Dragon restrictions (Read 84 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Dragon restrictions
12/02/14 at 17:12:40

I just received this email today .   It was forwarded from the ABATE TN.    

Last spring I wanted to go see the Daytona Rally and the ABATE FL. had the Fair Grounds (Daytona)  set-up as a camp ground.   Well they turned out to be a good bunch of fellers (not as good as ya'll) so I joined the Tn, version and come to find out they're a good bunch of fellers too !

Anyway this was good new to me !  Smiley

PR/Communications Director
CMT/ABATE

Good news for motorcyclists straight from TDOT.
FREEDOM COUPLED WITH RESPONSIBILITY EQUALS LIBERTY.
Ride safe protect your Life AND Liberty

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tue, Dec 2, 2014 10:43 am
Subject: FW: Truck Restrictions on "The Dragon" in Blount County

Hot off the presses – this release just went out to media statewide.

B.J. Doughty
TDOT Director of Community Relations & Communications
505 Deaderick Street
Nashville, TN 37243

Description: Description: Description: YouTube  Description: Description: Description: Twitter  Description: Description: Description: Facebook  Description: Description: Description: Flickr

Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 10:42 AM
To: Michelle Griggs
Subject: Truck Restrictions on "The Dragon" in Blount County

December 2, 2014

Truck Restrictions on “The Dragon” in Blount County
Limits for commercial vehicles longer than 30 feet on US 129 (SR 115)

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Following the completion of an operational and safety review, the Tennessee Department of Transportation has determined that vehicles over 30 feet in length will no longer be allowed to utilize a mountainous section of US 129 (SR 115) in Blount County known as “The Dragon.”

From 2010 to 2012, there were 204 total crashes from the Tennessee/North Carolina State Line to Tabcat Bridge (Log Mile 11.19) in Blount County, with six of those involving fatalities. This is considered a critical number of crashes based on the type of road and number of vehicles per day on this facility. While only one of the fatal crashes involved a tractor trailer, there were a number of incidents involving large trucks. Due to the curvy and narrow roadway, incidents involving tractor trailers usually block the highway for several hours and prevent travel for all motorists.

Signage detailing these restrictions will be installed in mid-January. TDOT has coordinated these efforts with the Tennessee Highway Patrol and Blount County law enforcement.

North Carolina has similar restrictions for truck traffic on US 129 from the Tennessee/North Carolina State Line to the Graham County (NC) Line.

For travel and TDOT construction information, visit the TDOT SmartWay web site at www.tn.gov/tdot/tdotsmartway/. Motorists are reminded to use all motorist information tools responsibly.  Drivers should refrain from texting, tweeting or using a mobile phone while operating a vehicle.

###

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Dragon restrictions
Reply #1 - 12/02/14 at 18:05:25

Ya' scared me.......I thought maybe they were going to lower the speed limit to 20 mph.  Or maybe restrict the road to any bike other than a Goldwing or fully dressed Harley.

Getting 50 foot long trailers and tractors off the road probably is a good thing.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 12/05/14 at 04:11:31

I have seen big trucks several times on the Dragon and it is flat DANGEROUS to be in the other lane when one is about.

What is sneaky is the way the butt end of the thing swings out & over equally as much as the cab did, but you aren't expecting that and some motorcyclists have been slapped by the butt end of a big rig when it swang over unexpectedly and slapped them off the road.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 12/05/14 at 04:22:26

I've driven truck and I see no reason that anybody would want to take a big truck down through there.It will make it safer.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/05/14 at 04:29:52

Demin wrote on 12/05/14 at 04:22:26:
I've driven truck and I see no reason that anybody would want to take a big truck down through there.It will make it safer.

I would bet that most big trucks that got on the Dragon......didn't know what they were getting into.  Most likely their GPS or map got them into it with no warning of what the road was like.....and once you get on the road there is no place to turn around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebQP4SgFGgM

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 12/05/14 at 15:24:08

I can drive better than that facing backwards, upside down with my eyes closed!  Shocked

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 12/05/14 at 16:36:00

I think he missed a cone... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #7 - 12/05/14 at 16:38:15

Dave,that's true.Especially with the truck that's shown.They(and a lot of other companies)have qualcom in the trucks.It has directions like a GPS.BUT it doesn't say they are for trucks(Qualcom is designed for trucks...duh)It literally took me through a cow pasture on a dirt road.Again...no place to turn around.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 12/05/14 at 21:21:19

THAT type of cab?On THAT kind of road? Its not possible to keep the trailer in its lane, It can be done Better,, but it cant actually be done,, If youve never pulled a trailer or driven a big truck,, trust me.. Where that 5th wheel sits and the length of the cabs wheelbase, the trailer is Gonna be WAY inside,, he did a crap job, yes, but I dont believe anyone can do it and actually NOT create a hazard. Maybe with a cabover, shorty, No sleeper,, Certainly not that land yacht design,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:24:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon restrictions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.