Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Replacing front turn signal (Read 177 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Replacing front turn signal
12/05/14 at 15:36:01

I finally found a great deal on a replacement turn signal after I smashed it accidentally in the garage with a 2x4. Now the problem is I can't remove the screw holding the old one on. I just need to remove the screw on the bottom and it comes right off, right? I've tried a large Phillips screwdriver and an impact driver. No dice. How do you get WD40 to flow uphill into the threads?  Cheesy  Any other ideas?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Replacing front turn signal
Reply #1 - 12/05/14 at 15:48:47

Is the cross for the Phillips still ok or is it mangled? If it isn't mangled I can only suggest you get the longest screwdriver you can, preferably of the correct head for the screw, Phillips and JASO are different. If the screwdriver shank is square put a crescent near the handle, put as much weight as you can on the handle and turn the crescent. If the screwdriver shank is round, use visegrips.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 12/05/14 at 16:34:04

Or go to your local tool/hardware store and get a Phillips head in a socket so you can put a ratchet on it.Get the large one.A #3 I think.
Also try tightening it just a little bit.It will break it loose sometimes.Then loosen it.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/06/14 at 20:25:23

It's not a True Phillips... grind the tip till the X fills the slots.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 12/07/14 at 10:18:11

JOG, that was my next step. I might even try soldering or gluing the screwdriver to the screw. Shocked

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 12/07/14 at 11:15:11

Solder or glue won't be strong enough, and a JASO screwdriver will make all the difference.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 12/07/14 at 16:13:05

Anyone sell them online for less than a small fortune?

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #7 - 12/07/14 at 17:04:29

Google Vessel tool for the best JIS screwdrivers

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 12/07/14 at 21:55:59

I've fought that fight. Couldn't understand Why my impact#2 Phillips would not get it.. Got down,looked up, SAW, applied bench grinder, test fit, nope, more grinder, X fills the slots, Hit it,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #9 - 12/08/14 at 06:07:55

The JIS (Japanese Industrial Screw) screw drivers are available from:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#jis-(japanese-industrial-standard)-screwdrivers/=uxmrb9

If you are going to own Japanese equipment, especially motorcycle carburetors, this is the best investment in tools you will ever make. The smaller drivers also fit Japanese electronics such as smart phones.

I have had my set of JIS drivers since 1972 and they are still perfect because they fit the screws perfectly.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 12/08/14 at 09:15:15

I book marked this a long time ago....I still haven't made the purchase.

http://www.jdvproducts.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers/screwdriver-sets/motorcycl...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #11 - 12/08/14 at 17:35:53

Dave,

I have been preaching my sermon on Japanese Industrial Standard screws and screwdrivers for over 40 years. The only way a guy can really work on Japanese carburetors is with a vice grip or JIS screw drivers.

The 1973 Norton that I rode for thirty years was modified to use one 50 or 60mm Mikuni carburetor and when sold the Norton the original screws were still in the carb.

Most of European cabinet hinges use the JIS fasteners.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/09/14 at 05:16:09

Yea, I have often dreaded the fact that whenever I have to remove the factory fasteners - the heads are often distorted from using the Phillips screwdrivers in the JIS fasteners.  The #3 seem to come out OK - but the #2 size doesn't fit well.  My impact driver bits fit well and are most likely JIS - but my screwdrivers just don't fit well.  When I did my Cafe' bike I used a lot of stainless allen head screws to avoid the Phillips/JIS experience.

I went ahead and bought a Vessel set off eBay.  It was expensive - but the set includes 2 stubby screwdrivers, along with a #3 impact driver that sells for $ 24.95 alone.  You can get the smaller sets much cheaper, and   I should have done this years ago.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-ATV-Tuner-Tools-Vessel-Screwdriver-8-Piece...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #13 - 12/09/14 at 06:32:42

Dave,

As expensive as that set of screwdrivers is it is a worthwhile investment and it will last the rest of your life.

I too replace as many fasteners as I can with stainless steel Allen head screws when ever I take anything apart. We have a really great fastener wholesaler in Denton, TX, and yesterday when I was there I took along a printout of the Mikuni carburetor shown here on the website and they had all the sizes shown on the drawing.

Even though I have the tools to use the JIS fasteners I still like to put a bike back together with Allen screws because I can carry all the wrenches for Allen screws in my tool kit.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 12/09/14 at 17:43:40

I don't know what else to say,, I had the same problem.. I spent some time with the grinder and won it without a trip to town.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:26:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacing front turn signal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.