Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Black Poverty / White Poverty (Read 110 times)
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Black Poverty / White Poverty
11/20/14 at 19:26:32

Black poverty is urban and visible.
White poverty is rural and hidden.

There was an article on our local NPR station about a hospital closing in outstate (rural, White) Missouri.  The hospital had been declining over the years, but when the legislature decided not to approve Medicaid expansion, it went under.  Not only did the town it was located in lose some of its best paying jobs, but the local folks now need a 35 mile ambulance ride to obtain emergency care.  For routine care they are left to their own devices to deal with a 70 mile round trip.

The state legislature is overwhelmingly Republican, with a strong Tea Party bent.  It is clear that killing Medicaid expansion was seen as a way to either "not reward" or "punish" the urban (Black) poor.

Law of unexpected consequences anyone?

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Black Poverty / White Poverty
Reply #1 - 11/21/14 at 06:06:14

I ask permission to post in this thread, because Italy is, sometimes, in a similar situation.

It is not "white/black", rather "urban/rural".

Rural hospitals are being routinely cut down, until they are shut down.

It is not uncommon that a young mother in labor or a more aged patiend with a heart attack has to be delivered not 10, but 30 miles away because the local hospital was shut down.
Mind you, Italy (and Europe as a whole) has a long-standing tradition of civic hospitals, or "religious" hospitals (i.e. run by a religious order).
Health care is free (almost) because it is paid for through taxes.

So when one reads that the local rural hospital is shutting down a ward, or in its entirety, the locals are all but happy.
Being driven an hour or more to the "nearest" hospital, once used to mean "they made it in the nick of time".
Sometimes, these days, it means "they sped off in great haste, and arrived at slow speed and with the emergency lights switched off  - the patient had died en-route".

Tongue

As for "white vs. black", I learned to appreciate Norman Rockwell during my years in the US.

Here is one emblematic painting of his, "The Homecoming - 1945".

I was also very fond of MAD magazine, and loved the way it poked fun at anything and anything... but I won't post anything on Officer Joe, lest I offend anyone.

Hang on there  Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 11/21/14 at 14:12:54

Being from MS .. my whole state is rural!
So yes we know this quite well. To me this speak volumes but not as most would think.  Black poverty is a political football. There are entities that advocate to help this group due to political motivation.. and really not much else. White groups have NO such advocates.. no traction. I can tell you that when ANYONE does advocate for white poverty groups they are quicky called down or the funds become diluted to include already funded Black areas. I really have no answer to it. Its just sad.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 11/21/14 at 15:06:51

mpescatori wrote on 11/21/14 at 06:06:14:
I learned to appreciate Norman Rockwell during my years in the US.

What are your thoughts regarding Rockwells's art?  I don't know what it was like during his time; although, I generally think that was the way it was or perhaps how it is supposed to be.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #4 - 11/21/14 at 15:12:21

Historically, the only groups in the US identified as "pro-White" have been racist.  We can thank the KKK as well as the Citizens Councils for totally poisoning the well.
Yes, there are White pro-ethnic groups, but they are for various types of hyphenated-Americans: Irish-Americans, German-Americans, Polish-, Czech-, you get the picture.  
No one seems to be able to put together an umbrella group of these.
And, when you get an overwhelmingly White group that is political, they seem to get sucked back into the swamp of racism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens%27_Councils

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 12/09/14 at 01:53:28

pg wrote on 11/21/14 at 15:06:51:
mpescatori wrote on 11/21/14 at 06:06:14:
I learned to appreciate Norman Rockwell during my years in the US.

What are your thoughts regarding Rockwells's art?  I don't know what it was like during his time; although, I generally think that was the way it was or perhaps how it is supposed to be.

What are my thoughts on Norman Rockwell and his art ?
Absolutely, entirely positive.

Take notice, not once, afaik, did Norman Rockwell portray something negative. Ever.

He always did his best to highlight the positive even in the most grim situations.

See "The Runaway" - the happy ending is quite clear - maybe not immediate, but you can feel it's coming.

My 25th wedding anniversary will fall during tyhe XMas Holidays, and I intend to surprise my mother and treat her to a special exposition of Rockwell's art they are having here in Rome.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 12/09/14 at 05:01:59

Pesci:

I am surprised to hear someone would go to an American art exhibit while in Rome with all the treasures.

I suppose if you live in Rome you would want to see something a bit different ever once in a while.  Although, it is difficult for me to even type that.   Huh

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 12/12/14 at 08:31:43

drharveys - FSO wrote on 11/20/14 at 19:26:32:
Black poverty is urban and visible.
White poverty is rural and hidden.

There was an article on our local NPR station about a hospital closing in outstate (rural, White) Missouri.  The hospital had been declining over the years, but when the legislature decided not to approve Medicaid expansion, it went under.  Not only did the town it was located in lose some of its best paying jobs, but the local folks now need a 35 mile ambulance ride to obtain emergency care.  For routine care they are left to their own devices to deal with a 70 mile round trip.

The state legislature is overwhelmingly Republican, with a strong Tea Party bent.  It is clear that killing Medicaid expansion was seen as a way to either "not reward" or "punish" the urban (Black) poor.

Law of unexpected consequences anyone?

A blanket statement, though not entirely inaccurate, I am whate, and was poor and urban growing up
but most of my neighbors were minorities, both black and hispanic, depending what projects I was living in at the time

IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/14/14 at 19:32:21

I grew up in rural Mass. on a farm and live now in rural Maine. Poverty has to do with who has the power, who does not. Every town, city, state has their ruling elite- and they keep the power and wealth. Opportunity does come to people, but if enough pieces are not there- it is not opportunity. As a kid we employed people on our farm and sawmill that lived in tarpaper shacks unless they lived on our farm. They had nothing to shoot for. They were white. Samething in Maine- plenty of people living without electricity, deer jacking to get by, working under the table. They are white. I taught their kids. Poor is poor- and they are not ever going to college. Just graduating highschool is an accomplishment.
We are a lilywhite state population wise. If we had hispanics or African Americans- racism would rear its ugly head and hold them down.
The wealthy take care of their own,

Norman Rockwell was always an inspiration to me- representing what was best in people. He had a studio a few miles north of where I grew up.

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 16:39:55

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Black Poverty / White Poverty

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.