Send Topic Print
lawnmower (Read 125 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
lawnmower
12/01/14 at 15:44:07

I have an old lawnmower,it sat around for a while.The oil wasn't that nasty,I drained it.The gas was turning ,I draind as much as I could out,and added new gas with stabilizer and seafoam,and then pumped some into the carb with the bulb and pulled the cord.I didn't start it but I'm hoping the seafoam will help clean out the carb a little..Do you think  its a bad ideaq to let the seafoam sit in there for the winter? I probably wont do anything else till spring.Thanks for any advice!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: lawnmower
Reply #1 - 12/01/14 at 16:04:41

Id get it running, get it running Good,, let it get to Full Warmed up,, Then kill it, drain the tank as much as ya can, fire it up and run it till shes outta gas... OR, get it running, warm it up. Prove its running fine,, Kill it, top off the tank,,Defeat the cap vent, foil over the tank neck, then screw the cap on,, tons of ways to do it all,  BUT, todays Gas isnt,, really, GAS  O Lean..lene, lien, lent, whatever,, Useta just Park stuff,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 12/01/14 at 16:09:00

thanks,JOG

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #3 - 12/01/14 at 16:34:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/01/14 at 16:04:41:
Id get it running, get it running Good,, let it get to Full Warmed up,, Then kill it, drain the tank as much as ya can, fire it up and run it till shes outta gas... OR, get it running, warm it up. Prove its running fine,, Kill it, top off the tank,,Defeat the cap vent, foil over the tank neck, then screw the cap on,, tons of ways to do it all,  BUT, todays Gas isnt,, really, GAS  O Lean..lene, lien, lent, whatever,, Useta just Park stuff,,  

A-Yep, what he says !  
Just a couple of, things to try;
Spark ?   Then drain the tank, put in GOOD/REAL, gas,
Get hot, then change the Oil.
Next year, Yea go ahead and use the crap gas,
BUT, before you put it away, DRAIN  the Carb,
DRAIN the gas, and store it DRY !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #4 - 12/01/14 at 19:00:18

Thanks!

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #5 - 12/02/14 at 21:16:09

What kind of lawn mower, and how long has it been sitting?  Is it one of the thousand Briggs and Stratton varieties that looks like this:  

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #6 - 12/03/14 at 12:14:58

its a craftsman, techumsah 4 hp.  its probably been sitting for over a year. the gas was discolored before i drained it. i'll probably never get this thing running, but its cold out now in ct and ,i got to wait for a warm day.

actually ,my other lawnmower which works good,is just like the one in your picture.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 12/03/14 at 20:45:13

Ether is So much help. I have an old tiller that Needs carb work,badly... but,Once it's running,it bucks,misses and hits enough to get the job done.. so,I use it. But,you can keep your mower running on ether till the gas gets cleared out. Just squirt enough to keep it alive,don't try to rev it up on ether.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #8 - 12/04/14 at 19:20:47

The one I mentioned will last for ever, but with ethanol fuels the diaphragm between the fuel tank and carb goes bad easily.  Gee, we've never heard that story, before...   Roll Eyes

I don't think the Tecumseh engines have a carb over tank design, so no diaphragms. Actually, now that I think about it how much seafoam and stabilizer did you add?  If you overdo it, it won't really want to run.  I've done that before.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #9 - 12/05/14 at 07:46:28

I tried to start it ,and there was no spark. I used ether too. I put it out front of my house and someone took it. Oh well, thanks ,I think I still learned something.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 12/05/14 at 21:12:57

I put it out front of my house and someone took it.

Dude! Thats just funny,.. Did you put it out, like, out by the trash or just out front or what?

Learned something, did ya? Like what? How to get rid of a troublesome mower?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 12/06/14 at 09:21:44

I have one that has a plastic carb and it vapor locks soooo bad it actually gets COLD!  It will run crappy and then die after awhile... I tried to work on it, but it eludes me as to what is causing the problem... so I just bought a new one last year.... the old one is sitting in the shed waiting patiently for me to fix it. Huh

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #12 - 12/06/14 at 13:49:08

Yeah I just put it out front,out by the curb,and someone took it. I probably didn't learn much, but I tried hard to get it started.It felt like I learned something. Mabee when to give up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 12/06/14 at 20:57:04

When to give up is a valuable lesson. I am still working on it. I'm considering giving up on it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:19:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › lawnmower

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.