Laser
YaBB Newbies

I'd rather be
riding!

Central California Coast
Trouble Starting
11/18/14 at 20:30:56

Hey all,

The bike has been in the shop for almost a month now and we still can't figure out why she won't start. Easily.

To begin at the beginning:
A couple months ago my '09 would crank but never catch. Before this she'd start like a charm: never need to use the choke or throttle no matter the weather (not that we have much weather out here on the central California coast: 50 - 70 degree weather just about year round). I've put mostly highway miles on and am meticulous about changing the oil every 3,000 miles with Mobil 1 and the biggest change has been putting touring tires on.

Since she's been in the shop the stock petcock has been replaced with a Raptor, the carb cleaned, float adjusted, battery tested, wires checked, starter rebuilt, plug replaced and compression checked. Everything says she should jump back to life. Now it seems that she has to crank for a bit, shut her down completely (petcock and all), then play with the throttle from wide open and everything in between and hope she catches in the next few tries.

Once she catches she runs fine but getting her going is near impossible!

Does anyone have any ideas?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Trouble Starting
Reply #1 - 11/18/14 at 21:32:57

what year?
is it stock?

WWW   IP Logged
Laser
YaBB Newbies

I'd rather be
riding!

Central California Coast
Reply #2 - 11/19/14 at 07:58:18

Stock 2009; recently put a Raptor on hoping to fix the problem but hasn't helped

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 11/19/14 at 09:01:02

As Carl said in the movie Sling Blade, "Needs gas!"

I'm no expert and sorta being silly, but if everything else electrically checks out and it's guaranteed you are getting a spark, I'd bet you're missing fuel.

The elements of fire in the so called 'fire tetrahedron' are oxygen (you have it), heat (the spark), and fuel source (gas in this instance) and those make up the 'chemical reaction' (combustion).  Remove any of the three elements and the chemical reaction cannot exist.

images_007.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/19/14 at 09:10:48

I have a '96 that was hard starting.
dyna muf, stock intake, stock pilot jet.
The engine was burning oil so I pulled it to rebuild...
and in the mean time put an '02 in and it wouldn't start.
everything same except the engine.
swap out the carb and it starts right up.

You probably have an issue with the carb and may need another cleaning.
How was it cleaned before?

WWW   IP Logged
Laser
YaBB Newbies

I'd rather be
riding!

Central California Coast
Reply #5 - 11/19/14 at 09:24:12

I didn't clean the carb myself - the shop cleaned it. He said it was pretty clean already. I'm stopping by today to see how it's going (or - most likely - not going). I'll mention your situation when I get there.

The next step I'm considering is using some seafoam and seeing if that helps at all.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/19/14 at 09:46:17

Unless you KNOW the gas is fresh, dump it. Put some fresh gas in it, dump the carb bowl, put it on prime, drain the line from the tank, whatever, get rid of ALL of the old gas.. It not much gas, itll go in the car or whatever,, If it changes nothing,, okay, then ya KNOW its got good gas..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Laser
YaBB Newbies

I'd rather be
riding!

Central California Coast
Reply #7 - 11/19/14 at 10:13:58

I'll take a fresh gallon down there today and hope it's the problem. I'd be really surprised if it is though considering I usually buy from Chevron. I had a low tank when it quit starting right and the shop put a new gallon in to take it out for a test drive when he got it going.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 11/19/14 at 11:22:58

It's probably not the gas,itself,But,when I find myself in a puzzle I start eliminating things that Could potentially be part of the problem. The quickest,easiest,potential problem,first.
If this changes nothing,then get some ether,starting fluid for a diesel, access the intake, give it a Small squirt, don't piddle around and let it evaporate, hit the button...
If I didn't want mine to start,all I had to do was twist the gas...
I'd try no choke, no gas, no go? 1/2 choke, no gas,,, etc...

Make SURE the voltage the spark control box is getting is good enough WHILE the starter is loading the battery.
If you have not checked the ground on the engine near the right foot, I would. I'd pull it, clean it,

I'd do that first,if the gas doesn't do it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Laser
YaBB Newbies

I'd rather be
riding!

Central California Coast
Reply #9 - 11/19/14 at 12:13:34

It seems like playing with the throttle fixed the bad petcock problem while it was still on and then use the choke how you described: no choke and try, half choke and try, full choke and try.

Talked to Evan down at the shop over lunch today and he said he's been adjusting the carb to get it started right but when he got it to start right then it wouldn't run right; then he'd adjust it to get it running right but then it wouldn't start right again so he's been trying to find a happy medium between the two. I'd like to replace the carb but I don't exactly have the money to drop on a whole new one.

I'll ask about the electrical he's done when i head down there tomorrow. One of the first things I checked was the ground. Pretty sure it got cleaned while it was in the shop, too; it's shinier than before I dropped it off.

IP Logged
Laser
YaBB Newbies

I'd rather be
riding!

Central California Coast
Reply #10 - 11/20/14 at 07:39:12

PMd by a forum member selling a '97 carb. Would it fit my '09?

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #11 - 11/20/14 at 07:48:43

I have had more than one spark plug that refused to work under compression. Sparks fine when out of the engine, but not while screwed in. Put a brand new plug in and see.

NGK:s are notorious with this behaviour. Also, they cannot take one single "flooded" condition without giving up.

Plus check your decompression lever. If it´s too tight (valve semi-open), the engine won´t fire up due to the constant compression drop.

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 11/20/14 at 08:04:28

Laser wrote on 11/20/14 at 07:39:12:
PMd by a forum member selling a '97 carb. Would it fit my '09?

yes

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 11/20/14 at 08:48:27

air filter?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 11/20/14 at 08:51:47

Bluesman wrote on 11/20/14 at 07:48:43:
I have had more than one spark plug that refused to work under compression. Sparks fine when out of the engine, but not while screwed in. Put a brand new plug in and see.

Agreed. Had this happen when doing a post-storage overhaul on a riding mower that was sitting up for a while. Thought something major was bad because of being in storage and turned out that the plug was faulty right out of the box.  New plug and she ran like new.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:28:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trouble Starting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.