Rear end mock up (Read 132 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Rear end mock up
12/01/14 at 05:45:04

So I'm starting to get my parts together to finish off the rear end. I've decided to use the full rear fender that I acquired which is loosely mocked up on the bike in the pic, then I cut and paste a solo saddle on it. I'll be cutting 3/4" off the front of the fender so that the tail isn't so far down on the back of the rear tire when mounted. I'm going to mount the front of the fender to the swing arm and then have fender struts for the back. In order to make it a bit less bobberish I'm going to make a luggage rack coming off the seat mount that will hover over the rear fender and then I can use a pillion pad as a passenger's seat directly on the luggage rack.

Any thoughts or recommendations are always welcome  Wink

Rear_fender_sprung_seat_with_rear_struts.jpg

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Rear end mock up
Reply #1 - 12/01/14 at 14:36:11

I'd take 2 or 3" inches off the rear one... the front fender looks super!...

Luggage rack sounds cool... I'm not sure it will support  a person suspended off the rear frame tubes though...

Nice looking classic in the works... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/01/14 at 18:35:30

I'm being picky....but to me the back looks too small for the front.  The front of the bike is just too tall for what is going on in the back.

An 18" rear wheel would improve the looks a bunch.  

Something like this....where the top of the front and rear fenders are at the same elevation and the wheels are about the same size.

« Last Edit: 12/02/14 at 05:04:49 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 12/02/14 at 01:03:37

If you took a 40- 45 degree line up from the back axle, about where you have the line for the rear strut, I think that would be a good place to finish the back guard. Some soft panniers back there would help fill in the space (have to find some way of mounting them) and look nice. That's a cool look: Is similar to a RE Bullet, in a good way.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/02/14 at 06:18:54

Toes,
To borrow a line from Billy Crystal, the mock up "Looks Marvelous"!

Have you worked out the placement of brake light and license plate yet? With the planned luggage rack you should have some room to mount it on the back of the rack.

Nice to see a non-cafe, non-bobber project.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/02/14 at 06:31:59

Your work looks very good.  Mounting the fender to the swing arm is a creative idea and eliminates tires rubbing on the fender bolts but you are increasing the weight of metal bouncing around along with the wheel.  

My personal preference would be a subframe.  A subframe is the easiest solution for mounting bags and rear luggage racks.  And while a subframe is there it might as well provide a mount for the fender.  A stationary rear fender makes a handy and stable place to mount tail lights, electronics etc.  And this bike could easily start developing the look of a classic British bike of the fifties or sixties.  Anyway it looks like a great project.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 12/03/14 at 04:53:59

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys  Wink

I'm planning on doing the luggage rack similar to the current Royal Enfield C5 frame supported rack, this will tie it directly into the frame at four points and make it strong enough for a passenger pillion seat too.

As for the rear fender even though it is a full fender and metal it is extremely light, it is a thin shaped sheet metal which won't be too heavy even with the struts and frame rails. So it will have a sub frame just on the exterior, again similar to the RE Bullets. And I think removing around 4" off the front will bring the rear tip into a much more aesthetically pleasing spot.

As for the lights tail light on the rear of the fender which I already have a cool light weight one, and possibly eliminate the turn signals entirely or possibly mount the rear signals tied in to the luggage rack or top shock mounts. I'll see once I have it sorted out and see which way will work best with not being in the passenger's way.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:23:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rear end mock up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.