literate.    Many of us are multi-literate -- most young people are literate in most all computer systems (and apparently own some of all of them).

They (like me) do resent getting tapped by their cell carrier for the horrendous amount of monthly money that they are currently getting charged for cell service and are looking and hoping for a way to cut the cell tower cord.

So, let me introduce you to Republic Wireless, the very first of the "Wifi first, cell tower second" carriers that will sell you a modern phone for cheap and then charge you $10-$24 a month for no-contract service that you can change up instantly at no penalty (up to twice per billing period) right over your phone itself.

https://republicwireless.com/info/plans/

https://republicwireless.com/info/phones/

So, I could buy a Moto G outright for $150, add in a 32 gig SD card for $35 and run a $10 per month plan until I went on vacation, in which case I could up it to a $25 a month plan for the week I was out of pocket and needed that full cell tower data coverage.

Let's see, me and my wife could have unlimited phone and data for $50 a month (or $600 a year).   We are currently spending twice that at Verizon, so it isn't a hard call for me to make.

The only trade off is data speed when running off of the cell towers -- it is only 3G data speed off the cell towers.   But it is full 4G speed when running off of Wifi, which I am covered at home and at work with very good Wifi coverage.   And surprise, although I have a 4G phone right now most of the time I catch 3G coverage off of all the rural towers in my area anyway.

So, I think the technology base is changing and both MS and cell service providers are going to get overcome by events fairly quickly and GET FORCED to charge much more reasonable amounts of money for what they actually do provide to you.

Smiley

« Last Edit: 12/14/14 at 18:02:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 12/14/14 at 13:12:09

All this stuff is twenty miles above my head, but I see Facebook has dumped Bing as a search engine.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 12/14/14 at 17:32:26

Oh yes, there is lots of that about Bing getting sota useless and getting dumped all over the place.  

Lots of the same sort of stuff is out now about Skype now and lots of fear about it starting to happen to MineCraft.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-archive/why-does-Microsoft-screw-up-eve...

http://www.thetelecomblog.com/2012/07/31/dear-microsoft-thanks-for-screwing-u...

http://mashable.com/2014/09/15/microsoft-minecraft-twitter-reactions/

And finally, the New York Times does a full page article about MineCraft .....

http://time.com/3379541/microsoft-please-dont-screw-up-minecraft/

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 12/15/14 at 09:42:37

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-18/intel-to-merge-loss-making-mobile-bu...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8731/intel-plans-merger-of-mobile-and-pc-divisions

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2856192/intel-plunks-down-billions-to-expand-i...

So, amid news of Microsoft's Win 10 software woes last week, the breaking news about Intel's China losses made no waves beyond the financial segment of the business world.

Intel  has a problem with stockholders at the moment -- Krantz broke out Mobile two years ago as a separate division at the insistence of some of  his largest stock holders.

This was a required move so stockholders could see just what Intel was spending on buying market share via "contra revenue" or loss leader pricing and "technology support" or direct bribes to Chinese vendors so they would design a device to use an Intel tablet chipset.

Financial numbers rolled by some non-Intel sources indicate Intel has really spent on the order of 4-6 Billion Dollars in losses over the last two years to buy their claimed 40 million Chinese tablet chips marketshare (which are to be sold by the end of calendar 2014).

Stock holders attending the Intel Investor Day events immediately took out their calculators and gasped -- Intel had actually paid out an astonishing $100 loss per chipset for the ones that will really actually get physically moved into the Chinese manufacturing flow.    This does not count all the obsoleted and scrapped chip versions, either.

Brian Krantz immediately frantically started talking about limiting the number of chipsets sold under these terms to no more than the 45 million which were already committed to and had to be shipped.    

All future orders past this 45m are to be deferred at this time.

Immediately after the meeting closed, Krantz also began an emergency restructuring effort,  quickly moving the Mobile division over to be "an integral part of the the PC division" saying that tablets are taking market share from PC so putting them in the same bucket made sense.

What he is really doing is trying to save his arse from getting fired, because if he can't hide the real cost of what he did to Intel's bottom line in 2014 by hiding the rest of the costs internally to some division that makes enough money to hide it really really well, well then he is likely toast by August 2015.

The Chinese tablet makers are laughing all the way to the bank right now and Intel isn't really any better off than before the loss leader stuff was started up since when the $100 subsidy ends so do the big Intel Chinese tablet production numbers, and the Chinese tablet makers will simply shift back over to other lower cost ARM chipset suppliers like Allwinner or Mediatek again.

The whole thing smells like a wasted joint Wintel effort since Microsoft didn't have Win 10 ready to go into China along with the big Intel loss leader push.   Instead, Win 8.1 with Bing was used -- and that was a lame game to say the least.     Many of the 40 million tablet chipsets were actually put into Android 4.4.4 tablets and MS got left out completely.

What Krantz has done is to clearly forewarn ARM Holdings about the sort of games that will be played by Intel and Microsoft next year.

So Apple and several others have been given the Artemis and Maya next gen ARM designs in complete secrecy so Intel (sorry Intel, the designs are not released yet) cannot see what they will be competing against in second half 2015 and 2016.    Google has gone quiet about the next wave of Android and Chrome OS as well.

What is true of the next two years is the mobile and PC chipset businesses will start to be the functionally about the SAME SAME general sort of stuff across the board as even now ARM designs are showing up in desktop units (yep, Qualcomm is selling their mid to upper fully integrated phone chipsets as fully capable laptop desktop chipsets -- and they are).   Ditto for Mediatek and Allwinner and Samsung.

=====================

Irony is that Intel stock prices are actually doing well at the moment as Wall Street has been very happy to hear that Intel has actually FINALLY moved some chipsets into China.  

Rah Rah Intel !!!     The Intel enthusiasm took a plunge when the Ben Franklin news hit the street though, Intel stock is ratcheting back down in price as we type.

Here is the rub that will eventually become clear -- each Intel designed and built tablet chipset had to have a Ben Franklin taped to it and all the large production numbers claimed for "mobile  phone chipsets" (AKA the Sophia style stuff) planned so far are actually really 100% ARM standard designs with a Intel baseband and radio chipset loss leadered into them.    

Yep, no Intel CPU or GPU cores are used at all in the Intel phone stuff so far .....

Intel is spreading some 1.6 billion dollar heavy duty bribes directly to the Chinese government to let them join Spreadtrum Consortium, etc. so the question becomes if all Intel is bringing to that party is a loss leadered baseband and a loss leadered 3G radio chipset then where/how will Intel ever make any real money by being in China?

By moving Mobile into PC division Krantz can likely hide all the loss stuff well enough to keep his job for first part of next year, but next year the losses will still eventually flush out since folks can compare the year on year dip in the PC unit's profitability.

Roll Eyes

BTW, Asia is rapidly changing their cell services from 3G to 4G LTE service, which means Intel's crop of old baseband chipsets and old 3G radios won't be needed nearly as much going forward .....

Qualcomm is sitting pretty for next year,  having Intel's current loss leader efforts mostly miss them and the mid to upper market segment that Qualcomm owns pretty much completely.  

Allwinner and Mediatek actually took the Intel hit, but didn't really feel it for much as the Intel/ARM 45m tablet phone stuff is "very minor volume" when split between those two volume giants.    (Mediatek sold over 550 million tablet chipsets in 2013 and Allwinner was the largest volume ARM chip maker of the lot by a goodly amount, outselling both Apple and Qualcomm added together based on just counting the number of chipsets made and shipped)

Intel is still struggling hard to keep Apple on board, so the 2015 yet to be written Intel story should be very interesting to watch unfold.    Intel is a spurting bright red fiscal blood all over the place while trying to act nonchalant like it doesn't hurt them any ....

(Yep, Intel will certainly have to loss leader all the 2015 Skylake Apple stuff to come in below the A9's internal cost to Apple since Intel is nearly a year late with Skylake due to their 14nm process not working out as planned --- and the Skylake production cost is coming in way high to boot)

« Last Edit: 12/15/14 at 20:12:49 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 12/16/14 at 09:30:00

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/18/intels_cash_cow_pc_chip_division_to_g...

Direct from the Brit communications rumor works, here is the first gasp on the Intel emergency restructuring.

"The move will see the company's current PC Client and Mobile and Communications groups combined into a single new division, which will reportedly be known as Client Computing.

It will also draw some scrutiny away from the old Mobile and Communications division – which, although it's widely perceived as Intel's most critical business for future growth, has been losing both cash and market share, despite the chipmaker's best efforts.

During the third quarter of Intel's fiscal 2014, the group posted an operating loss of $1.04bn on sales that were down 99.72 per cent from the same period the previous year and down 98 per cent from the previous sequential quarter.

Put another way, Intel's hopes of breaking into mobile phones essentially evaporated in Q3. Nobody in that business wants Chipzilla's stuff, especially given how rapidly new, more powerful, and more versatile ARM SoCs keep flooding the market.

How Intel intends to turn that around is unclear, but one effect of the restructuring will be a change in management. Leading the new Client Computing group will be Kurt Skaugen, who currently heads the PC Client division.

That group, by comparison, brought in $9.19bn in revenues in the third quarter, and its operating income was up 27 per cent, buoyed by an uptick in PC and server sales.

Herman Eul, who leads the Mobile and Communications group now, will stick around to oversee its transition into the new structure but will then step aside to take a new, unspecified job at Intel."

So, Herman Eul will wear the horns and take the headsman's axe blow instead of Krantz.  The strong drop in sell through units also begs the question -- did the Oriental Tablet Makers chop off their existing chip orders when the first finished units failed to sell through at retail in China?

..... take away thought of the day .....

Put another way, Intel's hopes of breaking into mobile phones essentially evaporated in Q3. Nobody in that business wants Chipzilla's stuff, especially given how rapidly new, more powerful, and more versatile ARM SoCs keep flooding the market.

Intel did several things in 2014 that ticked off ARM Holdings, things like getting creative with their license agreement, taking on A-17 tech licensed only to Rockchip, APPLYING THE INTEL NAME publically to ARM technology based phone chipsets (not putting the ARM symbol on them) and various other sneaky tricky things.

Based on these shady dealings, ARM may well choose to not license the next level of ARM tech to Rockchip or to Intel since they simply cannot be trusted to keep to their ARM license agreements.

In 2015 the gloves in this contest may come off completely ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 12/16/14 at 20:10:49

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469563,00.asp

Windows 10 on Mobile: We've Heard This All Before

"Reading the Windows 10 announcement from a mobile perspective, I wondered why I wanted to scoff at it. After all, the vision of a unified Microsoft world extending across all screens is great, and it's what Microsoft has needed all along to make Windows Phone a winner.

Then it hit me: if you fail enough times at the same thing, people stop believing you.  It's not just that Microsoft keeps failing to integrate its mobile, desktop, and console products.  It keeps claiming it will.

"The Windows 8 opportunity is now a Windows 9 opportunity," a Microsoft employee once said to me. Right. Hope springs eternal."

I expect the Brits and the Germans to lambast Microsoft and Intel, they just flat love to hate the dynamic duo, both together as a team and individually.

But this is good 'ol PC Magazine saying this .....   they simply don't think MS has it in them to actually pull off a real across the board OS system without making it into another aborted "useless" Win 8 style RT style debacle.

Sad thing is the Win 10 Technical Preview show is proving them right, twice now the MS design group has shown signs of going back to the basics to try to go down a different path, develop a new set of general operating parameters -- but meanwhile they are dragging the entire tester world along with them through daily BSD's and daily lock-ups and now they are announcing that the completed Win 10 software "may not be completely available on all platforms in 2015" ???

PC Magazine is not alone in thinking that MS is just fumbling their way along on this one.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-ready-to-show-off-windows-10-mobile-sk...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/2014-the-year-microsoft-lost-my-loyalty/

Undecided

If Microsoft is pitching any early spring BS, then they are pitching it to a bunch of magazine writer people who will instantly call them on their PR nonsense -- MS has never had to deal with so much ingrained distrust from the reporting media before now and they (MS) are tripping currently over their tongues very badly of late.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 12/16/14 at 21:36:14

Let's start a Linux Saga thread...
Adobe is no longer supporting Linux Distros...

Using Youtube or Netflix now requires bowing to the mighty Google...

I'm goin' back to Windows....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 12/17/14 at 05:58:34

Sero, take the same statement and say it differently.

Adobe only Flash supports those who will pay them to do so.   Adobe is a for profit company after all, and they are losing a lot of their bread & butter Flash money with all sorts of web people going to HTML 5 all over the place.  

Adobe Flash is not being used by very many companies now because HTML is becoming prevalent and the Flash type alternatives (including MS Silverlight) are not being supported well at all by their source companies (because fewer and fewer people are using them too).

In the Linux world, Google is the only one still paying for Adobe flash support.    But you can get that support for free by using Chrome Browser in your free distro of choice.  

Also note that Google still has to fix each new Flash version before releasing it for free since Adobe does such a poor job of keeping up with it.    So you could take this as Adobe does not really support Linux at all, but Google does .....

This is one of the many reasons why Chrome has become the 65% browser market share holder.   If you want to jump back over to the less than 10% share holder you certainly can.   MS wants you back, very  badly they do.  

MS will charge you $$$ for that Adobe service though, starting next year.   After all, MS like Adobe is a for profit company that has to charge money for their software and support.

Me, I use Chrome and Firefox both of them free softwares and I also use Adblock Plus which is a most excellent free software.

If you do it right, and are willing to play with your Yabb preferences on your site setting, you don't have to look at any ads or sidebars or anything but just the good stuff, even right here on SS.com .....

Tell the truth, Sero -- you just miss dealing with all the "update available" popups, defragging your hard drive and updating your anti-virus stuff every week and doing all those multiple multiple required update this and update that 10 minute download, upgrade & reboots every week, don't you?    And you miss seeing all the ads all over the place, stuck everywhere and inside everything, even inside the OS itself.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/2014-the-year-microsoft-lost-my-loyalty/

Take a deep breath and read this guy's saga again -- actually you are half way or better down his path and you'll complete the journey sometimes or another.    Why?   Because going back to MS will just bug the shite out of you all the time once you get back there and get reminded of all the reasons you left in the first place.

Also notice what he says about MS just not answering the phone any more if you pick any version before the current one.

Wink      

Sero, you write us a saga thread about going back to MS .... starting which version you pick and why.   Remember, I haven't had a blue screen or a freeze lockup in over three years now, so you be honest with us about how many required reboots and how many screen lockups and how many update notices and and all the ads you get when you go back.    

Adobe by itself gives my wife's laptops about two to three update notice popups a week, each one locking the machine down during the download and install portions and also requiring a full systems reboot when it is done.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:26:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Windows 10 Saga continues .....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.